OT-Tony jones resigns at Auburn

buriat

That is pretty shocking news when you look at the history of Pearl and Jones. If he doesn't have a job lined up, it is not the best time to looking for one.

Pearl promoted his director of operations to full time and named Stephen Pearl to replace him.Pearl doesn't dump Tony just to promote Stephen in late May. That's for sure.

That is pretty shocking news when you look at the history of Pearl and Jones. If he doesn't have a job lined up, it is not the best time to looking for one.

Pearl promoted his director of operations to full time and named Stephen Pearl to replace him.Pearl doesn't dump Tony just to promote Stephen in late May. That's for sure.

More NCAA issues?

Reactions: 3 people
Not realizing this was the basketball forum, I thought this thread was about an OT who re-signed with the Auburn football team.

Reactions: 12 people
Probably belongs more in the Around the NCAA Forum. We are now in our third HC/staff since Pearl was at UT.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not sure Pearl can stay clean at Auburn. Way too much history with the NCAA and Auburn. Tony probably saw some of the stuff going on and decided he didn't want to be associated with that crap. At least, I hope that's the case.

Boosters can be good and bad. Google some of the stuff little Bowden encountered as their football coach. Slush fund was run by a banker who went under with the issues of the banking industry in 2008.

Auburn men's basketball announces staff changes

May 29, 2015

The Auburn men's basketball staff will have a different look under second-year head coach Bruce Pearl in 2015-16 as assistant coach Tony Jones has resigned to pursue other coaching opportunities, while current assistant coach Chuck Person, and staff members Todd Golden and Steven Pearl have each been promoted.

One of the greatest players in Auburn history, Person has been elevated to associate head coach and has been signed to a three-year contract. Golden, who was the director of basketball operations last season, has been promoted to assistant coach, while Pearl will assume Golden's operations position after serving as an assistant strength and conditioning coach.

"Tony and I have been together for many years and accomplished a lot of great things together," Pearl said. "I am appreciative of Tony's contributions and thank him and his family."

A 20-year college coaching veteran, Jones spent 11 seasons as an assistant to Pearl at Auburn, Tennessee and Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

"After much thought, careful consideration and conversations with my family, I have decided to pursue another coaching opportunity," Jones said. "My family and I have enjoyed our time at Auburn and the way we were welcomed and embraced by the entire Auburn family. I want to thank Coach Pearl for his friendship, loyalty and our long-time relationship coaching together."

The all-time leading scorer at Auburn with 2,311 points, Person was a two-time All-American at Auburn (1985-86) a three-time first-team All-SEC pick. A 13-year NBA veteran, Person joined Auburn's staff last year after coaching 14 years professionally, including 13 in the NBA.

"There's not a more qualified and capable assistant coach in the country than Chuck Person," Pearl said. "He has tremendous ability to teach the game and communicate to players and there's not a person better than Chuck that knows what it takes to help me lead the Auburn program back to where it belongs."

A former standout at Saint Mary's, Golden helped lead the Gaels to a pair of NCAA Tournament appearances and was second in the nation in assists to turnover ratio as a senior in 2007-08. Golden came to Auburn in 2014 from Columbia where he was an assistant coach and director of basketball operations in two years.

"When our season ended, Todd was pursued and offered coaching positions, yet he chose to stay at Auburn and help me build this program," Pearl said. "One of my goals when I hired him was to have him on my coaching staff within two years. As a former standout point guard at Saint Mary's, he will now be able to be more involved in recruiting and be able to be on the floor with our new point guards, so the timing couldn't be better."

Steven Pearl played four years at Tennessee from 2007-11, helping the Vols to four NCAA Tournament appearances, two SEC East championships and an Elite 8 appearance in 2010. Pearl was a medical sales representative for Stryker Corporation for three years before joining the Auburn staff.

"It's been a blessing to be Steven's father and watch him grow up, play basketball at the SEC level and be his coach," Pearl said. "For him to give up a promising career outside of the game and join me when I came to Auburn is rewarding and significant. He has a great mind and this is another valuable step necessary to be successful head coach."

For more information about Auburn men's basketball visit AuburnTigers.com.

I'm not sure Pearl can stay clean at Auburn. Way too much history with the NCAA and Auburn. Tony probably saw some of the stuff going on and decided he didn't want to be associated with that crap. At least, I hope that's the case.

Boosters can be good and bad. Google some of the stuff little Bowden encountered as their football coach. Slush fund was run by a banker who went under with the issues of the banking industry in 2008.
Um, sure, Tony took the moral high ground. Yep, that's the ticket.
Guy was a sleeze.

Reactions: 2 people
Shay and Forbes were Pearl's allstars. T Jones was just good at scheduling and was a decent recruiter.

This is wonderful fodder for the conspiracy theorists but I understand Tony is going to be a head coach in Canada. That may sound like a step down but he desperately wants to be a head coach and needs head coaching experience. Its kind of like Dave Blatt coaching in Israel.

That's great. I hope he helps provide another leg of the pipeline to UT.

If my post is included in the conspiracy theory group, it was meant to be more half kidding and half possibility.(based off previous events btw)

I'm rooting for Jones and wish him the best but I find it very hard to believe Tony Jones walked away from a $225,000 a year gig at Auburn to coach minor league basketball in Canada where I doubt he will make 1/4 of that. It doesn't make sense.

What was said in TJ's resignation will be more believable if he's quickly named a head coach somewhere at a level higher than junior college.

Tony Basilio 's blog said Tony Jones leaving wasn't Tony's idea. Basilio said Bruce want to move up an assistant who was the lowest paid guy on the staff.

Basilio would know if Jones was forced out as he was a frequent guess on the radio show. I wouldn't conclude however that the only reason Tony is leaving is because Pearl wanted to promote someone else. There are usually more to staff changes than what the general public hears.

Tony Basilio 's blog said Tony Jones leaving wasn't Tony's idea. Basilio said Bruce want to move up an assistant who was the lowest paid guy on the staff.

Basilio would know if Jones was forced out as he was a frequent guess on the radio show. I wouldn't conclude however that the only reason Tony is leaving is because Pearl wanted to promote someone else. There are usually more to staff changes than what the general public hears.

Was the "lowest paid guy on the staff"'s last name Pearl by any chance? :gone:

Not surprising that Steven wasn't the lowest to begin with.

A bit misleading on my part in my reply...the move was made not to give anyone a pay raise, the move was made to promote what is thought of as a rising star, that's Golden. By losing Jones, everyone moved up a spot, including Steven, I'm not sure of their salary numbers but Steven probably makes less than Golden...poor wording on my part.

Stephen was an assistant strength and conditioning coach. He benefited by getting a better job and. I assume a better salary.

I have my doubts that the salary issue was all there is to it. This new assistant didn't just get here a week ago. Basilio and jones are friends. I think Jones let know Basilio he was let go. I am guessing with no inside information that more will come out about this split .

Stephen was an assistant strength and conditioning coach. He benefited by getting a better job and. I assume a better salary.

I have my doubts that the salary issue was all there is to it. This new assistant didn't just get here a week ago. Basilio and jones are friends. I think Jones let know Basilio he was let go. I am guessing with no inside information that more will come out about this split .

We haven't heard the whole story yet would be my guess.

Golden wasn't an assistant, by Jones leaving it opened the spot up for Golden to move to the bench.

VN Store

Back