espn on Barnes vs. Smart

NCAA - Men's College Basketball Teams, Scores, Stats, News, Standings, Rumors - ESPN

I hope Rick reads this:
"Shaka Smart, first of all, works harder than Rick Barnes did, especially on the recruiting trail. :thud: He's got a hot name. Everybody knows who Shaka Smart is. ... He plays a style the kids really enjoy watching, up and down."

Ouch!

gosh I hope Rick reads all of the opinions that are posted here, too....he will never lose a game......that was a great idea!

Reactions: 5 people
Texas got a good coach and a fresh start, which is understandable. Tennessee got a proven coach that fits its needs perfectly, and a fresh start. No losers in this situation.

Reactions: 54 people
95 per cent of our fans would have hired Smart over Barnes. I would have. We weren't going to get Smart I am pleased with the Barnes hire and he will be the second best hire of this coaching cycle.

If he is working as hard at his age as he did thirty five years ago, Barnes wouldn't have learned to delegate and not hired the right people. Somehow he managed to have the best incoming recruiting class in the BIG 12.

I doubt any final four coach this year puts in the hours they did when they started. It would be fair to say Donnie T worked harder than any of them. So what? I have heard nothing to indicate Barnes is lazy .

Reactions: 3 people
The fact that the national media disparages Barnes' work ethic and recruiting abilities is relevant to VN.

Reactions: 1 person
I guess that's why Smart has gotten all these 4 and 5 star recruits into the NBA. Oh wait.

How many did Butch Jones haul in before getting to a school with Tennessee's resources?

But, we can keep pretending Barnes is a recruiting wizard for bringing talent into a school with the biggest budget and resources in the country. Gold star for you, Rick!

Reactions: 2 people
How many did Butch Jones haul in before getting to a school with Tennessee's resources?

But, we can keep pretending Barnes is a recruiting wizard for bringing talent into a school with the biggest budget and resources in the country. Gold star for you, Rick!

Easy there sunshine. The optimism is killing me.

Reactions: 6 people
It's relevant since Texas just got a massive upgrade over the coach who they fired that we just hired.

As did we. Their basketball program is unfortunely > than ours at this point. Barnes set them up to make that hire, and hopefully he does the same for us.

Reactions: 3 people

Before Barnes got there, Texas had only begun to develop the semblance of a basketball tradition under Tom Penders. Health issues for Penders had set things back when Barnes got there. To completely discount Barnes recruiting accomplishments at Texas ignores the fact that he did the same thing at Clemson, before coming to Texas. Last time I checked, Clemson is not exactly the school from the ACC with a basketball tradition.

Barnes would not have been my first choice, but he has an impressive resume' that is largely his of his own creation. If you want to credit his assistants, too, that's fine. Give him credit for selecting them.

Reactions: 9 people
Easy there sunshine. The optimism is killing me.

Hey-I know. I don't want to be negative. I just do not get this hire. It was the easiest/laziest hire Hart could have made. He appears to be incompetent given we are a "yes" away from having Mike Gundy coaching the football team.

This just my opinion: Seems to me that Barnes may have been tricked out of his position at Texas. That deal with Texas and Shaka has some devious undertones and may have been in the works before Barnes was fired. However, we've upgraded our coaching staff as well. I'm pleased. GBO!

Reactions: 5 people
Texas got a good coach and a fresh start, which is understandable. Tennessee got a proven coach that fits its needs perfectly, and a fresh start. No losers in this situation.

Ask Jeff Capel and Anthony Grant how their last coaching stints ended after leaving VCU.

This won't end well for Smart. Top 50 prospects are not playing this street ball havoc style. Back to Back one game exits in the NCAA tourney. Gimmick got lucky one year in the blown up bracket during the tourney.
I will take Barnes every time.

Reactions: 6 people
As did we. Their basketball program is unfortunely > than ours at this point. Barnes set them up to make that hire, and hopefully he does the same for us.

We may have gotten an upgrade in the "not paying players/lying to the NCAA" sense, but not from an actual coaching standpoint. He is past his prime.

I hope I am wrong, I really do; however, the AD failed the university and it's fans with this "search". Holtman reached out, so did Pitino, Jr. Why not have some discussions with those guys, Hurley, Underwood, Wade.
This program would have been better served hiring a coach who has shown an ability to coach up inferior talent, while also not having the resources of a school like TN. AKA, the Butch Jones model. Get a guy in here who is full of energy, has succeeded, and give them the keys to the city. Don't hire the basketball version of 2009 Fulmer, and that's an insult to Fulmer since he won a National Title.

Barnes would have always been there as an option. He should have been plan D, not plan A. Again-he failed at Texas. They have more resources than anyone.

This just my opinion: Seems to me that Barnes may have been tricked out of his position at Texas. That deal with Texas and Shaka has some devious undertones and may have been in the works before Barnes was fired. However, we've upgraded our coaching staff as well. I'm pleased. GBO!

This is what happens when you are dealing with a scum bag like their AD in Patterson. Great for the Tennessee nation. I will take Barnes every time.

Reactions: 4 people
Ask Jeff Capel and Anthony Grant how their last coaching stints ended after leaving VCU.

This won't end well for Smart. Top 50 prospects are not playing this street ball havoc style. Back to Back one game exits in the NCAA tourney. Gimmick got lucky one year in the blown up bracket during the tourney.
I will take Barnes every time.

What kind of style do you think UNC plays? People around here watch college basketball, right?

What kind of style do you think UNC plays? People around here watch college basketball, right?

Obviously you don't watch hoops or can not differentiate
the two.

NC does not play that havoc streetball bull-------
with zero shooters on the roster. Stay tuned.

It's been a week now and Barnes has gone from hero to zero in some people's mind. That is pretty normal. I remember when BP didn't retain one of the assistants and people thought it was the end of world. My guess that in a couple of years both Texas and Tennessee will be happy with their coaches.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back