Aim for the Fences...Hire Chris Mack

Ericvol2096

Quiz'N'Vol
By far the best available semi realistic candidate. Young, extensive tournament success and makes under a Mill. Pay the man 2.5-3M and watch the final fours come!

Let's Go Vols!!

Reactions: 2 people
Mack would be a good hire. Can't go wrong with a Xavier guy.

Mack is an Xavier grad who Xavier gave his first coaching job in basketball, his first assistant coaching job, and his first head coaching job. He has them rolling right now, and he has a great roster returning next year. I just don't see the motivation, but he would be an excellent hire.

Reactions: 1 person
We. Have. Been. Over. This. Of course he would be awesome hire. Been down that road. He won't leave Xavier for UT. He won't. Not like UT wouldn't hire him.

I'm on the Barnes bandwagon at this point. He's the best realistc candidate IMO

Thank goodness this will not happen. Tennessee will not pay that much for a basketball coach. We will get a mid major coach who UT think is up and coming. Your wasting your time if you think they will make a big splash for a basketball coach. Like the guy at Murray State.

Yep. We have discussed this before. Mack has turned down other offers. He is a Xavier grad. I will just leave this article where he was quoted last year that money was not his sole motivating factor.

Chris Mack staying at Xavier

I would love Mack, but I do not think he is leaving Xavier. It is home.

Don't get the Barnes deal. That was Bruce's first major upset. Bruce's vols ran all over Texas in that game with far less talent.I know Bruce ain't coming but we've got to get someone that can out coach him.

I agree, Eric, and have been saying it since the termination of CDT as well as even before he was hired last year. Chris Mack could build quite a program for us given him accepting an opportunity to do so.

Don't get the Barnes deal. That was Bruce's first major upset. Bruce's vols ran all over Texas in that game with far less talent.I know Bruce ain't coming but we've got to get someone that can out coach him.

Facepalm. By that logic you don't want Mack then, as he lost to Pearl THIS year.

Plus their last meeting Barnes won by 19.

Reactions: 4 people

Didn't Butch Jones get the smack down put on him by a Dooley coached team? I know Dooley wasn't a better coach than Butch. I would love to see my Vols win 20 plus games every year and get in the tournament about every year. Rick Barnes would be a solid hire and at this point he would take less money than he was paid at Texas.

Thank goodness this will not happen. Tennessee will not pay that much for a basketball coach. We will get a mid major coach who UT think is up and coming. Your wasting your time if you think they will make a big splash for a basketball coach. Like the guy at Murray State.

Google Rick Barnes NCAA investigation and let me know if anything comes up.

That trumps slalary.

That was ten years ago...

Considering Mack is an Xavier grad, and this was his first head coaching job ever, it would be hard to get him to part ways with that program. With that said, money talks. He is only making $860K. Offer the man around 1.5 million at first and see what happens, then work your way up to maybe around 2 million. All he can say is no. Hopefully Hart and UT is serious about getting a legit coach.

I would consider Mack to be a semi-realistic candidate. He win's at a high level, and has had his team dancing every year except once. That lone year came during the 12-13 season, they finished at 17-14. He's never had a losing season, his overall record is 134-71 (.654). We shouldn't have any questions/doubts about his recruiting abilities either. Since he became HC in 09, he's had 3 Top 25 classes, with another coming in a 32nd. His worst class to date was his first one, it ranked 146th, but only consisted of one player, a 4 star PF. The man signs 4 stars frequently. Out of all the player he's had commit since 09, 13 out of 20 has been 4 star players, the rest were 3 stars. Imagine what he could get done with our recruiting budget.

Last edited:
Considering Mack is an Xavier grad, and this was his first head coaching job ever, it would be hard to get him to part ways with that program. With that said, money talks. He is only making $860K. Offer the man around 1.5 million at first and see what happens, then work your way up to maybe around 2 million. All he can say is no. Hopefully Hart and UT is serious about getting a legit coach.

I would consider Mack to be a semi-realistic candidate. He win's at a high level, and has had his team dancing every year except once. That lone year came during the 12-13 season, they finished at 17-14. He's never had a losing season, his overall record is 134-71 (.654). We shouldn't have any questions/doubts about his recruiting abilities either. Since he became HC in 09, he's had 3 Top 25 classes, with another coming in a 32nd. His worst class to date was his first one, it ranked 146th, but only consisted of one player, a 4 star PF. The man signs 4 stars frequently. Out of all the player he's had commit since 09, 13 out of 20 has been 4 star players, the rest were 3 stars. Imagine what he could get done with our recruiting budget.
Agreed. If you can get him away from Xavier then Kudos an lets ride. Still easier said than done with the athletic department circus we have

VN Store

Back