New strength and conditioning coach

buriat

VQ war Room said Barnes has a new strength and conditioning coach. They mentioned his name but since it was in their "war room" , I'll refrain from mentioning it since that is their request. I am sure it will be coming out soon.

He is a " no name" for sure but he does use the same approach Todd Wright used at Texas. Apparently Wright uses a lot of stuff that physical therapist use in addition to normal weight training. Who knows if it is better or worse than any other approach but it is clear that some NBA people and former Texas players like it.In doing some research on the Barnes Wright relationship which goes back to Clemson, Barnes not only liked the system but used it as a recruiting tool.

This hire will show again that relationships and trust often trump resumes when it comes to being part of a new staff.

Reactions: 2 people
VQ war Room said Barnes has a new strength and conditioning coach. They mentioned his name but since it was in their "war room" , I'll refrain from mentioning it since that is their request. I am sure it will be coming out soon.

He is a " no name" for sure but he does use the same approach Todd Wright used at Texas. Apparently Wright uses a lot of stuff that physical therapist use in addition to normal weight training. Who knows if it is better or worse than any other approach but it is clear that some NBA people and former Texas players like it.In doing some research on the Barnes Wright relationship which goes back to Clemson, Barnes not only liked the system but used it as a recruiting tool.

This hire will show again that relationships and trust often trump resumes when it comes to being part of a new staff.

Reading between the lines, I'll guess he was an assistant to Todd Wright somewhere down the line.

What's the current status on Todd Wright?

I had a feeling Wright was not coming to Tennessee. He and Barnes have been together for over 20 years. If he wanted to come to Knoxville, he would have been announced long ago. I wonder what the deal is with our own Todd? Hopefully, the guys will get behind this new guy and not miss a beat.

Garrett Mendenwald is in Knoxville . I assume he didn't fly in to see Garth Brooks. Don't the players start coming in this weekend?

VQ war Room said Barnes has a new strength and conditioning coach. They mentioned his name but since it was in their "war room" , I'll refrain from mentioning it since that is their request. I am sure it will be coming out soon. He is a " no name" for sure but he does use the same approach Todd Wright used at Texas. Apparently Wright uses a lot of stuff that physical therapist use in addition to normal weight training. Who knows if it is better or worse than any other approach but it is clear that some NBA people and former Texas players like it.In doing some research on the Barnes Wright relationship which goes back to Clemson, Barnes not only liked the system but used it as a recruiting tool. This hire will show again that relationships and trust often trump resumes when it comes to being part of a new staff.
Pardon my uninformed input, but isn't this a big ? for a new staff going after a championship? Maybe someone can explain it to me. I want Vol basketball to be as successful as football, I honestly do, but how do we bring an assistant strength and conditioning coach to the University of Tennessee to replace Todd Moyer? It's the same as releasing Al Pinkins, our recruiting coordinator and a guy known as one of the best recruiters in the business. For these kids, I want as much success as they can possibly have. Maybe it will work out, I sure hope so.

Pardon my uninformed input, but isn't this a big ? for a new staff going after a championship? Maybe someone can explain it to me. I want Vol basketball to be as successful as football, I honestly do, but how do we bring an assistant strength and conditioning coach to the University of Tennessee to replace Todd Moyer? It's the same as releasing Al Pinkins, our recruiting coordinator and a guy known as one of the best recruiters in the business. For these kids, I want as much success as they can possibly have. Maybe it will work out, I sure hope so.

Our coach probably hopes so also...I'd imagine he has more at stake in this hire...and doesn't want to disappoint you.

I too wanted Tyndall to work out...I was excited about his coaching ability. He's gone, and the replacement has been doing this coaching thing for awhile...and very successfully at each stop. Al Pinkins is respected and very good at his job...but he was here for one year...not irreplaceable...Coach Barnes had his own guy for that spot and if the new strength coach is Wright's former assistant, Barnes knows his capabilities. Simple stuff SD...don't make it complicated. :hi:

Reactions: 1 person

I'm sorry, what had Todd Moyer done that made him a championship caliber S&C coach? Is it simply because he had been Tyndall's guy, that's why you feel that way? If so, maybe now that both are unemoloyed Moyer can get Tyndall into shape and out of the big & tall store.

VN Store

Back