Josh Richardson preparing for shot at NBA Draft

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Saw this from Chris Dortch. I'm pulling for Josh.

cdortch: Tue 08:55pm Former Tennessee guard Josh Richardson in California working on jump shot range and ball handling as he prepares for shot at NBA Draft.

Reactions: 17 people
Wouldn't surprise me to see Presti draft him to OKC in the 2nd round. He loves defensive guards. If Richardson does get drafted he will have to spend a little time in the d league or maybe even do what Jordy had to do this year.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Presti draft him to OKC in the 2nd round. He loves defensive guards. If Richardson does get drafted he will have to spend a little time in the d league or maybe even do what Jordy had to do this year.

I'd love that.

I have been waiting on this news since the season was over! I pray he makes the draft! He was awesome and he works hard on the court! Go get 'em JOSH!!!!

Reactions: 1 person
Reading DraftExpress' evaluation, playing in the zone defense last year really hurt his stock.

Reading DraftExpress' evaluation, playing in the zone defense last year really hurt his stock.

Yup, his biggest asset to an NBA team will be his man to man defense and he didn't get to demonstrate that at all this year.

I think he is gonna have to work his way into the league via free agency, d-league or Europe...but I have faith that he will find a way. He works too hard to not make it.

I would think He can fix that in team workouts. He can also point to 3 years worth of film where he did play man to man.

NBA teams are silly if not a single one drafts him at some point. He would help a lot of teams.

Reactions: 2 people
A new record guys. We made it 7 posts in until a former coaches name was mentioned...*slow clap*
👏👏👏

Reactions: 7 people

I understand this on the surface. But it seems flawed to me. He demonstrated to be and elite defender in the M2M system his sophomore and junior seasons. Then he is forced to played in a zone and he leads the SEC in steals and makes All-SEC. I think that is fodder for a website and not so much the opinions you will see coming from NBA GM's and coaches.

Reactions: 4 people
The man himself disagrees:

He'll have the ability to show it in workouts. I don't think the zone changed the fact that he's a lockdown man defender, but it was pretty much a year wasted. NBA teams would've liked to have seen 30 more games of him playing m-2-m defense.

I knew this would happen. Zone is junk. It probably did help us win games last season, and I'm not necessarily opposed to the zone defense in college. It can be effective. This isn't a college coach's job and therefore not a primary concern, but a zone system produces lousy defenders at the next level. Josh averaged over two steals a game this season, but it was more impressive watching him face guard the other team's best players his Junior season. He has that ability but wasn't able to showcase it in a junk D. A fringe NBA player wasn't able to showcase his best asset to scouts during his Senior season (when he would've gotten the greatest amount of exposure) and it hurt his draft stock. Nobody's fault, but that's just how the cards fell.

I knew this would happen. Zone is junk. It probably did help us win games last season, and I'm not necessarily opposed to the zone defense in college. It can be effective. This isn't a college coach's job and therefore not a primary concern, but a zone system produces lousy defenders at the next level. Josh averaged over two steals a game this season, but it was more impressive watching him face guard the other team's best players his Junior season. He has that ability but wasn't able to showcase it in a junk D. A fringe NBA player wasn't able to showcase his best asset to scouts during his Senior season (when he would've gotten the greatest amount of exposure) and it hurt his draft stock. Nobody's fault, but that's just how the cards fell.

overreaction to draftexpress???

I understand this on the surface. But it seems flawed to me. He demonstrated to be and elite defender in the M2M system his sophomore and junior seasons. Then he is forced to played in a zone and he leads the SEC in steals and makes All-SEC. I think that is fodder for a website and not so much the opinions you will see coming from NBA GM's and coaches.

Agree with the bolded in particular. He didn't stop being a great defender just because Tyndall used a zone defense. NBA scouts and coaches will recognize this.

overreaction to draftexpress???

Possibly. I still hate zone. And I said at the beginning of the season that this would hurt Richardson's development (do I get e-cred?). It might not hurt his draft stock at all, but I'd like to think playing his final season in man would've helped. We didn't have much to cheer for this season, so after a certain point it became all about stats and player development for me.

I don't know why any coach wouldn't want to coach both man and zone. Then use it based off matchup so. It's not hard. Man to Man should IMO be the primary defense but if you have a scout that says your going to be in trouble playing man then flip a zone on them. It's called being multiple, flexible and adjusting. Your selling your team short if you married to only man or zone

Just my opinion, of course, but I don't think a zone defense in and of itself creates a "bad defender". If coached properly, it will use "man" fundamentals, which translate well to a man-to-man defensive scheme. Perhaps it does reduce the overall effectiveness of a lock-down defender, but shouldn't hamper his ability to still defend in a man defense.

VN Store

Back