Tariq's dad explains his departure.

SeniorDrill

Posting as Onative in another thread, Tariq's father explains his leaving. Thought this deserved a thread of it's own since so many had read the other. Sounds like his dad knows his basketball and just looking out for his welfare. Wishing him great success wherever he chooses to go.

"First I would like to say how much it was a pleasure being around the great University of Tennessee. Myself and my son Tariq Owens never wanted to leave Tennessee. When coaches change and the entire staff changes it makes for a very difficult situation. This decision wasn't a easy one but it was one we felt we needed to make.
For the most part it has been positive feed back. Few of you guys are passionate fans and have said some negative things and that's your opinion. Some of you guys have never played competive sports on a high level. Whether we want to accept this fact or not college sports is a business. My son has his own goals that he wants to try and achieve he has a small window to try and make that a reality.
The difference between staying and leaving came down to two important factors. Under the CDT staff we knew that they would recruit other players but what a lot you don't know is that this team would have been built around the players they have and they would have a opportunity not a guarantee. We all know you don't produce you not going to play much. With Barnes there is no relationship and nothing vested in the boys on UT now. No disrespect to Coach Barnes he has to do what he feels is best moving forward. Tariq could have benefitted by redshirting this year. But due to the personnel and previous coaching change they needed him to play early. He showed signs of his upside even given away 30-40 pounds most nights when he played against the other bigs. He average 6-7 minutes a game this year and that came in the later part of the season. If you know basketball you know he has potential he's not there yet but it will come.
The other determining factor is not having anyone from CDT staff stay. Atleast one that has a relationship with the current boys. Coach Pinkins could help with the transition the team trust him. That's not in place. The question for me was do Tariq stay at Tennessee where he may not get the opportunity to maximize his potential or do we look for another opportunity where he will have that opportunity. It's better to be where your celebrated and not tolerated. If CDT was still at UT we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Sometimes life throws you curves you have to deal with it. I wish nothing but the best for The VOLS and will follow the boys who stay progress. GOD BLESS all you and I appreciate all the ones who ever supported Tariq Owens. The ones who didn't I appreciate you too because criticizing helps you stay focus and working hard as well.
Thanks again Renard Owens"

Reactions: 51 people
Classy. Much respect to the Owens family. Hope Tariq finds a place to maximize his potential. I really think he can be a good player in 2-3 years.

Reactions: 17 people
Tariq will have to earn playing time anywhere unless he goes to a mid-major that needs immediate help. I wish him well hope he finds a great place and has a great career.

Reactions: 2 people
Thank you, Mr. Owens, for takin time out to talk with the fans. I completely understand the difficulty in transitions and truly wish Tariq the best. I really liked his upside and feel he has a game, under the right coaching, that could make him a high impact player. Best of luck in the search and I'll be following his progress. Tariq, thanks for your hard work on the Hill!

Reactions: 9 people
Tariq is a blessed and fortunate young man to have a dad like Renard. He very eloquently and respectfully explained their decision. We need more dads like this and the world could be a far better place. My best to the Owens Family.
Happy and Blessed EASTER to all of Volnation.

Reactions: 21 people
Do what you gotta do, I get it. The biggest downside to leaving IMO, other than TO not playing for the school I love, is he will be out of a strength and conditioning program for at least few months. He needs to be concentrating on his body not going back through the recruiting process. Jmo

Tariq is a blessed and fortunate young man to have a dad like Renard. He very eloquently and respectfully explained their decision. We need more dads like this and the world could be a far better place. My best to the Owens Family.

Maybe we differ in what we consider to be "eloquent". But "respectful", yes I agree.

Reactions: 4 people
I respect yours and Tariq's decision to leave Tennessee even though I was praying you guys would stay. We will miss Tariq and I will miss hi-fiving you at the games. Best of luck to Tariq. The McGhee's will continue to follow his basketball career and cheer him on. Be blessed!:thumbsup:

Reactions: 17 people
Tariq was placed in a very difficult position this season, and he responded well. He was physically overmatched nearly every night in SEC play, but he competed when given the opportunity. Good luck and God bless going forward.

