ESPN writer comes down hard on Hart and UT's handinglin of the situation

Dana O'neil is becoming worthless. I don't believe the network has her on camera anymore so she's been relegated to writing about stuff she's concocted. Hart says USM did not know about the investigation, its been said ad nauseum that this was the doing of a disgruntled employee who Tyndall didn't bring with him to Knoxville, so how was this out there before he was hired? It wasn't. Did he "cheat" before being hired? Yes. But if he brings the assistant with him it likely never comes to light. Shut up Dana.

Reactions: 12 people
Dana O'neil is becoming worthless. I don't believe the network has her on camera anymore so she's been relegated to writing about stuff she's concocted. Hart says USM did not know about the investigation, its been said ad nauseum that this was the doing of a disgruntled employee who Tyndall didn't bring with him to Knoxville, so how was this out there before he was hired? It wasn't. Did he "cheat" before being hired? Yes. But if he brings the assistant with him it likely never comes to light. Shut up Dana.

DT obviously lied to DH ! :blush2:

Did Hart fire Fulmer? Did he hire Kiffin? Dooley? Did he run Martin off?

No.

Hart didn't do any of that stuff to put us where we are.

Hamilton fired Fulmer. Hired Kiffin. Hired Dooley.

WE ran Martin off with that asinine petition because we sometimes have the worst attitude as a fan base.

People want to crucify Hart- for what?

Take a hard look at the real reason UT athletics are what they are. It's not Hart's fault. The man's just trying to fix it.

If I were him I'd give us the big finger and go home.

Reactions: 24 people

Dana has opined about UT before in a not so positive light. While she sometimes makes some good points, the hilarity in all of this is that she's a Penn State graduate. If anyone should know about breaking laws/rules, especially in regards to pedophilia, it should be her.

What is comical is when a writer tries to put themselves in the shoes of an AD and act like they've hired coaches before. They have no clue what it is like. 99.9% of the population doesn't know what it is like. So, to act like she could've done a better job is hilarious.

Reactions: 4 people
That was strictly an Op-Ed piece vs any form of news reporting. Considering Dana didn't give 2 sh!ts about UT BB prior to this, I'm not going to worry much about her opinion now. Everybody is a genius in hindsight and the only thing she said that was accurate is 'only Hart knows if they asked the right questions' not some hack at ESPN.

Reactions: 1 person
This is where it all started - "In the wake of the Bruce Pearl mess, Tennessee hired Cuonzo Martin and then essentially ran him out of town, despite a Sweet 16 appearance. Fan outcry and frustration practically put an unwelcome mat at the coachÂ’s front door, and he wisely opted to leave before he was asked to, bolting to California."

It appears the revisionists are working overtime for Bama Dave today.

Delays the firing of Dools after the horrible loss to UK by going back to his buds and pulling Fred Flintstone from Saban in a sorry attempt to repair what cannot be repaired. Meanwhile Bama (along with the rest of the SEC including Vandy) continues to blow us out.

Conducted his own search for a football coach with the help of Booger, which included offering the job to Strong twice and Gundy before emissaries dropped Butch in his lap - at which time he makes a panic hire within 24 hours of meeting him. Blind squirrel and acorn come to mind.

Conducts his own search again and hires Zo from mighty Missouri State. Yes, even he leaves because Hart waffles in his support of him - which may be smart moves by both of them in a back handed sort of way. The roster is left in shambles. Conducts his own search again and makes a panic hire of an up and comer that is long on coaching skills and short on character and ethics - while knowing in advance that the later exists in the coach's recent history.

Cuts a deal with Nike. Great, we should want Nike. Only the deal attempts to destroy the image and brand built by a legendary HOF basketball coach, a legendary women's AD, legendary softball coaches, multiple other top coaches in other sports, thousands of female athletes, and hundreds of thousands of fans over decades that is known internationally.

Well done, Bama Dave, well done.

Reactions: 5 people
did hart fire fulmer? Did he hire kiffin? Dooley? Did he run martin off?

No.

Hamilton fired fulmer. Hired kiffin. Hired dooley.

We ran martin off with that asinine petition because we always have the worst attitude as a fan base.

People want to crucify hart- for what?

Take a hard look at the real reason ut athletics are what they are. It's not hart's fault. The man's just trying to fix it.

If i were him i'd give us the big finger and go home.
fyp

I don't really have a problem with what she wrote. Everything seeme pretty spot on to me. I hate the way it makes us look, but that's the reality of the situation right now.

Reactions: 2 people

No.

WE ran Martin off with that asinine petition because we sometimes have the worst attitude as a fan base.

Take a hard look at the real reason UT athletics are what they are. It's not Hart's fault. The man's just trying to fix it.

Let me guess it because of the negavols on VN is the reason he offered a job worth 1.8m to a known hack in the bb world after 2 hrs...n its our fault that Dave hart is in charge of a major ad n should be held accountable for such poor judgment??

Oh wait all this is because we r tn n everything is harder n worse off than any other schools in america..

Its simple he is the man n paid big money to make the right decision..not well maybe next time.. He doesn't have that option.

I am tired of reading about how Cuonzo Martin was run out of town.
He was offered a raise to stay.

My gripe with Dana O'Neil is that I've been an ESPN Insider subscriber for years, and my impression of her has always been that she scarcely follows SEC basketball and doesn't have much to contribute on the topic. But when Tennessee basketball went south, she was suddenly full of opinions. Her piece in particular on Cuonzo's departure was missing lots of key context, namely the actual performance of the team over his three seasons vs. its potential.

But calling her a b---- is low-class. It's easy enough to dismiss her on the merits. Why be sexist?

Reactions: 3 people

Delays the firing of Dools after the horrible loss to UK by going back to his buds and pulling Fred Flintstone from Saban in a sorry attempt to repair what cannot be repaired. Meanwhile Bama (along with the rest of the SEC including Vandy) continues to blow us out.

Conducted his own search for a football coach with the help of Booger, which included offering the job to Strong twice and Gundy before emissaries dropped Butch in his lap - at which time he makes a panic hire within 24 hours of meeting him. Blind squirrel and acorn come to mind.

Conducts his own search again and hires Zo from mighty Missouri State. Yes, even he leaves because Hart waffles in his support of him - which may be smart moves by both of them in a back handed sort of way. The roster is left in shambles. Conducts his own search again and makes a panic hire of an up and comer that is long on coaching skills and short on character and ethics - while knowing in advance that the later exists in the coach's recent history.

Cuts a deal with Nike. Great, we should want Nike. Only the deal attempts to destroy the image and brand built by a legendary HOF basketball coach, a legendary women's AD, legendary softball coaches, multiple other top coaches in other sports, thousands of female athletes, and hundreds of thousands of fans over decades that is known internationally.

And there it is. Another bluehaired lady vol fan heard from.

No.

I wish he would go home!

No.

There is a lot that doesn't fall under his watch. But that doesn't mean he has done a lot to fix it either.

I am tired of reading about how Cuonzo Martin was run out of town.
He was offered a raise to stay.

If the whole goal of a basketball coach is a paycheck, I'd agree with you. If, however, the goal is to create a positive culture as well as make your team a regular in the latter rounds of the Tourney, a good deal of support from the administration and the fans is required.

Oh yes, because it was the shoes, Adidas, that made all those players legendary and not the players and coaches. Crack must be gooooood.

VN Store

Back