Coaching Search: INFORMATION ONLY!

Captain Awesome

For those of us who don't have time to sift through dozens of pages of conversation in search of real information, I've started this thread for information only. No discussion please. Thanks and GBO!

Reactions: 5 people
Gary Parrish: "Lots asking about Gregg Marshall-Tennessee. Simply put, that’s ridiculous. UT should be thinking more along the lines of Brad Underwood."

Reactions: 2 people
Don't you love it when these talking heads try and tell TN fans what their expectations should be? He's probably right that we'll never fork over the cash for a "Greg Marshall" but he needs to sthu.

Better than some of the overtly positive local media. National media kicked them around yet again on Tyndall firing story.

As for news, Dan Wolken and a few others were pushing Mike White pretty hard yesterday. We'll see if they interview him again. (Hopefully.)

Last edited:
Jason King

@JasonKingBR: Won't be shocked if Tennessee contacts Rick Barnes. Not saying he's a leading candidate, but I wouldn't laugh it off.

Rob Lewis (TOS):

"With Barnes now officially fired at Texas he is very obviously added to the hot board. We believe he will definitely be interested in the Tennessee opening and will be someone that they look to speak with.

Also, as posted in a reply in an earlier thread, I think there is some legitimacy to Richard Pitino's interest. Have heard from a couple of different places that someone has contacted Tennessee on his behalf to express interest. Also as we noted, he's got a real close tie with C.M. Newton who hired Rick Pitino at Kentucky and was also Dave Hart's basketball coach at Alabama.

We've also heard that Steve Wojciechowski may be have some interest as well. Obviously after just one year at Marquette it might be tough to see him leaving, especially with a top-10 recruiting class coming in. But the rumor is out there and remember, Marquette had a horrible time finding a coach last spring because of the perception that the admin and support were in shambles.

And, just to state the obvious, with Texas now open it means that a lot of schools are going to be fishing in the same waters for a head coach. While Texas probably has deeper pockets than anyone else, except for perhaps Bama if the crazy Marshall money is real, Tennessee will be talking to a lot of the same candidates. That does nothing but make the search more difficult I would guess."

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
@MattM_KVUE: Both ESPN and the Statesman are reporting that UT will part ways with MBB coach Rick Barnes. Sources tell KVUE he could end up at Tennessee.

Reactions: 1 person
Rob Lewis on Hurley:

"I definitely think Hurley is someone that they would want to talk to, and personally JMO, I think he's outstanding with a bright future.

I know he has a slim track record but I like him a lot as a pure basketball coach. As far as ability to market the program, I just haven't seen enough of him in that kind of role to have a strong opinion.

From the Tennessee perspective I wouldn't like the fact that he's very much a Northeast guy, but I would guess his name recognition and NBA/collegiate track record would go a long way towards compensating for his regional ties.

He has reportedly agreed 'in principle' to a $550,000 deal at Buffalo but I haven't been able to find evidence that he's signed it.

I would guess that he would be 'affordable,' less than $2 million, but that is totally an opinion."

Ben Frederickson's Sunday update: Tennessee hoops coaching search update 2.0 - Ben's Fast Break

If you don't want to click the link:

-Marshall and Texas want each other
-Barnes is old
-Bobby Hurley/Bryce Drew both want DePaul
-Mike White not moving but also maybe?
-Richard Pitino linked to Alabama; buyout three times what Tyndall's was last year
-UT likely won't announce name of search firm

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
SIAP: Bobby Hurley looks like a DePaul Coach. He is supposedly top of their list and interviewed with them yesterday.

SI's Pete Thamel tweeted 4 mins ago.

@SIPeteThamel: Was told today not to be surprised if Rick Barnes ends up as a serious candidate at Tennessee.

@jeffborzello: Tennessee... RT @ChipBrownHD: Rick Barnes: "Will I coach again? Yeah. Probably quicker than you think."

@SethDavisHoops: Rick Barnes says he wants to coach again soon. I'm hearing there could be interest from Tennessee. Just sayin.

@GaryParrishCBS: Rick Barnes said each of his assistants offered to resign so he could remain at Texas. But Barnes didn’t want things to go down like that.

Much respect to CRB!

Reactions: 3 people
Brian Davis ✔ @BDavisAAS
Barnes already going to Tennessee? "Will I coach again? Yeah, quicker than you probably think. But I will."
Retweeted by Ben Frederickson

VN Store

Back