Odgen to Follow Barnes

I think his whole staff with come with him. Just like Butch, he is very loyal to his staff.

In fact, they said on CBS that the reason he was "Let go" was because the AD asked him to fire some of his staff, and he wouldn't do it. The staff offered to resign, but Rick wouldn't let them.

Wouldn't be surprised if all of his staff came with him.

Reactions: 6 people
I think his whole staff with come with him. Just like Butch, he is very loyal to his staff.

In fact, they said on CBS that the reason he was "Let go" was because the AD asked him to fire some of his staff, and he wouldn't do it. The staff offered to resign, but Rick wouldn't let them.

Wouldn't be surprised if all of his staff came with him.

Would love to see him try to keep Pinkins if at all possible. May be a good option down the road after Barnes hangs 'er up.

Reactions: 1 person
Would love to see him try to keep Pinkins if at all possible. May be a good option down the road after Barnes hangs 'er up.

Players really like Pinkins. Not sure if he will be kept or not. I would imagine that not ALL of Rick's staff will follow him, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they did. If not, I would imagine that Pinkins would be the one to be kept.

Reactions: 3 people
Players really like Pinkins. Not sure if he will be kept or not. I would imagine that not ALL of Rick's staff will follow him, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they did. If not, I would imagine that Pinkins would be the one to be kept.

True. But if Barnes is likely to pull a few high rated recruits with him like some are saying and we have to clear spots for those guys, not retaining Pinkins might make that transfer process easier for the players.

True. But if Barnes is likely to pull a few high rated recruits with him like some are saying and we have to clear spots for those guys, not retaining Pinkins might make that transfer process easier for the players.

Oh, I agree. I'm saying IF spots are left, then Pinkins stays. But I think Barnes first loyalties are to his staff at Texas. He's got some serious recruiters there too.

Who was their best recruiter at Texas? Hope that guy comes to.

And

Let's try to keep Al Pinkins and Moye (sp?).. The players love those guys (AuntieDee).

Who was their best recruiter at Texas? Hope that guy comes to.

And

Let's try to keep Al Pinkins and Moye (sp?).. The players love those guys (AuntieDee).
Lanier recruited Myles Turner, Bradley Beal at UF and many others. He is coming. We are good with recruiting because his entire staff will be here (unless something changes)

Lanier recruited Myles Turner, Bradley Beal at UF and many others. He is coming. We are good with recruiting because his entire staff will be here (unless something changes)
Thanks John.

Here's more on Rob Lanier, former Siena head coach/Florida assistant/Texas assistant

Lanier won the MAAC Tournament Championship in 2002.

Rob Lanier (born July 24, 1968) is The Associate Head Men's basketball coach at the University of Texas.[1] In 2002, as the coach of Siena College,[2] he led the Saints to the NCAA Tournament. Siena defeated Alcorn State in the Opening Round and lost to the eventual National Champion, Maryland Terrapins. In 2003, he led Siena to the Third Round of the National Invitational Tournament with wins over Western Michigan and Villanova.

@Ben_Fred: Barnes on why he wouldn't change assistants at Texas: "That could never happen." Said those people carried him on their shoulders.

I believe Barnes will ask his entire staff to follow him to UT, but not sure they all actually will. He has some pretty heavy hitters on his previous staff as far as recruiters go. I'd like for us to be able to keep Pinkins though. Hopefully there is mutual interest between the two and a spot open for him.

Don't know what kind of strength and conditioning coach Barnes had because most of his players came in buffed and cut. We see the transformation our players made over the summer. I say he keeps Moye as well as Pinkins.

Reactions: 3 people
I believe Barnes will ask his entire staff to follow him to UT, but not sure they all actually will. He has some pretty heavy hitters on his previous staff as far as recruiters go. I'd like for us to be able to keep Pinkins though. Hopefully there is mutual interest between the two and a spot open for him.

No worries on his staff they will all be here. As for Pinkins he is in wait and see limbo

His staff weren't the problem, it was a ploy by the AD to get hm to resign.
This.

The AD wanted to make a change, and he knew Barnes would make Texas fire him before he'd fire his assistants. I think that says as much about the Texas AD as it does Barnes. You want to fire a man, fire him. Don't play games like that.

Reactions: 2 people
Not making in out of the first weekend in 7 years probably means you should make change.

Im not a fan of the AD telling his coach to shake up the staff or else. If hes not getting it done thats on him. If it has gotten to that point its on the AD to make the change. Thats his job, not micro managing the staff.

I dont think he was fired as part of a ploy to get him to change out some staff. It really doesnt make sense. Was it justified? Who knows. Did Texas screw up and Tennessee reap the benefit of a mistake? We ll see.

Im not a fan of the AD telling his coach to shake up the staff or else. If hes not getting it done thats on him. If it has gotten to that point its on the AD to make the change. Thats his job, not micro managing the staff.

I dont think he was fired as part of a ploy to get him to change out some staff. It really doesnt make sense. Was it justified? Who knows. Did Texas screw up and Tennessee reap the benefit of a mistake? We ll see.

Beecher, you seein yellow spots?

VN Store

Back