Our roster situation

volsack7

With the latest addition of Alexander, I feel much better about our roster situation:

Turner - 1/2
Bonds - 1/2
Punter - 1/2
Mostella - 2
Phillips - 2
Baulkman - 2/3
Hubbs - 3
Schofield - 3
Moore - 3/4
Reese - 4
McGhee - 4
Kasongo - 4/5
Alexander - 5

This is a deeper and much more complete roster than last year, especially at the 1 and 4/5.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
There is still a metric butt ton of production on both sides of the floor that is now vacant with the graduation of Josh

The rest of the roster has improved however. Hopefully it will be enough

Reactions: 2 people
With the latest addition of Alexander, I feel much better about our roster situation:

Turner - 1/2
Bonds - 1/2
Punter - 1/2
Mostella - 2
Phillips - 2
Baulkman - 2/3
Hubbs - 3
Schofield - 3
Moore - 3/4
Reese - 4
McGhee - 4
Kasongo - 4/5
Alexander - 5

This is a deeper and much more complete roster than last year, especially at the 1 and 4/5.

Hubbs is a 2 and I would expect Baulkman to be a solid 3.

I'm not all gung-ho GI Joe about this but honestly it's a respectable roster. The SEC isn't amazingly strong and you saw what LSU did with good players. With Barnes pulling in a decent roster he could compete for 4-7 spot in the SEC. I'm never one to talk smack because it's been a rough decade for all my teams. But the way Florida fans talked to us has caused me to kind of grin at the thought that we might be better than them in basketball and football in the same year. I don't think I could name too many years that was the case.

But we'll find out on the competition field.

Reactions: 5 people
still have an open scholly. still hoping for a transfer experienced point guard.

regardless, hubbs and punter wlll be in the starting five along with a point and 2 bigs, probably mcgree and Kosango. that said, plenty of opportunity for a lot of people to play a lot of minutes.

Kasongo averaged close to 17mpg in JUCO. I wouldn't count on him playing more than 20mpg. Just a thought. McGhee is a legit player if he can stay out of foul trouble and Derek Reese will challenge time at the 4.

It all depends if we get James White, which we currently are leading his recruitment. If we can get him, we don't have to worry about playing Reese or a freshmen (Kasongo is new to the SEC and Alexander is a frosh) playing the 5 spot more than 10mpg.

Reactions: 1 person
It also would be something less than surprising if someone else with few ties to the school or the current staff looked to move on in the near future. The staff is certainly recruiting as though there will be another spot available on the 2015-16 roster.

-VQ

Gotta think that's Baulkman or Mostella

Izundu is set to announce on May 15. If the Vols get bad news then, look for them to move aggressively after Arkansas-Little Rock transfer James White. HeÂ’s a fifth year guy who will be eligible to play immediately. HeÂ’s also getting a ton of attention at the moment, but the buzz weÂ’re picking up is that the Vols will be firmly in the mix if they begin the chase in earnest.

If the Vols miss on Izundu look for White to be on campus in a hurry as a visitor.

Speaking of visits, the Vols are still holding on to a pair of them at the moment. If White takes one, our expectation is that the staff will hold onto the other one and carry it into the summer with the expectation of using it towards acquiring some transfer help.

-VQ

Honestly, if I don't feel very confident about Izundu I'm not putting White on hold.

Reactions: 1 person
Having true PG's will help tremendously. Really hate Josh didn't get the chance to play the 2. Having to play the 1 just takes so much energy out of you. I'm really going to miss Josh though. Favorite player in a while.

Reactions: 3 people
Kasongo averaged close to 17mpg in JUCO. I wouldn't count on him playing more than 20mpg. Just a thought.

Look at their roster though. They had 9 guys average 10+ mpg, and all 14 players on the team averaged at least 8 mpg. They spread the minutes out pretty evenly.

I wouldn't view his relatively limited minutes as a reflection of his ability. It appears to be a part of the system.

Look at their roster though. They had 9 guys average 10+ mpg, and all 14 players on the team averaged at least 8 mpg. They spread the minutes out pretty evenly.

I wouldn't view his relatively limited minutes as a reflection of his ability. It appears to be a part of the system.
His coach also went to say Kasongo would need to condition and prepare himself before he's ready for the SEC. Barnes likes his big men to get up the floor right? I just don't see Kasongo getting more than 20-25mpg, just based on our depth and I don't think he'll be experienced enough. I guess it depends on who else we add.

His coach also went to say Kasongo would need to condition and prepare himself before he's ready for the SEC. Barnes likes his big men to get up the floor right? I just don't see Kasongo getting more than 20-25mpg, just based on our depth and I don't think he'll be experienced enough. I guess it depends on who else we add.

Where did his coach say that? Not saying you're lying, I just don't recall reading that. But yes, it will heavily depend on who else we add, most didn't expect Carmichael to be playing the minutes he did last year, but it happens.

That roster would look a lot better without Reese IMO

I agree. One player graduating I can't wait for. Probably a nice guy. But not a high quality power 5 player. He makes 1 good play. And then 3 mistakes. If he could just be a consistent good or bad player. Then we could say what a good player he is. Or show him to the airport and make room. But at times he comes through when we need rebounding. Or a big three. I'm just always on the fence with this guy.

Where did his coach say that? Not saying you're lying, I just don't recall reading that. But yes, it will heavily depend on who else we add, most didn't expect Carmichael to be playing the minutes he did last year, but it happens.

Heck I thought rays coach said he would be most athletic player in the league day 1. If he is then he gone play

VN Store

Back