Has Rick Barnes addressed the players or recruiting needs?

iKrager

I've been trying to find information, but not having a ton of luck. Has Barnes talked to our current players and has he addressed any recruiting plans/needs?

I've been trying to find information, but not having a ton of luck. Has Barnes talked to our current players and has he addressed any recruiting plans/needs?

There's a video of him talking to the players yesterday. It's in another thread.

Can he release players who signed their NLI or does he have to keep the two signees? I would imagine he wants Phillips. Schoefield I wouldn't be surprised if he was asked to look elsewhere.

Can he release players who signed their NLI or does he have to keep the two signees? I would imagine he wants Phillips. Schoefield I wouldn't be surprised if he was asked to look elsewhere.

You really think with our lack of depth he will be turning somebody away? You may be right, but I would be surprised. I guess he has time to get a few more guys, because I remember being surprised when Tyndall was able to pick a few up over the summer last year.

I don't know if he has had meetings with each player yet. I would think that it will happen before the week ends.

I guess he will need to watch film on the guys and evaluate.

Reactions: 1 person
You really think with our lack of depth he will be turning somebody away? You may be right, but I would be surprised. I guess he has time to get a few more guys, because I remember being surprised when Tyndall was able to pick a few up over the summer last year.

A lot of grad transfers will be available. There are several uncommitted or unsigned top 150 guys Barnes could get on that wouldn't have given Tyndall a look. I don't think Barnes would have a problem getting 5 or 6 guys better than Schoefield.

A lot of grad transfers will be available. There are several uncommitted or unsigned top 150 guys Barnes could get on that wouldn't have given Tyndall a look. I don't think Barnes would have a problem getting 5 or 6 guys better than Schoefield.

Schoefield's AAU coach is a former Barnes player. If Schoefield wants to come to UT, then I do not think he will be asked to look elsewhere.

Reactions: 3 people
Disclaimer: I used ESPN because it differentiates between a committ and a signee. Also listed two biggest needs first but will include other positions.

Center
ESPN Basketball Recruiting - Player Rankings - ESPN

Point Guard

Shooting Guard
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/b...ition/shooting-guard/class/2015/view/position

Small Forward
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/b...sition/small-forward/class/2015/view/position

Power Forward
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/b...kings/_/region/midwest/class/2015/view/region

Notable names: Thomas Bryant C, and Eric Davis PG/SG(LOI signed but if Texas releases him then maybe)

Last edited:

I heard him say yesterday that he would definitely honor scholarship offers. Sounded very strong on that. Seems to be a very honorable man.

Reactions: 3 people
Schoefield's AAU coach is a former Barnes player. If Schoefield wants to come to UT, then I do not think he will be asked to look elsewhere.

How good is is AAU program? If its a great program he won't be. If its all Admiral type players I don't think he takes him unless he thinks he will be good. I guess we won't know until Barnes evaluates them.

Disclaimer: I used ESPN because it differentiates between a committ and a signee. Also listed two biggest needs first but will include other positions.

Center

Point Guard

Shooting Guard

Small Forward

Power Forward

Notable names: Thomas Bryant C, and Eric Davis PG/SG(LOI signed but if Texas releases him then maybe)

How in the world does Vandy manage to get these bits and Tennessee can't sniff their sneakers. Hope that changes now.

Center

Point Guard

Shooting Guard

Small Forward

Power Forward

Why Thomas Bryant. Any chance with him????

How in the world does Vandy manage to get these bits and Tennessee can't sniff their sneakers. Hope that changes now.

It will change because Vandy has had two big classes the last two and will push away other players. May hurt them in the Blackwell recruitment. Also those fresman won't be darting for NBA so they have a roster of 75% freshman and Sophmores.

Last edited:
Why Thomas Bryant. Any chance with him????

Just have heard Barnes recruited him while at Texas but never got much ground. I think you call him and tell him he would get immediate PT and he would consider. Much better chance to get davis than Bryant but just keep an eye out.

Who was the last GOOD center that we had?

Stokes would be the most recent. But he was a 4 playing the 5. Not based on talent but body of a 5. Steve Hamer. Charles Hathaway. Maybe Brian Williams. But I don't remember the last real center. Have we ever had a true center with actual talent.

VN Store

Back