Welcome aboard Coach Barnes!

Great news! I love the hire. Barnes will stabilize the Vol BB program at a much higher level than it has been for some time now, maybe ever.

Reactions: 5 people
This hire kind of reminds me of a Dave Odum type hire. He is a safe hire. Never really going to take us anywhere but will probably satisfy the fan base long enough for Dave and Jimmy to retire.

High IQ, low risk hire. I think he was easily the best option for us at this point. Sure, an up-and-comer may have worked out well, but Barnes isn't nearly as much of a gamble. If he can maintain his average at Tennessee for 5+ years, he will have done us a great service.

Reactions: 3 people
Whooooop whoooop......not!

:ermm:

@cdortch: Give Tennessee props for sure bet hire and quick action in landing Rick Barnes. He'll get the job done.

@cdortch: In case any Vol fans are wondering, Texas signed two four-star, top 50 shooting guards in November: Kerwin Roach and Eric Davis.

@cdortch: One of Rick Barnes' assistants, @rspringmann24, is one of the best in the business. If he comes to K-town, it'll be a plus.

@cdortch: Rick Barnes avg 23.6 wins in 17 seasons at Texas, won almost 70% of his games and went to NCAAs 16 of 17 years. Sounds like a sure bet to me

@cdortch: Dallas MN story once listed two of Rick Barnes' strengths: "ability to endear himself to good people and a patient, persistent work ethic."

@cdortch: Barnes hire ends another old complaint about Tenn. Vols will pay Barnes more than they've paid any coach in the past. You do the math.

@cdortch: Other thing I like about Rick Barnes? His assistants offered to quit to save his job. Clearly the man inspires as much loyalty as he gives.

Reactions: 13 people
He wasn't my choice, but I'm on board with it. Welcome to UT, Coach Barnes, and show that "other" UT that they made a mistake by letting you go.

Reactions: 1 person
Good hire that may even turn out to be a great hire.Let's all give him a year or two before we judge.Go Vols and HTTR! !

Reactions: 2 people
Here is probably what will happen. The first couple of years no tournament. Year three we make it and eliminated round of 64. Next year round of 32. The next no tournament. The next round of 32. It will go on like that until Hart retires. That will satisfy most Vol fans. He isn't a bad coach just not long term. Eight to ten years at most.

Good hire that may even turn out to be a great hire.Let's all give him a year or two before we judge.Go Vols and HTTR! !

Now you know these folks. They are not going to give him that much time. One loss and his head will be on the chopping block. :birgits_giggle: But I agree, give the man AMPLE time to restructure our BB program.

Now you know these folks. They are not going to give him that much time. One loss and his head will be on the chopping block. :birgits_giggle: But I agree, give the man AMPLE time to restructure our BB program.

I think he will put the program on sound footing and hopefully we can get an up and comer after that. Not enamored with the hire but can live with it.

11075243_796760563712580_3872666347819078282_o.jpg

Reactions: 6 people
I think he will put the program on sound footing and hopefully we can get an up and comer after that. Not enamored with the hire but can live with it.

I am hoping for the best. I want my boy to go to the dance before he graduates...at least but rather win one, or two, or :birgits_giggle:

Here is probably what will happen. The first couple of years no tournament. Year three we make it and eliminated round of 64. Next year round of 32. The next no tournament. The next round of 32. It will go on like that until Hart retires. That will satisfy most Vol fans. He isn't a bad coach just not long term. Eight to ten years at most.

Not long term; eight to ten years at the most??? Blue Font color blind? :pilot:

8 - 10 years is definitely long term. Do you know what the average coaching tenure is at a D1 school?

Damn, Sandvol, that's quite the crystal ball you have there, my friend. How about doing me a lottery number and I'll split it with you.... Seriously, I think CRB and his staff will get us turned around way before your timetable. We'll see.

VN Store

Back