I don't think it required and explanation. We all know this sort of thing happens with coaching changes. Glad he chose UT in the first place, too bad it didn't work out. Best wishes to him in the future

Reactions: 6 people
I'll always remember him filling the lane and finishing like a boss in one of our final games.

Tariq will have to earn playing time anywhere unless he goes to a mid-major that needs immediate help. I wish him well hope he finds a great place and has a great career.
He's earned everything he's gotten in life thus far and I wouldn't expect it any other way. These recruits and top players you think they come to these schools follow these coaches without promises and assurance that they will play? Tariq was ranked 83 in the top 100 in the class of 2014 he had many different situations he could have went to. Coach Barnes will not get a top recruit without building a relationship with the player and family and not telling them he will come in and play x amount of minutes and have a opportunity that's the truth. It's not just about playing time.

Isn't he going to be starting over with people and coaches he doesn"t know when he transfers? At UT he has friends, knows the campus and facilities, and just has to prove himself to the new staff. I hope it works out for him wherever he ends up.

Reactions: 9 people
Thanks to Mr. Owens for his heartfelt response to the situation. Much respect and well wishes to Tariq and his family.

Thank you it's always about my son and family. The way I feel about Tennessee and the opportunity Tariq had here is why I am sharing this decision and process. The fans and support is great here. Tariq plays basketball because he loves to not because he has to make it so we eat like a lot of situations. I will retire as a police officer in a few years.This is about Tariq being the best Tariq he can be and chase his dreams. When it's all said and done he can say I gave it my best shot. I know what it is like to wish I could have did more or tried different. I don't want him to feel that. Tennessee is a great place I truly believe that. So I hope the fans truly understand our perspective on this situation. We didn't ask for it at all...when we find a new situation that fits Tariq I will let you guys know.

Reactions: 16 people
Isn't he going to be starting over with people and coaches he doesn"t know when he transfers? At UT he has friends, knows the campus and facilities, and just has to prove himself to the new staff. I hope it works out for him wherever he ends up.

That's the part I don't understand.

I respect yours and Tariq's decision to leave Tennessee even though I was praying you guys would stay. We will miss Tariq and I will miss hi-fiving you at the games. Best of luck to Tariq. The McGhee's will continue to follow his basketball career and cheer him on. Be blessed!:thumbsup:
Tariq and JB are close you know we will stay in touch.

I don't think it required and explanation. We all know this sort of thing happens with coaching changes. Glad he chose UT in the first place, too bad it didn't work out. Best wishes to him in the future
I felt like I needed to explain because of the way I felt about Tennessee and how passionate you guys are. I didn't want some of the things being said that wasn't true. For example some thought Tariq was running from better players that may come in" Hard work beats talent every time talent fails to work hard" that's told to Tariq consistently. Not many out work him and I'm harder on him then any of you can be. I felt I owe the Tennessee fan base our explanation from me directly. That way you know the facts 100%. This is my last point I've never been bias or tried to defend Tariq on the message boards. I did defend him being skinny he takes after is mom RIP. My son didn't play in 6 games. We didn't cry he kept working. I never let it known I was his father because I respected the opinions and passion everyone had for the program.
I didn't want to be bias you learn that way. I think I said enough. GOD Bless Renard Owens

Reactions: 15 people
Best wishes to you and your family, and stay safe so that you can earn your well-deserved retirement. :hi:

I get it but what lesson is truly learned about over coming adversity down the road if he's a professional? Coaches are going to continue to get fired or leave and if you take your ball and go somewhere else every time what has he really learned? Overcoming adversity and change is the one thing that seems to be lacking with young athletes today. I wish him well in his future but this will not be the last coaching change in a young mans career. What do you do at the next school when a relationship is built and that coach bolts? Go Vols! Tariq will always be a VFL.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back