New players are very articulate

buriat

I listened to the interviews of the new players on UTSports.com. They all were very articulate and handled the interviews like they have been doing them for years.

I don't know if all the travel on the AAU circuit is helping kids be better prepared to interact with media or we are just fortunate to have four sharp guys. They should be able to be helpful in recruiting these next few classes.

Reactions: 4 people
I listened to the interviews of the new players on UTSports.com. They all were very articulate and handled the interviews like they have been doing them for years.

I don't know if all the travel on the AAU circuit is helping kids be better prepared to interact with media or we are just fortunate to have four sharp guys. They should be able to be helpful in recruiting these next few classes.

From what I've seen on the AAU circuit there aren't any media interviews with the kids. They are probably kids who come from homes where good grammar and poise is taught, expected and used.

It would be refreshing to see an interview with an athlete that wasn't rife with the usual platitudes and sports clichés, but that's extremely rare and I haven't run across any lately.

It would be refreshing to see an interview with an athlete that wasn't rife with the usual platitudes and sports clichés, but that's extremely rare and I haven't run across any lately.

Missed Marshawn Lynch didnt you ?

I'll admit I haven't seen many interviews lately, not due to lack of interest but due to lack of free time. Been working 7 days a week, 12 hours a day here in Kuwait.

From what I've seen on the AAU circuit there aren't any media interviews with the kids. They are probably kids who come from homes where good grammar and poise is taught, expected and used.

YouTube is littered with media interviews of prospects during AAU or camp events. For that matter, just go to the recruiting forum here and every player thread has multiple, multiple interviews with prospects breaking down the recruiting process and where they are in the process itself, what they are looking for in a prospective school/coach/program, etc.

Maybe you mistook interviews for press conferences or something, but interviews have been synonymous with recruiting for as long as I can remember, and with the growing existence of social media and internet reporting, it has grown exponentially, and continues to do so.

YouTube is littered with media interviews of prospects during AAU or camp events. For that matter, just go to the recruiting forum here and every player thread has multiple, multiple interviews with prospects breaking down the recruiting process and where they are in the process itself, what they are looking for in a prospective school/coach/program, etc.

Maybe you mistook interviews for press conferences or something, but interviews have been synonymous with recruiting for as long as I can remember, and with the growing existence of social media and internet reporting, it has grown exponentially, and continues to do so.

:eek:lol:Chris you're too funny. I'm not interested at all in looking at any of the aforementioned interviews. "Been there, done that!" I'm Just commenting that AAU interviews may not be the only reason why the young men spoke intelligently. All that rambling about players breaking down the recruit process imo, was unnecessary.

You are way off base here, my dear, assuming that maybe I mistook interviews for press conferences. LOL That's Soooo funny. I know the difference between an interview and a press conference. I have witnessed and participated in both during my lifetime. I went through interviews numerous times with Jabari. Our most noted interview was with Morgan Spurlock from CNN's Inside Man Series when Jabari was featured on that program. So interviews are nothing new to me.

My one and only point here is that while occasional interviews may give players practice using good grammar they certainly do not not teach players how to use it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
My one and only point here is that while occasional interviews may give players practice using good grammar they certainly do not not teach players how to use it.

Except that's not your one and only point...

From what I've seen on the AAU circuit there aren't any media interviews with the kids.

Right there in black and white, you say there "aren't any media interviews with the kids".

That isn't true at all, and when I tried to point you in the direction of some as example, you basically scoff and mock it, and proceed to tell me I'm off base while boasting about your personal experiences.

I don't get it. My post wasn't an attempt to scold or demean you, but whatever.

Reactions: 1 person
I had a lot of contact as an adult with UT basketball players in the later Mears years and Devoe years. In general I think the overall experience with new environments is much different from that era and the era when I was on campus in the sixties. Many of the players came to campus with virtually no exposure to the areas outside their cities or towns. Now kids are traveling all the time with AAU.

I doubt travel experience and interaction with the new is the most important factor in how a new player can relate. I 'd put the family environment first but I don't think many of the players I knew who were plenty smart could have been as at ease as these guys were right off the bat. I did see a remarkable change over four years and always thought even guys that dropped out got something out of the college experience.

Except that's not your one and only point...Right there in black and white, you say there "aren't any media interviews with the kids". ( You conveniently left off what I said just before that. I started by saying "From what I've seen..." I was speaking from my own experience. Not anyone else's.)

That isn't true at all, (you took my comment out of context. I never made the comment in the context you mentioned above.) and when I tried to point you in the direction (that was your direction, not mine.) of some as example, you basically scoff and mock it, and proceed to tell me I'm off base while boasting about your personal experiences. (Not boasting. Merely letting you know that I didn't need a lesson on recruiting or interviewing. I've done that on a professional level, even on my job).

I don't get it. (Here's is what I don't get...why do you always have to make snide remarks about my posts like I'm illiterate? when I don't know something I'll ask like I always do). My post wasn't an attempt to scold or demean you, (Really? Your comment, IMO, was demeaning. You said..."Maybe you mistook interviews for press conferences or something." Really, like I don't know the difference. C'mon dude. Give me more credit than that. but whatever.

Thought we were cool:cool:, but then you come at me like this. :stop:

Thought we were cool:cool:, but then you come at me like this. :stop:

Sorry, but I was speaking from what I have experienced. I thought that was ok to do. You certainly did.

Your LOLs, telling me how "misinformed" and "silly" I was, and basically dismissing the information I was trying to present just rubbed me wrong when I was merely attempting a civil discussion.

How did you really expect that to be received?

EDIT: Just noticed the last line (I originally only read what was in red). I genuinely was not trying to come at you in a negative sense. You can either believe that or not. Since when have I "always made snide remarks" towards you? Twice we have gotten cross in a year+ (both times seem to have been from a misunderstanding no less), and that suddenly equates to always, all the time? Thinking that you may have misunderstood something isn't calling you illiterate. None of us are perfect and none of us understand things at face value all the time, myself included.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Sorry, but I was speaking from what I have experienced. I thought that was ok to do. You certainly did.

Your LOLs, telling me how "misinformed" and "silly" I was, and basically dismissing the information I was trying to present just rubbed me wrong when I was merely attempting a civil discussion.

How did you really expect that to be received?

EDIT: Just noticed the last line (I originally only read what was in red). I genuinely was not trying to come at you in a negative sense. You can either believe that or not. Since when have I "always made snide remarks" towards you? Twice we have gotten cross in a year+ (both times seem to have been from a misunderstanding no less), and that suddenly equates to always, all the time? Thinking that you may have misunderstood something isn't calling you illiterate. None of us are perfect and none of us understand things at face value all the time, myself included.

I gave you a like on this is post. I now believe you were sincere. I have several posters coming at me all the time with snide remarks. Sometimes its hard for me to keep with who's who. We are just reading too much into what each other write.

Last edited:
Except that's not your one and only point...

Right there in black and white, you say there "aren't any media interviews with the kids".

That isn't true at all, and when I tried to point you in the direction of some as example, you basically scoff and mock it, and proceed to tell me I'm off base while boasting about your personal experiences.

I don't get it. My post wasn't an attempt to scold or demean you, but whatever.

I'm starting to see a pattern here.

VN Store

Back