Is it time to finally bite the bullet and go get

He has said on more than one occasion he does not want to deal with the problems of a big university program.

He has said on more than one occasion he does not want to deal with the problems of a big university program.

He's said on more than one occasion that he has wanted the job and he's resigned to the fact that the timing and his career never lined up. Hell, he said he interviewed when they hired Martin. At his age now, he may not want to come, but there's been ample opportunities.

Reactions: 2 people
The correct answer to this question is YES!
He's a great coach and could get us back to a respectable program for when he does retire.

Reactions: 1 person
Hiring Byrd would be a super safe and stable hire. He has a tremendous work ethic. I compare it to Jimmy L @ Miami going thru their tough times.

If he was 20 years younger.

He's 61, not 71. Go get him and let him build this program the next 8-10 years like he's done at Belmont, where he has a lot fewer resources. This guy would be a home run hire for what we need right now IMHO.

Reactions: 2 people

Haha! People have been saying Rick is too old for UTs job for 10 years. He sure doesn't look too old to me when I see him standing on the sidelines coaching Belmont in the NCAA tournament every. single. year.

Larry Brown is the SMU HC at 74...

and you guys are worried about a coach who's 61? he could easily put in 5-7 years at UT

Prohm. Byrd is too old. You only hire someone older than 60 if he is Coach k or Larry Brown or someone else with the name recognition and resume.

The fact people think Tennessee will ever compete in the recruiting rankings with those 4 over time is absurd. But then again, it's Vol Fans

The fact that people think we are going to be able to hire a high profile coach after what has happened to the last 3 coaches here blows my mind.

Byrd doesn't have the name recognition and pull with recruits they do.

Neither did Donnie Tyndall, but he had the coaching ability to satisfy the fan base and give them reason for hope. I believe Byrd is a better Xs and Os coach and could get us on the upswing within a couple of years.
He's a guy that could win games with the poor talent we'll have for the next couple of seasons.

Neither did Donnie Tyndall, but he had the coaching ability to satisfy the fan base and give them reason for hope. I believe Byrd is a better Xs and Os coach and could get us on the upswing within a couple of years.
He's a guy that could win games with the poor talent we'll have for the next couple of seasons.

Get a young exciting, hot name coach or a veteran with recruiting ties and we won't have to worry about poor talent. The right coach can turn a bball program around in a year. Pearl got a top ten class his first year and he came from UWM.

VN Store

Back