Barnes and His Staffs Recruiting Philosophy

Oh boy. We're gonna have some guys that may have a stroke :):):). It appears the coaching staff may not go after the kind of guys volnation wants. This staff is going to recruit guys who are team players that are tough and play with a chip on their shoulder.

Reactions: 1 person
Oh boy. We're gonna have some guys that may have a stroke :):):). It appears the coaching staff may not go after the kind of guys volnation wants. This staff is going to recruit guys who are team players that are tough and play with a chip on their shoulder.

Yes but also they get very good players. I think it's more of a testament against the drama queen like recruits.

This should be required reading for anyone who wants to post in the basketball forum.

Dortch highlights a really good point that I immediately thought of when we decided to hire Barnes - full disclosure; I wasn't blown away by the hire - but he and his staff bring an instant credibility and relationships with a different caliber talent than Tyndall and his staff initially came with. That isn't a knock on Tyndall, and the same would be true of almost all mid-major coaches stepping up into a Power 5 conference for the first time.

Barnes' guys already had standing relationships with more elite players, and that extends beyond this year. So, in a sense, the recruiting curve isn't quite as sharp for them. Now, they are just selling their same ideas and philosophies to recruits and their families, just rebranded in Pantone 151 orange instead of burnt orange.

That seems like the most obvious perk to hiring a proven commodity, even if he is considered a retread by national critics. Barnes and staff have already established relationships with the level of recruit we hope to attract, and that will pay dividends moving forward with the 2016 class, as they are perhaps not as far behind as a newly minted hotshot coach/staff from the mid-major ranks would be on short notice.

Reactions: 5 people
Dortch highlights a really good point that I immediately thought of when we decided to hire Barnes - full disclosure; I wasn't blown away by the hire - but he and his staff bring an instant credibility and relationships with a different caliber talent than Tyndall and his staff initially came with. That isn't a knock on Tyndall, and the same would be true of almost all mid-major coaches stepping up into a Power 5 conference for the first time.

Barnes' guys already had standing relationships with more elite players, and that extends beyond this year. So, in a sense, the recruiting curve isn't quite as sharp for them. Now, they are just selling their same ideas and philosophies to recruits and their families, just rebranded in Pantone 151 orange instead of burnt orange.

That seems like the most obvious perk to hiring a proven commodity, even if he is considered a retread by national critics. Barnes and staff have already established relationships with the level of recruit we hope to attract, and that will pay dividends moving forward with the 2016 class, as they are perhaps not as far behind as a newly minted hotshot coach/staff from the mid-major ranks would be on short notice.

Excellent observation.
Excited about our future.

Excellent observation.
Excited about our future.

Thanks, and I am too. Probably most excited about the stability he'll bring to the position. That's a sad indictment on the state of things lately for this program, but continuity is probably the most important asset to building a program. We desperately need it, and Barnes is perfectly suited to provide it.

So, keep your eyes peeled for some Canadian North-of-the-border talent coming to Knoxville.

So, keep your eyes peeled for some Canadian North-of-the-border talent coming to Knoxville.

Eh?
131219_a620g_rci-eh_sn635.jpg

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back