Barnes Ball with Rucker

Our current team won 16 games and were close to winning a lot more mainly due to the unique defense and the never say die playing style they were using not because they had more talent. It will be interesting to see how they do shifting back to the standard type of defense that most of the other SEC teams use. Here's hoping that Rick Barnes can work some of the magic that makes him among the elite in college basketball. This first recruiting class will be key since we lost Josh. Everything is going to be new. Hopefully, they can learn quickly.

Reactions: 3 people
"You don’t want to ask a player to do something he can’t do."

Hopefully he can recruit well enough that we don't see guys like Reese being forced to play positions that are impossible for them.

Also like his words on adapting to the players he has.
I'm taking, he'll run if he has the horses and play half court if he has mules.

Reactions: 2 people
"You don’t want to ask a player to do something he can’t do."

Hopefully he can recruit well enough that we don't see guys like Reese being forced to play positions that are impossible for them.

Also like his words on adapting to the players he has.
I'm taking, he'll run if he has the horses and play half court if he has mules.
I like how Barnes says he wants his players to do the thing they're best at. I'm a little disappointed, Barnes has had about 2 weeks now and he still doesn't know our players skillsets. All he has to do is look at old film to see what our players could and couldn't do.

Coach has been very polite since taking the job. He has tried to say the right things. Sometimes being a coach means being politically correct. Well Coach Barnes let me say what you can't say. Most if our roster sucks. When you say what their good at. You actually mean. D... They aren't good at much. We screwed.

Reactions: 1 person
I like how Barnes says he wants his players to do the thing they're best at. I'm a little disappointed, Barnes has had about 2 weeks now and he still doesn't know our players skillsets. All he has to do is look at old film to see what our players could and couldn't do.

And you know, he doesn't know his players yet, how?

Our current team won 16 games and were close to winning a lot more mainly due to the unique defense and the never say die playing style they were using not because they had more talent. It will be interesting to see how they do shifting back to the standard type of defense that most of the other SEC teams use. Here's hoping that Rick Barnes can work some of the magic that makes him among the elite in college basketball. This first recruiting class will be key since we lost Josh. Everything is going to be new. Hopefully, they can learn quickly.

Barnes is already among the elite in college bball. Plus any decent coach would have won 16 with this roster.

Barnes is adaptable , which hurt the last two coaches on defense. He knows how to exploit mismatches and play to the team strengths.

He will be the best coach we have had. If he can get close to matching his success at Texas.

Barnes is already among the elite in college bball. Plus any decent coach would have won 16 with this roster.

Barnes is adaptable , which hurt the last two coaches on defense. He knows how to exploit mismatches and play to the team strengths.

He will be the best coach we have had. If he can get close to matching his success at Texas.

Not many could've won 16 with what we had. and that's in no way a knock on the team or an endorsement of tyndall.

Not many could've won 16 with what we had. and that's in no way a knock on the team or an endorsement of tyndall.

We will just have to disagree. I think any decent coach should have got to .500 with J Rich and the role players around him. A better coach would have gotten J Rich more looks and exploited some mismatches we had and maybe won about 18 or 19. We were close but lost some tight games.

We will just have to disagree. I think any decent coach should have got to .500 with J Rich and the role players around him. A better coach would have gotten J Rich more looks and exploited some mismatches we had and maybe won about 18 or 19. We were close but lost some tight games.

I think this team could have easily been 21-11, or 22-10. A lot of close losses. But we could have easily been 10-22 as well.

No comment needed.

Coach has been very polite since taking the job. He has tried to say the right things. Sometimes being a coach means being politically correct. Well Coach Barnes let me say what you can't say. Most if our roster sucks. When you say what their good at. You actually mean. D... They aren't good at much. We screwed.

:cray: :birgits_giggle:

People really are this dumb.

K-town_king, absolutely solid post! I think it's the first time I've completely agreed with you (that I can remember :)}

Also, I think we win more games last season if Tyndall wasn't as stubborn with his zone. I understand the talent wasn't there but we had no business playing some teams in that defense. He showed his ability to change or at least flip different things at teams (see Vandy)

Watching a tape does not show you all a players strengths and weaknesses. It shows you how they perform in that system against whatever opponent they were playing. If a guy is a great outside shooter, but is only allowed to post up in his role how can you see it on tape? If he is a great man to man defender, but is always in zone or vice versa how can you see it? I remember for the longest people thought mcbee was a total loss on defense, but in his later years did a lot better when put in the right positions he was not a total liability.

until he sees them in practice no way he can really know if they fit his style of play or what style of play they are best suited for. then there are the guys that didn't get much pt/tape.

Ultimately, though, Barnes knows he’ll have to make some chicken salad in his first season in Knoxville. Those weren’t his exact words, obviously, but that’s the gist. He’ll have to see what he has and adapt accordingly.
-Rucker's wording of chicken salad basically means we have chicken sh&it. May be nothing but I don't like how he described what Barnes has to do when he said nothing in the few quotes we got that this is what he says. He said adapt.

Watching a tape does not show you all a players strengths and weaknesses. It shows you how they perform in that system against whatever opponent they were playing. If a guy is a great outside shooter, but is only allowed to post up in his role how can you see it on tape? If he is a great man to man defender, but is always in zone or vice versa how can you see it? I remember for the longest people thought mcbee was a total loss on defense, but in his later years did a lot better when put in the right positions he was not a total liability.

until he sees them in practice no way he can really know if they fit his style of play or what style of play they are best suited for. then there are the guys that didn't get much pt/tape.
Actually a coach can tell who does or doesn't fit his system based on film. That's why they recruit certain players. You can get a sense of what a players abilities are. All coaches do that.

VN Store

Back