Donovan to Thunder Impact on Vols

goldvol

VolNation's Lesser Poobah
Looks like Billy the Kid is leaving Florida. What kind of impact does this have on recruiting? Any immediate help for next year? I know it partially depends on who they hire.
Also, Florida will be tough to beat no matter who is at the helm, but this has to improve our chances in the next couple of years. I know we are still well below them in terms of talent and experience.

What do you think?

Billy Donovan agrees to multi-year deal with Oklahoma City Thunder

Immediately, they could lose Allen/Dickerson. Allen particularly was talked about on here a lot. Dickerson (a 4* PF) is someone I haven't heard anything about.

Long term, it could be interesting. UF should be able to go after some good names. They will still have talent and plenty of recruiting power. It'd take a big stumble by the new coach to bring UF downhill. I don't think we'll see them in anymore Elite 8's for a while, but they'll still be up there.

I wouldn't think you can confirm this until Florida hires someone, he has been known to go back to Florida before...after signing.

Reactions: 2 people
I think we usually play Florida pretty well. I remember one season they won a title and were 0-2 against our Vols.

Donovan is a hell of a coach, 20+ years and .700+ winning percentage.. man, thats tough. I'm anxious to see how he does in the NBA.

Reactions: 1 person
Immediately, they could lose Allen/Dickerson. Allen particularly was talked about on here a lot. Dickerson (a 4* PF) is someone I haven't heard anything about.

Long term, it could be interesting. UF should be able to go after some good names. They will still have talent and plenty of recruiting power. It'd take a big stumble by the new coach to bring UF downhill. I don't think we'll see them in anymore Elite 8's for a while, but they'll still be up there.

Allen to Arky unless they are full.

I think they make Anthony Grant the interim coach for 2015-2016 and land a big fish next year. Awfully late in the game to try and hire a coach. Never know, but something you don't want to rush (see Kiffin debacle here).

Maybe their new coach can name his son "Gaines".

Reactions: 1 person
I think they make Anthony Grant the interim coach for 2015-2016 and land a big fish next year. Awfully late in the game to try and hire a coach. Never know, but something you don't want to rush (see Kiffin debacle here).

Grant will follow BD to OKC unless he's named HC.

Pel will most likely stay on with new staff.

Not sure I agree with the analogy here. The Kiffin hire can be described many ways, but "rushed" is not a word that comes to mind. That's the tragedy of it. The unfortunate thing about that hire was that Mike Hamilton just bought the snake oil that Mr. Kiffin was peddling.

Grant will not stay behind, he leaves with Donovan.

Chris Mack and Archie Miller are at the top of their wish list according to media pundits.

VN Store

Back