Steve Lavin - currently unemployed.

TennaciousD957

I'm Kind of a Big Deal
He and St. John's are parting ways. The rumor is St. John's got upset because he was throwing his name into the ring for several open jobs. I just found another article that said just a few days ago they were working on a 3 year extension. Apparently those talks disintegrated.

226-133 (.650) winning percentage.

8 NCAAs and 2 NITs in 12 seasons
1 Elite 8, 4 Sweet 16s
Recruited the #1 recruiting class in the country in 1998 and 2001

He looks slimy, but no NCAA issues on file and you would be hard pressed with Howland off the table to find another coach with a more impressive record.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I could get behind Lavin in a heart beat. He would be an excellent hire. We wont find a more proven coach to come here.

Reactions: 1 person
Lavin is like Barnes did a lot early but now in modern college basketball hasn't done as much. I don't know how Lavin would fit at UT.

Learning From the Best

Prior to his experience at UCLA as a head and assistant coach, Lavin was a graduate assistant (1988-91) and staff member at Purdue University for three seasons under Gene Keady.

Lavin has worked for and studied under some of the most recognized defensive coaches in the country - former Texas Tech and Indiana head coach Bob Knight, Duke's Krzyzewski, former Fresno State head coach Jerry Tarkanian, longtime NBA assistant Tim Grgurich, Hall of Famer Pete Newell and California Junior College Hall of Famer Bud Presley - in addition to his three years with the Purdue Hall of Famer.

While at Purdue, Lavin assisted with all aspects of the Boilermaker program. Purdue advanced to the NCAA Tournament in both 1990 and '91. During his three seasons in West Lafayette, Ind., Purdue was 54-36 overall, including a 22-8 mark in 1989-90 when the Boilermakers were the Big-10 runner-up and ranked No. 6 by USA Today. As a key member of Keady's staff at Purdue, Lavin assisted at the 1989 U.S. World University Team trials (the team won the gold medal in West Germany) and the 1991 U.S. Pan American Team trials (the squad won the bronze medal).

Lavin has been a summer camp and coaches' clinic speaker throughout the country, specializing in defense, footwork and motivation.

From 1992-96, as a consultant/advisor, he traveled to Korea and worked with both the Korean National and Samsung professional teams. Lavin has also been involved with the Japanese National basketball program and traveled to Japan in the summer of 1996.

I would require him to have a physical. He was just working on an extension and now a mutual separation. He did get back with SJU and then had to take a break because of his health. This could be the reason for a sudden change and departure

Please do not consider the" axle grease"man who was at UCLA. He had some questionable activities ther and was let go.He always seems to get one job while looking for something up the pipe from day one.There should be a list of promising up and comers if UT will get off it's "minimum wage"pay rates.For once,pony up for a basketball coach.

You could have a mixture of John Wooden, Dean Smith, and Coach K and people would find fault with them.

I will take an experienced guy who can recruit over an up and comer any day.

Lavin hasn't done jack as a coach and that includes getting jobs at one of the elite schools in America and sitting in a hotbed of talent in NYC.

Why people want these proven mediocrities, I have no idea.

You could have a mixture of John Wooden, Dean Smith, and Coach K and people would find fault with them.

I will take an experienced guy who can recruit over an up and comer any day.

In this case, I like an up-and-comer, as we aren't going to be good for several years regardless of who we hire (realistic candidates only, of course). He could grow as the team grows and would most likely come with more realistic expectations vs. a Lavin, Howland, Barnes type, who many will feel needs to win right away.

He and St. John's are parting ways. The rumor is St. John's got upset because he was throwing his name into the ring for several open jobs. I just found another article that said just a few days ago they were working on a 3 year extension. Apparently those talks disintegrated.

226-133 (.650) winning percentage.

8 NCAAs and 2 NITs in 12 seasons
1 Elite 8, 4 Sweet 16s
Recruited the #1 recruiting class in the country in 1998 and 2001

He looks slimy, but no NCAA issues on file and you would be hard pressed with Howland off the table to find another coach with a more impressive record.

Good coach....Too good, Not the type UT goes after...Sad but true.

Yes when we hire a new coach. It's his tradition to find an old pic of our current head basketball coach.

Hope it is another good one. The last three have been quite humorous.

Pearl with his big afro

Martin with his fade

Tyndall looking like he had his picture taken in a Walmart portrait studio with his jersey on

WHO'S NEXT!?!?!?

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back