Style of play ?

Nocleats

Assuming Coach Barnes assembles the type of players he needs, what is his offensive and defensive style of play.. Can it be compared to other schools? Im not a student of the game so just kind of wondering what a Barnes team is known for..

Assuming Coach Barnes assembles the type of players he needs, what is his offensive and defensive style of play.. Can it be compared to other schools? Im not a student of the game so just kind of wondering what a Barnes team is known for..

Defense, rebounding, athleticism, in any order. They don't play extremely fast, but he recruits size very well. We'll be a big, long, athletic team that makes frustrating decisions with the ball, but will be fun to watch regardless.

Reactions: 2 people

There's another thread probably still on page 1 that's chock full of this info.

Reactions: 1 person
Rick Barnes teams are known for losing to Tennessee, but that's sort of a moot point now.

Rick Barnes teams are known for losing to Tennessee, but that's sort of a moot point now.
Do you complain about every basketball coach we have? You know you don't always have to pessimistic about everything in life.

Word from Tx fans is he's not much of an x's and o's guy, and can't draw up any type of offensive set to save his life. Supposedly he's more of a defensive coach. He has never been dead set on running on type of particular defense though, he will mix it up. TX fans say he prefers playing zone above all else.

Reactions: 1 person
Just some PPG stuff...17 years at Texas, they averaged 74.4 points per game...not as good his last four years, somewhere over 69 pts./game...defensively, this past season's team held opponents to 60.3 points, better than any defense at Tennessee going back to at least O'Neil. Over 17 years they held teams to an average of 66.5 points per game.

fwiw...

Do you complain about every basketball coach we have? You know you don't always have to pessimistic about everything in life.

Where do you see pessimism in that post?
I was merely pointing out the incongruity of Vol fans' previous opinion on the Texas coach now that he's our coach.

I'm not sure how you define "losing to Tennessee". I believe his record vs. Tennessee, while at Texas, was 2-2.

He was 1-2 vs. Bruce Pearl and I believe he beat a Buzz Peterson coached team in the Maui invitational.

I'm not sure how you define "losing to Tennessee". I believe his record vs. Tennessee, while at Texas, was 2-2.

He was 1-2 vs. Bruce Pearl and I believe he beat a Buzz Peterson coached team in the Maui invitational.

Vol fans don't remember the games we lost to Texas. We remember the victories over TX and the special moments like the unforgettable (3-point) shot heard 'round the world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOH4spIjBe8

VN Store

Back