'15 JUCO TX PG Rob Gray

iKrager

Wasn't a thread on him and I figured might as well make one for those who don't want to go through pages of the "Recruiting News" lol.

https://rivals.yahoo.com/nj/basketball/recruiting/player-Rob-Gray-171441

Anyway.

Rob Gray is a JUCO point guard Donnie Tyndall was recruiting before he got fired. Infact, Gray was on an official visit here and even ate dinner with Donnie the night before he (Donnie) was fired. FWIW, Rick Barnes does not usually recruit JUCO players and had never even heard of Gray before he was brought up by Pinkins.

Stats:

Gray averaged 18.2 points, 5.8 rebounds and 2.3 assists this past season. He shot 48.4 percent from the field, 36.1 percent from three and 80 percent from the free-throw line.

Rob Gray will be a sophomore and will have 3 years of eligibility left.

Reactions: 1 person
Some quotes fitting for this thread:

“I don’t want anything handed to me,” he said. “I want to earn my spot. But I know they don’t have any point guards, and I want to be an impact player.”

UT also offers proximity. Gray’s hometown of Forest City, N.C., is less than three hours away. His parents accompanied him during his visit.

“It’s (Tennessee) a good opportunity, even besides basketball,” he said. “Talk about getting your education, the fan base, the facilities. It had a lot to offer … Then you have Coach Rick Barnes. He’s been to 16 out of 17 NCAA tournaments (at Texas). If they still want me to come there, that would nice.”

- Rob Gray also has an Aunt who lives in Knoxville.

Reactions: 2 people
I know everyone wants the big time freshman, but facts are, for us to be successful we need to hit the JuCo ranks some. Pearl did it, and look at his success with Maze, etc. We need some immediate help at PG, and certain JuCo kids can offer that. I'm not a huge fan of taking 2 & 3 senior transfers, which I've seen mentioned on here. We need some JuCo guys who can play now but also have 2-3 years left of eligibility. If we can land a few JuCo guys to help immediately, Barnes can then focus on knocking out the 2016 class with elite freshman, hopefully one being a very good C prospect.

I know everyone wants the big time freshman, but facts are, for us to be successful we need to hit the JuCo ranks some. Pearl did it, and look at his success with Maze, etc. We need some immediate help at PG, and certain JuCo kids can offer that. I'm not a huge fan of taking 2 & 3 senior transfers, which I've seen mentioned on here. We need some JuCo guys who can play now but also have 2-3 years left of eligibility. If we can land a few JuCo guys to help immediately, Barnes can then focus on knocking out the 2016 class with elite freshman, hopefully one being a very good C prospect.
Agreed. We will have 4-5 scholarships in 2016 for prospects. Hopefully Ado and Blackwell take up 2 of those.

I'll be disappointed in Rick if he doesn't make this kid an offer.

It's easy to say that without knowing all the other kids that are potentially in play. Barnes may very well have someone else in mind that is perhaps a better fit and a true PG?!?! I'm sure they will talk before long-at least as soon as he gets his staff squared away.

Reactions: 4 people
Kids who really want to play for the Vols should be given preference over candidates of similar ability/potential who aren't really sure.

Have seen no video on him. He was a 2 star coming out of high school. Do not know how good he will be. But good coaches know players when they see them. I will trust Coach Barnes on this one.

I will trust Coach Barnes on this one.

Yep. I think we are recruiting in different waters now. Should be interesting to see what he does with this roster and staff.....especially the staff.

Yep. I think we are recruiting in different waters now. Should be interesting to see what he does with this roster and staff.....especially the staff.

Let's hope we have one of the big sharks in that new water hunting.

Rick Barnes is not at Texas because he is stubborn.
Don't forget he was fired. I just can't buy in on the idea of hiring someone who was just fired. I'd be shocked if he looks at this kid, even though all indications really present this as a great fit. Granted, there may be better options available, I don't know.

I see Barnes' being very reluctant to adjust his recruiting philosophy. Hey, prove me wrong. But, in my estimation Barnes career was starting to mirror Fulmer's. Barnes is a guy who doesn't respond well to change. He has his way.
Sure, he has won a lot of games. Fulmer was a HOF national champion coach, who lost his legacy simply because he was stubborn.

Reactions: 2 people
Barnes like Fulmer may be somewhat true. But recruiting for basketball is a lot easier than football. You can land two or three good basketball players and have a good year or more. In football you need two or three good years to have a good team.

Don't forget he was fired. I just can't buy in on the idea of hiring someone who was just fired. I'd be shocked if he looks at this kid, even though all indications really present this as a great fit. Granted, there may be better options available, I don't know.

I see Barnes' being very reluctant to adjust his recruiting philosophy. Hey, prove me wrong. But, in my estimation Barnes career was starting to mirror Fulmer's. Barnes is a guy who doesn't respond well to change. He has his way.
Sure, he has won a lot of games. Fulmer was a HOF national champion coach, who lost his legacy simply because he was stubborn.

His recruiting wasn't an issue at Texas

Reactions: 3 people
His recruiting wasn't an issue at Texas

If it wasn't for the one and done mess he likely has a better record than he already had. Even a two and done would have made things interesting. Imagine a Kevin Durant as a Soph. Tristan Thompson as a So. I understand Durant leaving but Tristan should have stayed one more year.

He wasn't fired...he left wouldn't make any sense if he was fired but bc of assistanst but one is still going to be on the staff at texas

VN Store

Back