Keys To A Succussful Basketball Program

1985Vols

1. State of the art facilities (check)
2. Supportive fan base ( check)
3. Winning tradition ( check)
3. Administration willing to pay and support a coach at the
highest level ( to be determined )

Obviously we have the facilities, fan base and tradition to have a successful basketball program and win at a high level. Question is, do we have an Adminstration that is willing to make it happen? We will find out in the next several weeks.

Reactions: 2 people
Tradition? Hmmmm.....

If memory serves UT is tied for second in the SEC in the number of conference championships and is 4th of 14 when ranked by winning % in conference play. Tennessee is around 5th in the SEC in all time wins and top 40 (of 350+ teams) in all time wins.

See also:

http://www.secsportsfan.com/sec-basketball-history.html

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_teams_with_the_most_victories_in_NCAA_Division_I_men%27s_college_basketball

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Remember tradition for most on here is there short 18 years of life. Or from the time that pappy sold the chaw backer patch and got them their a saterlight.

Reactions: 1 person
If memory serves UT is tied for second in the SEC in the number of conference championships and is 4th of 14 when ranked by winning % in conference play. Tennessee is around 5th in the SEC in all time wins and top 40 (of 350+ teams) in all time wins.

See also:

SEC Basketball History

List of teams with the most victories in NCAA Division I men's college basketball - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for backing up my statements with facts. It is amazing to me how the younger generation doesn't realize how successful our program has been historically. Albeit, not so much in the NCAA tourney which maybe is the reason most don't realize the success we have had otherwise.

Reactions: 2 people

See also:

SEC Basketball History

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wikiTion_I_men's_college_basketball

UT Lady Vols during the Summitt years is tradition. All that noise above you spouting means nothing. I have watched the Vols since Bernard King and Ernie Grunfeld. Over the decades they have had some good teams and when Pearl came along they had a nice run early in his career. But traditionally I would never place UT as a traditional basketball school. Duke, UK, UCLA,Mich State, Louisville, Georgetown, those are schools with Bball tradition.

UT Lady Vols during the Summitt years is tradition. All that noise above you spouting means nothing. I have watched the Vols since Bernard King and Ernie Grunfeld. Over the decades they have had some good teams and when Pearl came along they had a nice run early in his career. But traditionally I would never place UT as a traditional basketball school. Duke, UK, UCLA,Mich State, Louisville, Georgetown, those are schools with Bball tradition.

Just because we don't have " tradition" as KY, Duke, UCLA , etc.. Does not mean we do not have tradition. We may not be a "traditional powerhouse" like these schools, however, we do have some tradition of winning as proven by our overall record. I remember watching us beat KY 5 straight times in the 70's when we had Ernie and Bernie. We have actually defeated UK more than any other school in the country. Sure, we will never be a tradional powerhouse like them but I do feel we have tradition.

Reactions: 3 people
1. State of the art facilities (check)
2. Supportive fan base ( check)
3. Winning tradition ( check)
3. Administration willing to pay and support a coach at the
highest level ( to be determined )

Obviously we have the facilities, fan base and tradition to have a successful basketball program and win at a high level. Question is, do we have an Adminstration that is willing to make it happen? We will find out in the next several weeks.

Have we ever? Seems we've always had the money scrimping roll the dice approach.

Thanks for backing up my statements with facts. It is amazing to me how the younger generation doesn't realize how successful our program has been historically. Albeit, not so much in the NCAA tourney which maybe is the reason most don't realize the success we have had otherwise.

How many schools have better tradition in the country? Are we in the top 25? 50? 75? I made a quick list and have us around 30th and I am sure I missed some schools.

Last edited:
Keys to success.

1. A 7 foot white guy

2. A point guard who can dish and create.

3. 3 shooting guards that can get you 7 to 12 ppg.

4. 2 SF 6'6 to 6'8 that can shoot the 3 and rebound.

5. 2 or 3 6'8 to 6'10 guys that can score from 10 feet in and rebound.

6. Fans that will not start petitions.

7. Fans that will travel to tournament venues.

8. Cheerleaders that are hot.

9. Glow in the dark Nike Orange uniforms.

10. Back to Back Elite 8's.

11. Our first Final Four.

12. Our first National Championship.

13. Get rid of Bob Kesling.

14. Start our own basketball version of Finebaum on SEC network.

15. Stop the Bring Back Bruce crap.

16. Someone get a camera into the next Calipari BBQ.

17. Take my phone away.

1. Experience
2. Proven Recruiter
3. Resources

Can't expect some guy with four years of experience to beat Calipari, Donovan, Pearl, Howland, Stallings, etc...on the trail or the court.

Well, you CAN expect, is it reasonable? No.

By your definition we wouldn't be considered a traditional football school either since we're not Alabama, Notre Dame, etc.

Based on "tradition", they rank behind lsu, Kentucky, and Arkansas. That shouldn't get much of an argument.

You could make a case for a couple of others.

That's just within the SEC

Based on "tradition", they rank behind lsu, Kentucky, and Arkansas. That shouldn't get much of an argument.

You could make a case for a couple of others.

That's just within the SEC

And even your 2 best years, we beat you 75% of the time.

Top players and a system year after year creates fans, money, tradition, and a successful program. You need a basketball system that works both defensively and offensively. You need top players everything else falls into place.

VN Store

Back