The Hurleys

Unimane

Dan and Bobby are going to be big time coaches in the very near future. Both have great pedigrees (Check out their dad) and each has sharply improved their teams in a short amount of time. Bobby, in particular, has shown a penchant for playing good programs tough and already guided his team to a strong performance in the tournament (I think a prerequisite for the UT job should be tournament experience.).

Someone is going to get one of these two in short order. I say it should be us and go get Bobby. If he can win at freaking Buffalo and go into Lexington, giving the Cats a strong game, then I think he can do the same here.

Otherwise, a strong "no" to the following:

1. Mediocre coaches who used to be the next best thing and fizzled somewhere major, a.k.a. an Anthony Grant.

2. No veteran coaches who have done nothing particularly special in the tournament. So, no Jamie Dixon's of the world, although, he wouldn't be terrible.

3. No Bruce. Sorry, it's not happening. And, it wouldn't be like the first time, anyway. That bridge is burned.

4. No more Cuonzos, mid major guys who showed some promise, but had never really accomplished anything.

Reactions: 6 people
I want to like Bobby but he just doesn't have much experience. Also not really part of the Coach K coaching tree- I say this not because I think his coaching tree is good but because most people will like Bobby Hurley under the impression that he is from that tree.

Reactions: 1 person
I want to like Bobby but he just doesn't have much experience. Also not really part of the Coach K coaching tree- I say this not because I think his coaching tree is good but because most people will like Bobby Hurley under the impression that he is from that tree.

Do you realize how difficult it is to win at Buffalo U? Hurley would blow this place up. Pipeline into the east coast recruiting would be tremendous. His coaching tree begins with his legendary father and not K.

Reactions: 8 people
Do you realize how difficult it is to win at Buffalo U? Hurley would blow this place up. Pipeline into the east coast recruiting would be tremendous. His coaching tree begins with his legendary father and not K.

Good points. I agree. Again, for me, it's the lack of experience.

Good points. I agree. Again, for me, it's the lack of experience.

Yeah, he's a little light in the experience department, but he's a future star somewhere and, for once, I would like to be ahead of the curve on that one. We had Bill Self and Gregg Marshall begging to come here at various times and we passed on them. Someone needs to be a basketball person in this search and have some foresight.

Reactions: 3 people
Yeah, he's a little light in the experience department, but he's a future star somewhere and, for once, I would like to be ahead of the curve on that one. We had Bill Self and Gregg Marshall begging to come here at various times and we passed on them. Someone needs to be a basketball person in this search and have some foresight.

Hindsight is always 20-20. Alabama had good reason to take a chance on Grant but it didn't work out. Examples could be multiplied.

Believe Bobby just signed an extension at Buffalo this week, by no means do I think he'll stay for the duration, but doubt he'd jump immediately.

Hindsight is always 20-20. Alabama had good reason to take a chance on Grant but it didn't work out. Examples could be multiplied.

Plenty of basketball people saw it coming. We just don't include many of them in the discussion, usually. The one time we did? Ernie Grunfeld and the Pearl hire.

Reactions: 1 person

What? Bill Self wanted to come here? How did I miss this? When?

What? Bill Self wanted to come here? How did I miss this? When?

Right around 94 I believe when he was at Oral Roberts. I think we passed on him and hired Kevin O'Neill instead. Before the Tulsa job, Self hadn't had any success until his last year at OR.

Last edited:
I'd be happy with either of the Hurley boys. What Dan has done is phenomenal, Bobby's turnaround at Buffalo is just as impressive. Give me the guy from
Duke all day long.

I don't think not being a part of the Coach K tree is a bad thing. Who off that tree, has had much success?

Bobby for sure. He's high on my list. He coached a hell of a game at Rupp this year.

I would take Bobby. He has shown a lot of promise in his short coaching career and has a ton of experience as a player in the tourney. The only drawback would be if he comes here and gets the program going good and then coach K retires, would he leave to go coach Duke? That is the only drawback I can see right now. He would have our program in a good position to get a great coach when he left. Just my opinion.

Dan and Bobby are going to be big time coaches in the very near future. Both have great pedigrees (Check out their dad) and each has sharply improved their teams in a short amount of time. Bobby, in particular, has shown a penchant for playing good programs tough and already guided his team to a strong performance in the tournament (I think a prerequisite for the UT job should be tournament experience.).

Someone is going to get one of these two in short order. I say it should be us and go get Bobby. If he can win at freaking Buffalo and go into Lexington, giving the Cats a strong game, then I think he can do the same here.

Otherwise, a strong "no" to the following:

1. Mediocre coaches who used to be the next best thing and fizzled somewhere major, a.k.a. an Anthony Grant.

2. No veteran coaches who have done nothing particularly special in the tournament. So, no Jamie Dixon's of the world, although, he wouldn't be terrible.

3. No Bruce. Sorry, it's not happening. And, it wouldn't be like the first time, anyway. That bridge is burned.

4. No more Cuonzos, mid major guys who showed some promise, but had never really accomplished anything.

Tennessee is not going to spend the money to get a real good coach in here. That's just fact. All you Pearl homers just a word of advise. Let it go. Bruce is never going to coach at Tennessee again. Let's face it people, as long as Cal is at Kentucky and Billy is at Florida we will never compete with them. Kentucky recruits 5 star kids and we recruit 3 star kids.

Then again Turner Gill is now coaching football at Liberty after Almost landing the Auburn job.

I would take Bobby. He has shown a lot of promise in his short coaching career and has a ton of experience as a player in the tourney. The only drawback would be if he comes here and gets the program going good and then coach K retires, would he leave to go coach Duke? That is the only drawback I can see right now. He would have our program in a good position to get a great coach when he left. Just my opinion.

There are only a few schools where a coach would stay 5+ years... UT isn't one of them.

VN Store

Back