Rick Barnes - From a Recruiting Standpoint

B-sideVol18

Wanted to make a thread focused solely on the immediate recruiting side of this hire. Do any of his signees consider asking out of their LOI? Who are some of his top targets who he may now recruit here?

Reactions: 2 people
He had fertile recruiting grounds to work with at Texas. It will be interesting to see how he is able to maintain those relationships and such moving forward.

I don't expect him to be the recruiter at Tennessee that he was a Texas, drawing numerous 5 star players and national player of the year winners, but I expect it to be as good or on par with anything Tennessee has ever had from a recruiting standpoint.

Reactions: 3 people
Rick Barnes had the No. 1 recruiting class in the Big 12 for 2015. Good chance some might follow to Tennessee with chance for immediate PT.

Reactions: 2 people
He had fertile recruiting grounds to work with at Texas. It will be interesting to see how he is able to maintain those relationships and such moving forward.

I don't expect him to be the recruiter at Tennessee that he was a Texas, drawing numerous 5 star players and national player of the year winners, but I expect it to be as good or on par with anything Tennessee has ever had from a recruiting standpoint.

4 stars should be attracted but I agree. Not as many big name guys but still very good players. One of his best players at Texas this year (Isaiah Taylor) was a low 3 star.

If he can pluck some out of ATL and Memphis, he will be fine.

KD was his recruit too! I think he'll do great recruiting here

and omghulkhands, look where he recruits, not just tx

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
If he can pluck some out of ATL and Memphis, he will be fine.

Yeah, recruiting Memphis may be the most exciting part about Barnes.

We have always had one of the best talent hot spots in the entire country with Memphis, and by in large have failed to recruit it outside Stokes and a few others.

Barnes is the first coach Tennessee has had that may be able to make Memphis his own personal recruiting treasure chest.

Reactions: 5 people

We have always had one of the best talent hot spots in the entire country with Memphis, and by in large have failed to recruit it outside Stokes and a few others.

Barnes is the first coach Tennessee has had that may be able to make Memphis his own personal recruiting treasure chest.

Sales pitch: I put guys in the league consistently, and I'll give you a shot at those jerk offs from Kentucky every season. Enough said.

Reactions: 3 people

A coach that can recruit the area (hopefully) plus we'll be a Nike school in July. Major upgrades here.

Don't want to be a Donnie-Downer, just asking a question:

How much recruiting has he had to do beyond the Texas borders?

For 17 years he's been in a talent-rich state, at the state university. I'm sure he knows how to develop great relationships with high school coaches, but I'm not sure that's gonna pay off here... outside the gated community center of Memphis.

Reactions: 1 person
Don't want to be a Donnie-Downer, just asking a question:

How much recruiting has he had to do beyond the Texas borders?

For 17 years he's been in a talent-rich state, at the state university. I'm sure he knows how to develop great relationships with high school coaches, but I'm not sure that's gonna pay off here... outside the gated community center of Memphis.

40% of his recruits since 2002 (Rivals inception) are from outside of TX

Reactions: 6 people
He only has two players committed in this years Texas class. Both are 4 star SGs. Roach is a Texas boy who isn't going to come here. The other is named Davis, and is from Michigan. He is the 45th ranked player in the nation. Barnes needs to poach him from Texas. Coach Barnes also needs to get on the phone with Blackwell and Ado pronto. He needs to start working hard on building pipelines into Memphis. I would love for Memphis could be his honey hole. He could just sign Memphis kids alone every class and have us extremely competitive and dancing yearly.

He only has two players committed in this years Texas class. Both are 4 star SGs. Roach is a Texas boy who isn't going to come here. The other is named Davis, and is from Michigan. He is the 45th ranked player in the nation. Barnes needs to poach him from Texas. Coach Barnes also needs to get on the phone with Blackwell and Ado pronto. He needs to start working hard on building pipelines into Memphis. I would love for Memphis could be his honey hole. He could just sign Memphis kids alone every class and have us extremely competitive and dancing yearly.

He's got 3 according to rivals; two 4* and an unranked SG

VN Store

Back