Barnes announces full-time staff

iKrager

Barnes Announces Full-Time Coaching Staff - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

Tennessee head coach Rick Barnes announced his full-time coaching staff Tuesday. The group includes associate head coach Rob Lanier, and assistant coaches Chris Ogden and Desmond Oliver.
Lanier and Ogden both were members of Barnes' staff at Texas. Oliver spent the previous five seasons as an assistant coach at Charlotte and also boasts five years of coaching experience in the SEC. All three played collegiate basketball.

Merge if necessary.

Reactions: 9 people
I did not like the Barnes hire to begin with but as each day goes by, I like this hire more and more. After reading about his staff, I really feel good about the future of our team. GO VOLS!

Reactions: 1 person
I did not like the Barnes hire to begin with but as each day goes by, I like this hire more and more. After reading about his staff, I really feel good about the future of our team. GO VOLS!

Wow, you were the 1 out of the 99.9% that didn't like the hire?

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 people
I wanted them to retain Al Pinkins. I wish him well and hope he finds a great job coaching. But after looking at Desmond Oliver's history, I am excited about him because he has had much more history in recruiting at the major college level. While at Georgia, they signed a couple of 5 stars and several 4 star players. I believe he will be a good recruiter.

Reactions: 4 people
Yeah on paper Barnes > Pearl.

True. SEC basketball as we know it and have known it through most of the past has been KY and everyone else. I believe Barnes can get us back to being near or at the top of everyone else. If he can do that, then he was a home run hire.

Excellent staff. Excellent HC. Time to recruit. Time to win. Vol basketball gets to be fun again.

Reactions: 2 people
Judging from their bios it's pretty safe to say Lanier and Ogden can both recruit.

What about Oliver? It seems like he's had success as part of some rebuilding projects and knows this region. Can anyone shine a little more light on him for me?

Sorry for the dumb questions. Thanks in advance for the info. GBO!

Last edited:
It appears Barnes is piecing things together. Now that he has his staff together next will be recruiting. Our current team is still a bottom level team. It's imperative that his first recruiting class be ranked somewhere in the top 15. We should expect this, no less.

There are still some big time players unsigned Barnes can get.
It appears Barnes is piecing things together. Now that he has his staff together next will be recruiting. Our current team is still a bottom level team. It's imperative that his first recruiting class be ranked somewhere in the top 15. We should expect this, no less.

Slick Rick will be stylin' and profilin'. Mr. Barnes will get some good recruits in Knoxville. You can bet on that. Wooo!

You mean his 2016 class I hope. This years class will be bad but in 2016 we should have 4-5 scholarships and hopefully we keep our instate talent because it alone is a top 15 class

I thought Jai Lucas was coming. Support role perhaps?

Yes he's still young and was confirmed early on. So the recruiting ties with John Lucas are still intact. Barnes has no excuse to not recruit at a high level. He has KD and John Lucas in his corner plus two very good recruiting assistants (not a knock on Oliver but idk his track record with recruits) and a major university with a huge arena and hopefully the S&C coach comes as well.

VN Store

Back