Take Steve Prohm off the list; just renegotiated his MSU contract

therealitytheory

Prohm has been mentioned a lot the last 24 hours as Tyndall's possible replacement, so his employers at Murray State apparently moved to lock him down. Big raise and extension through 2019.

You'd think Prohm would wait a little...maybe take the weekend..?

Has this been signed or just offered?

Steve Prohm agrees to an extension with Murray State | CollegeBasketballTalk

He’s been linked to the Alabama opening, where he is an alum, as well as the Tennessee job this month alone. But Prohm isn’t ready to leave Murray, as the school announced that he has signed an extension to remain head coach with the Racers.

“I want to thank Murray State […] for their commitment to me and the Racer Basketball program over the next several years,” Prohm said. “We have an opportunity to do something really special here and I’m honored to be a part of it.”

U do know that an extension is just the schools attempt to keep him and show him love....Prohm can still leave any time he wants too.

You know these extensions mean very little

Given his comments, he wouldn't come off looking the best.

“I want to thank Murray State […] for their commitment to me and the Racer Basketball program over the next several years,” Prohm said. “We have an opportunity to do something really special here and I’m honored to be a part of it.”

After telling people they can do something special there and he feels honored, he's gonna turn around and say bye? As you've both said, he can... but he's gonna look like an a-hole.

Reactions: 1 person
When I was in school at Murray State, Houston Nutt signed a lengthy extension. Within a couple of months he was in Boise, Idaho.

Extensions mean nothing unless there is something else in the contract that would handcuff him there.

I would assume the extension increases the buyout
and seeing how we like to bargain shop....not a good sign

Reactions: 2 people

After telling people they can do something special there and he feels honored, he's gonna turn around and say bye? As you've both said, he can... but he's gonna look like an a-hole.

He wouldn't even have to say bye

What do you expect him to say? "Thanks for the extension. I do accept it but I wanted to let you all know that there are some jobs opening up and I want to keep my options open"?

Reactions: 3 people
He wouldn't even have to say bye

lol

While that may be true, I wasn't being literal. To not even wait around for the other offers before signing and to make those comments, he would look like a dick if he left now. I know I'd hate a coach if they did it to us. I'd lack respect for him and his word would mean nothing.

You know these extensions mean very little

I haven't seen his new contract, but if it's for five more seasons they've surely at least jacked up his buyout, right?

Again, why not take a few days - I doubt he was under threat of being canned for not taking the extension.

Maybe but every coach says the same thing right before they take a better job.

I haven't seen his new contract, but if it's for five more seasons they've surely at least jacked up his buyout, right?

Again, why not take a few days - I doubt he was under threat of being canned for not taking the extension.

doubt it....if he has a good agent....he gets the extra yrs, more money, and a higher buy out if he gets fired but the same buyout if he leaves.....the school is trying to do this bc they are afraid he will leave not bc he is afraid he will be fired.

As others have mentioned extensions are easily overcome. Schools o it for multiple reasons. 1 obviously to hope schools will back off and 2 if it's evident their coach will be pursued they get more money in buyout.

What do you expect him to say? "Thanks for the extension. I do accept it but I wanted to let you all know that there are some jobs opening up and I want to keep my options open"?

Even if he told Murray that up front, he'd still be playing the fans... the people who supported him for years. He told them they can do something special and he feels honored. For him to tell that to his fans only to leave, he'd be a dick similar to that of Kiffin if you ask me. And knowing UT and Bama were after him, why even bother with the extension if he thought he'd be leaving? He already knows he has a 3 million dollar offer coming from Bama. So... unless they're going to fix their offer and increase it, the offer has already been made public which means he knows what he's being offered and Murray's offer was good enough. That's how I'm gonna take it until I see otherwise.

Reactions: 2 people
Even if he told Murray that up front, he'd still be playing the fans... the people who supported him for years. He told them they can do something special and he feels honored. For him to tell that to his fans only to leave, he'd be a dick similar to that of Kiffin if you ask me. And knowing UT and Bama were after him, why even bother with the extension if he thought he'd be leaving? He already knows he has a 3 million dollar offer coming from Bama. So... unless they're going to fix their offer and increase it, the offer has already been made public which means he knows what he's being offered and Murray's offer was good enough. That's how I'm gonna take it until I see otherwise.

What is he suppose to say?

doubt it....if he has a good agent....he gets the extra yrs, more money, and a higher buy out if he gets fired but the same buyout if he leaves.....the school is trying to do this bc they are afraid he will leave not bc he is afraid he will be fired.

I guess I'm naïve, but if you know you're about to be interviewed by a few high majors (TN and Bama and others), you don't bring on the machinations of a press conference and profess your undying love for Murray State and your intent to be there for years to come.

He knows the fan bases of these potential suitors are tuned in, right? Again, why not just keep quiet for a few days..

Fans at a place like Murray State understand that their school has traditionally been known as a stepping stone school. It's been happening for years in both basketball and football. I think most understand the Prohm isn't going to be a lifer. But that's just my opinion.

VN Store

Back