Little reality check

NEO

Eat at Joe's
I know there are a lot of BB fans on here and you want UT to be back where Pearl had us, but the fact is TN is really not a BB school and there is a chance we may never get to that level again in our lifetimes.

I am not trying to be pessimistic but most football schools just don't do well in BB, and vice versa. We are first and foremost a FB school and always will be. Outside of Kentucky the SEC is normally not a power conference in the NCAA tourney.

The reason I say this is because there are some on here who are moaning how this set us back so far. In my opinion, it only put us back to where we were before Pearl and after Pearl. Pearl was the only reason we were suddenly good, the same as Vanderbilt and Franklin. Vandy is not a football school, they never will be, but for a brief period of time they had a hot coach and began to be a hot team. he left and now they are Vandy again.

I cannot foresee the future, nor do I have any predictions, but I think a lot of people on here would be a lot happier if you lived with some perspective. We will probably hover around the NCAA bubble for the next 5 to 10 years, we may even get in and make a run to the sweet 16, but we aren't going to be number one in any poll again for a long long time--basketball wise.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 2 people
I agree with some things. I'm just confused why everybody is all of a sudden so concerned about bball. When we start winning 10 games a year again in the fall nobody will hardly even care. Yes, I want a good team , but I don't expect basketball to ever be competing for championships year in and year out.

I agree with some things. I'm just confused why everybody is all of a sudden so concerned about bball. When we start winning 10 games a year again in the fall nobody will hardly even care. Yes, I want a good team , but I don't expect basketball to ever be competing for championships year in and year out.
It's because many people realize that the right hire can avoid that outcome. I never cared about it until Pearl. It was fun . I'd like to care again. Let's get a coach who can make that happen.

Reactions: 6 people
I always love the people who only show up to post when things are bad and proceed the tell the rest of us who are always here "what's up".

GTFO.

Reactions: 7 people
UT fans have always supported basketball. The administration are the ones that have been lacking in support. No reason that we cant be strong in both sports. Stop with the built in excuses.

Reactions: 8 people
UT fans have always supported basketball. The administration are the ones that have been lacking in support. No reason that we cant be strong in both sports. Stop with the built in excuses.

No joke. Pearl showed bb can be big here. Cuonzo had a team on cusp of elite 8 in a season that was mediocre. Sick of people saying this isn't bball school.Pearl showed it can be. He isn't only coach who is capable of that.

Reactions: 3 people
Reality, check. Even when we were in stokley we were tops in the nation in attendance, before all the merging conference, we were second to only ky in sec wins. In 1989 we open one of the largest on campus arenas in the country. Even withe mediocre leader ship we as fans still had 12-15k fans in the seats. Did it look empty yeah, cause it's huge. Cameron indoor holds what 9k. We are a basketball school and until we as fans realize we are special place we will continue to have piss poor leadership. GoVols, Go vols bball. Been a card holding member of bball since 79/80 season.

Reactions: 6 people

I was born and raised in Knox and don't believe for a second people haven't cared about bball. Sure, tons jumped on when Pearl came, but some were just revived after several lackluster years and had lost hope. People care and have cared and should care.

Is this Dave Hart?

Reactions: 1 person
I was born and raised in Knox and don't believe for a second people haven't cared about bball. Sure, tons jumped on when Pearl came, but some were just revived after several lackluster years and had lost hope. People care and have cared and should care.

Thank you. Same here and I grew up going to A sold out Stokley Athletics Center in the 70's and 80's with 12,700 fans. While this is and always will be a " football" school, This town has always been basketball crazy too. However, it is important to have a competitive program to keep fans excited as was proved by Bruce Pearl's tenure. This year's team went 16-16 and averaged 16,000 fans to watch some pretty bad basketball at times. There are only 2 schools in the SEC that care more about basketball than UT ( KY and Arkansas). Make the right hire and we can once again have a packed house cheering on our Vols in TBA.

Reactions: 5 people
This has been a good, solid basketball program for most of its history. Tennessee doesn't suffer from a lack of fan support. It suffers from lack of courage and leadership from those purporting to run the athletic department.

The names may change at UT. But the complete lack of vision and ambition from leadership carries on.

This should be a Top 15-20 program year in and year out. This should be a program gaining national recognition and acclaim for Tennessee. Perhaps at some point, someone in the bootlicking media will actually put the blame where it belongs.

But I look forward to some clown on this thread blaming the fans for the stupidity of the present athletic director. Blaming the fans as a cover for those who actually run things is a tradition for some around here.

Reactions: 5 people
This has been a good, solid basketball program for most of its history. Tennessee doesn't suffer from a lack of fan support. It suffers from lack of courage and leadership from those purporting to run the athletic department.

The names may change at UT. But the complete lack of vision and ambition from leadership carries on.

This should be a Top 15-20 program year in and year out. This should be a program gaining national recognition and acclaim for Tennessee. Perhaps at some point, someone in the bootlicking media will actually put the blame where it belongs.

But I like forward to some clown on this thread blaming the fans for the stupidity of the present athletic director.

This. All day.

But I look forward to some clown on this thread blaming the fans for the stupidity of the present athletic director. Blaming the fans as a cover for those who actually run things is a tradition for some around here.
Like the time Dickey could have hired Bill Self from Oral Roberts but claimed our fans wouldn't like,the hire?

Thank you. Same here and I grew up going to A sold out Stokley Athletics Center in the 70's and 80's with 12,700 fans. While this is and always will be a " football" school, This town has always been basketball crazy too. However, it is important to have a competitive program to keep fans excited as was proved by Bruce Pearl's tenure. This year's team went 16-16 and averaged 16,000 fans to watch some pretty bad basketball at times. There are only 2 schools in the SEC that care more about basketball than UT ( KY and Arkansas). Make the right hire and we can once again have a packed house cheering on our Vols in TBA.

Yes. The right hire is a guy that has a passion for the state and program. I guy that isn't above pursuing the fans and winning them over. A guy that has his team playing hard even when down. For crying out loud, Tyndall was 16-16 and most fans loved him and were pleased. That says something. People act like we have unrealistic expectations, and that's absurd. Tennessee didn't fire Jerry Green because of his record, but because he burned bridges. That's on him. I have been going to games since mid 80's so not as long as you, and have seen what is possible with a guy who can lead and assemble a capable staff, which is something Pearl did that doesn't get mentioned. He had a solid x and o's guy, a guy who could manage subs, a guy who could watch tape and help lead game planning. That's a big part of this process IMO. If an underwhelming hire hires a nice staff, I can get behind it.

Like the time Dickey could have hired Bill Self from Oral Roberts but claimed our fans wouldn't like,the hire?

Stuff like this is why I laugh when people say things like they wish Dickey was the AD still; he's a big part of the reason we have a spotty basketball history.

Yep, then a few years later he hires a guy from Oregon few knew of after whiffing on Stallings. To his credit, he made a run at Floyd at least.

The same people saying this is not a BBall school are the ones that said Texas A&M and Mizzu cant make it in the SEC

VN Store

Back