What happened to the Coach Search Firm?

goldvol

VolNation's Lesser Poobah
If these reports about Barnes are correct, and he has already been offered, was Hart lying about using a search firm? I guess he could have been telling the truth, and then the opportunity with Barnes just fell into our laps.

I highly doubt any coaching search firm would make a recommendation for a candidate with only a couple days of work. For one, I am sure they want to do some work and get paid for the contract.

First, the firm would have been hired Friday. Tennessee has used a firm before, so that could have been a matter of a phone call with the contract being written up later.
Then, I imagine that some criteria had to have been discussed between the parties. The firm would then begin a search, narrow the list of recommended coaches, vet the coaches, and offer their recommendation. If there really was a firm used, I can't imagine the liability of performing a national search and making a recommendation to fulfill the contract all within less than 72 hours.

I haven't been on Volnation most of the day, so maybe this has been answered. Thoughts?

Maybe he planned on using a search firm, then Barnes became available and Hart thought he was a can't miss hire. I don't think he actually ever got around to using one though. There hasn't been enough time passed for them to of done a proper job and everything that goes with a coaching search. Basically I think Hart just took the ignitive and done the hire all by himself.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
They could have been hired to simply work out a deal with TN's chosen candidate. The engagement isn't necessarily to find a coach.

Reactions: 1 person
They could have been hired to simply work out a deal with TN's chosen candidate. The engagement isn't necessarily to find a coach.

I can buy this, except that Hart actually mentioned that responsibility during the Press Conference. He said that a coaching search firm would come up with a similar list that they could come up with on their own, or something similar to that affect. That implies that he would use a firm to find a list of qualified candidates with qualities UT desires.

I can buy this, except that Hart actually mentioned that responsibility during the Press Conference. He said that a coaching search firm would come up with a similar list that they could come up with on their own, or something similar to that affect. That implies that he would use a firm to find a list of qualified candidates with qualities UT desires.

Or to do the research on them. Doubt that they will be paid $250,000. Probably $50,000 +/- for a couple of days work.

Actually, when were they hired? Maybe they've been working on it for several weeks but it wouldn't be very tasteful to disclose that at the presser for a coach's firing.

Last edited:
All of this was said before Barnes became available. It appears once Hart learned of Barnes availability, that everything else just went out the window.

Reactions: 2 people
All of this was said before Barnes became available. It appears once Hart learned of Barnes availability, that everything else just went out the window.

Hart **** his pants when Barnes became available. He'd never be able to hire a coach of his qualifications without luck.

Yea, so do you think they got the qualifications, did the research, and presented Barnes as their recommendation all within 72 hours? If so, I bet they made bank on that contract.

I'd say that Hart told them he wants to hire Barnes. Now go vet and negotiate.

My vote would have been "no,no,no" but if he is our coach then I will encourage him to the fullest. I guess the only way that I could characterize this is to say "we settled." GO VOLS

If these reports about Barnes are correct, and he has already been offered, was Hart lying about using a search firm? I guess he could have been telling the truth, and then the opportunity with Barnes just fell into our laps.

I highly doubt any coaching search firm would make a recommendation for a candidate with only a couple days of work. For one, I am sure they want to do some work and get paid for the contract.

First, the firm would have been hired Friday. Tennessee has used a firm before, so that could have been a matter of a phone call with the contract being written up later.
Then, I imagine that some criteria had to have been discussed between the parties. The firm would then begin a search, narrow the list of recommended coaches, vet the coaches, and offer their recommendation. If there really was a firm used, I can't imagine the liability of performing a national search and making a recommendation to fulfill the contract all within less than 72 hours.

I haven't been on Volnation most of the day, so maybe this has been answered. Thoughts?

They work fast, went to Austin and inked the deal!

:loco:

Tennesseeduke

Hart **** his pants when Barnes became available. He'd never be able to hire a coach of his qualifications without luck.

I bet that Hart knew that Barnes was going to become available. He was fired Saturday, but given the option to change up his staff or be fired at an earlier date.

I'm betting the search firm was contacted before Tyndall was fired if the NCAA gave Hart the heads up it isn't looking good!

I don't think Hart was counting on Barnes being fired. Is what I'm going with.

If Bama Dave has been earning his pay, he would have been working on contingency plans since all of this started with Tyndall back in November. Then when Barnes was threatened to be fired Hart could have bailed out on Tyndall in favor of landing Barnes.

If Bama Dave has been earning his pay, he would have been working on contingency plans since all of this started with Tyndall back in November. Then when Barnes was threatened to be fired Hart could have bailed out on Tyndall in favor of landing Barnes.

Wow, that is quite the conspiracy theory! You think that Hart knew Barnes would hold out and be fired, so Hart preemptively fires Tyndall the day before so that he would have a chance at hiring Barnes?

Wow, that is quite the conspiracy theory! You think that Hart knew Barnes would hold out and be fired, so Hart preemptively fires Tyndall the day before so that he would have a chance at hiring Barnes?

It's very much a possibility that Hart knew he could hire Barnes when Tyndall was let go. Barnes was told by Texas that he must fire some of his assistants or be fired himself BEFORE Tyndall was let go. The timeline works out.

I wouldn't call it a conspiracy theory as much as to say that that is how business is done.

Last edited:
It's very much a possibility that Hart knew he could hire Barnes when Tyndall was let go. Barnes was told by Texas that he must fire some of his assistants or be fired himself BEFORE Tyndall was let go. The timeline works out.

I wouldn't call it a conspiracy theory as much as to say that that is how business is done.

...and Hart has been working on this plan since November, you say? Nice

VN Store

Back