Willie Carmichael discusses foul trouble, transfer and his opinion on TN (to WKU)

iKrager

Willie Carmichael discusses transfer from Tennessee basketball team - GoVolsXtra Story

Very good read on Carmichael and what he thought of Tyndall and this season, talks about going up against better big men and his transition to college. Worth the full read.

"After Coach Tyndall and the staff got in trouble with the NCAA, I was waiting it out to make sure I could stay here," Carmichael said. "It was so hard. I really needed a fresh start. It was so hard to try to play for a new coaching staff. I just needed a redshirt year to sit out and get myself back together. Coach Barnes and his staff were good to me. They welcomed me with open arms."

"I just have to get myself together, try to gain some muscle and stuff like that," he said. "Coming in, I thought I was going to be a redshirt freshman. That didn't turn out how it should have been. Eric McKnight never got qualified to come into the SEC. And Jabari (McGhee) hurt his foot and got to redshirt. Me and Tariq were out there trying to give our all every single night, competing against good bigs like (Vanderbilt forward) Damian Jones and (Arkansas forward) Bobby Portis."

Thank you so much WC3, I hope you do well wherever you end up. Get that redshirt and prove everyone wrong.

Reactions: 14 people
Poor guy, sounds like he's disappointed on how his career has started. Having to play early along with Tyndall's mess has really taken a toll on him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
:yes:
Willie Carmichael discusses transfer from Tennessee basketball team - GoVolsXtra Story

Very good read on Carmichael and what he thought of Tyndall and this season, talks about going up against better big men and his transition to college. Worth the full read.
I appreciate your posting this article. It just bears out a post that I made days after Tyndall was fired. Willie, Tariq, Armani, and I can imagine several others took that event with extreme difficulty! They had built a relationship with the coaching staff and probably were completely deflated as a result of what happened.

Also, I was glad to hear what he had to say about the redshirt situation for himself and Tariq. It's a wonder that they were able to finish the season at .500 under those circumstances. People who called CDT a horrible coach would probably not get an endorsement from the team concerning that opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Now, he will have a great understanding what it takes to play at this level and beyond if possible, yea he may have played to early but now re-shirting will allow him to get the gains he needs.

soonervol you should like this:
6'10"
Austin Meyer (Mustang, OK), moves extremely well for a big man, athletic, good hands, good shot. Went 28-0 and won oklahoma's largest class, Class 6A title (won by 39 points in the title game). Has Tennessee high on his list and developed a relationship with Coach Lanier, who by the way is a big time recruiter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StqTOSOnJFk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGcU3XwIXHs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ru8HUV700k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEEgmMWmWb0

Reactions: 2 people
I'm guessing he will ignore this...

When I see a post that is directed at me, I do not ignore it. I am not an ostrich and stick my head in the sand like some!

Also, BTO and I had a discussion in the "walk-on tryouts" thread and he made a promise to me that if I answered his questions, then he would answer mine. I believe that I answered all of his questions and he failed to keep his word! Talk about ignoring. I don't deal in ancient history, so the question that he asked in this thread is passé!

Ya'll hang in there now, ya hea!

Roger, and out.

:yes:I appreciate your posting this article. It just bears out a post that I made days after Tyndall was fired. Willie, Tariq, Armani, and I can imagine several others took that event with extreme difficulty! They had built a relationship with the coaching staff and probably were completely deflated as a result of what happened.

Also, I was glad to hear what he had to say about the redshirt situation for himself and Tariq. It's a wonder that they were able to finish the season at .500 under those circumstances. People who called CDT a horrible coach would probably not get an endorsement from the team concerning that opinion.

Such a good post till you bring up people here saying Donnie Tyndall was/is a horrible coach. I rarely if ever ask, but please provide a link to someone saying he's a horrible coach.? He was/is a fine coach. Recruiter, I think the jury was still out. The reason he not coaching here isnt because he's a horrible coach.

Last edited:
Such a good post till you bring up people here saying Donnie Tyndall was/is a horrible coach. I rarely if ever ask, but please provide a link to someone saying he's a horrible coach.? He was/is a fine coach. Recruiter, I think the jury was still out. The reason he not coaching here isnt because he's a horrible coach.

There were some...one in particular, who hinted and alleged at it from the very beginning of the hire. They'd go silent after Butler and pick up after Vandy. I for one was impressed with his coaching, but his grade would have to be incomplete.

SIU Carbondale could use you, Willie.

Then again, Saluki basketball could use anyone with a pulse and a smidgen of talent these days.

Per Ben Fredrickson, "Transfer Update: It appears Western Kentucky could be a likely landing spot for former UT forward Willie Carmichael."

Poor guy, sounds like he's disappointed on how his career has started. Having to play early along with Tyndall's mess has really taken a toll on him.

He had to play early because of Cuonzo unfortunately. Just another reason to not like the guy, left our cupboard pretty damn bare. At least Buzz left Pearl a ton and Pearl left Cuonzo some as well.

He had to play early because of Cuonzo unfortunately. Just another reason to not like the guy, left our cupboard pretty damn bare. At least Buzz left Pearl a ton and Pearl left Cuonzo some as well.

Cuonzo didn't tell Tyndall to run off Cofer, Davis, Cornish and Turman...4 guys who could've helped at the 4/5 last year, so blaming Zo for Tyndall's "bare cupboard" is simply a lame excuse imo

Cuonzo didn't tell Tyndall to run off Cofer, Davis, Cornish and Turman...4 guys who could've helped at the 4/5 last year, so blaming Zo for Tyndall's "bare cupboard" is simply a lame excuse imo
This all day. He technically didn't have to release them, he released them basically as soon as he (Donnie) got the job.

I remember reading that Donnie met with Cofer's parents and Donnie barely knew who the Phil Cofer was, and the parents were very turned off by it.

All this crap again. :pinch: Anybody have some old Jerry Green gripes to b**** about? They're so old they're actually fresher.

VN Store

Back