You like the idea of a yearly neutral site game in Nashville?

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
I read where Rick Barnes said at the BOC last night that an annual neutral site game in Nashville is a realistic possibility.

Do you like the idea and are you in favor of this happening?

I read where Rick Barnes said at the BOC last night that an annual neutral site game in Nashville is a realistic possibility.

Do you like the idea and are you in favor of this happening?

I think so. For recruiting purposes and to establish a presence in the mid state area would be huge.

I think it would be great for football and basketball. I think this is the main reason Pastner (sp?) no longer wanted to play us in Memphis. He knew we were gonna start pulling kids out of his backyard. Developing a stronger presence around the state can only help us in recruiting and in building our brand. :twocents:

I think so. For recruiting purposes and to establish a presence in the mid state area would be huge.

This. The midstate is booming right now from a population standpoint, and many of those peoplr are moving in from out of the area, similar to the growth Atlanta experienced 20 years ago. Thy have no connection to the University of Tennessee, and bringing the product to them is a good thing. I'm all for a football game at LP Field too. Maybe not every year, but every other year seems like a great idea. Basketball plays so many more games, that I think you can afford to play once in Nashville every year. That exposure to a large population is only good for UT.

Reactions: 3 people
I think it would be great for football and basketball. I think this is the main reason Pastner (sp?) no longer wanted to play us in Memphis. He knew we were gonna start pulling kids out of his backyard. Developing a stronger presence around the state can only help us in recruiting and in building our brand. :twocents:

In theory, your comment is very true. In reality, though, it's a business decision. Pastner has little control over his own schedule (sad but true). The Memphis AD has made it clear that until Tennessee agrees to play Memphis every year in football, don't expect to Memphis to play Tennessee in basketball. There has to be a quid pro quo and so far Tennessee has been unwilling.

I think it's great. We should do it in Memphis too & make it a point to play Chattanooga & ETSU fairly often in order to rep the Big Orange there too

Reactions: 1 person
An extra game in Nashville would be beneficial for the fans that cannot make it to TBA to see UT play and it would give the basketball program more exposure to potential recruits.

I like seeing big name teams in TBA
On the other hand scheduling games for neutral sites like Nashville is a good thing and could entice the team to play us, but help recruiting.

If Memphis does not want to play us, then schedule another team to play us in Memphis (maybe a Midwest team like Kansas or Oklahoma). During the Ernie and Bernie years we played a late season game in Atlanta against UCLA. Once we rebuild the roster these type national games will be fun to watch

I like it and it is not really neutral most of the fans will be for Tennessee. It certainly should help recruiting in the area and a lot of good players starting to come out of Nashville.

I'd like to see one played in Atlanta, especially since their are a couple of Georgia boys on the team. We could draw some top players from this area as well.

VN Store

Back