Al Pinkins as head coach

CNeagleVolFan

Guys I'm behind Tyndall 100%, but if an NCAA decision is made towards the end of the summer and we have to fire Donnie Tyndall do we retain Al Pinkins as our head coach? Probably a silly question, but Pinkins has had a ton of experience as an assistant coach and its not far fetched to think he isn't going to be a head coach sometime in the future. He is also a very good recruiter, and if we kept Pinkins he would be able to retain most if not all of our current roster and recruits we may get this summer. Its just a hypothetical question, but I do think it is a fair question to ask. What do you all think?

Reactions: 2 people
I get what you are saying but there is no way they keep anyone on this staff if they have to fire Donny bc of the NCAA.

I get what you are saying but there is no way they keep anyone on this staff if they have to fire Donny bc of the NCAA.

Pinkins had nothing to do with what happened with Tyndall at southern miss or Morehead state. I think he'd be a safe choice.

Well hopefully it doesn't come to this. Hopefully a decision is made soon, and everything is resolved and we can move on with Tyndall.

Al is a good guy but he doesn't have the experience necessary to be a head coach on this level...now if he was at KY as an assistant coach you might be on to something.

Al is a good guy but he doesn't have the experience necessary to be a head coach on this level...now if he was at KY as an assistant coach you might be on to something.

UK's coaches don't do squat. Calipari doesn't either. All he does is recruit NBA players (most likely in an illegal manner) and just lets them do what they want on the court.

Pinkins was not with CDT at USM, so I dont think it will affect him negatively in that aspect.

That said, if CDT is let go at the last minute, I could see Pinkins being named interim HC for the season. Then Tennessee moves forward in the spring with a head start on candidates.

Reactions: 1 person
Pinkins was not with at USM, so I dont think it will affect him negatively in that aspect.

That said, if CDT is let go at the last minute, I could see Pinkins being named interim HC for the season. Then Tennessee moves forward in the spring with a head start on candidates.

Funny two CN people agree lol. I just think it would make it easier to move on. I think that would be the best thing to do.

Funny two CN people agree lol. I just think it would make it easier to move on. I think that would be the best thing to do.

Yeah, I'm not sure he is HC material yet, but as an interim in a rough situation as a last minute fill-in, we could do worse.

OP >> Is this a IN BEFORE THE FIRE post so you are the first, Tyndall will not be going anywhere. Maybe some suspension games but that's about it.

OP >> Is this a IN BEFORE THE FIRE post so you are the first, Tyndall will not be going anywhere. Maybe some suspension games but that's about it.

Not really the thought just crossed my mind lol. I hope you're correct though, because I think Pinkins can handle the team while Tyndall is suspended.

Guys I'm behind Tyndall 100%, but if an NCAA decision is made towards the end of the summer and we have to fire Donnie Tyndall do we retain Al Pinkins as our head coach? Probably a silly question, but Pinkins has had a ton of experience as an assistant coach and its not far fetched to think he isn't going to be a head coach sometime in the future. He is also a very good recruiter, and if we kept Pinkins he would be able to retain most if not all of our current roster and recruits we may get this summer. Its just a hypothetical question, but I do think it is a fair question to ask. What do you all think?

I say we bring in D. Dooley. (1) He took La. Tech to a bowl game, so obviously he can coach (2) He worked for Saban at LSU when they won a national championship, so obiviously, since he worked for Saban, he can coach like Saban. (3) Coaching is in his DNA. You know his father is VInce Dooley. (4) He grew up in Georgia, so he knows the area well and can recruit that area well. (5) Better to have him than someone who knows little about the S.E.C. (6) He is a young and up and coming coach in the college ranks. His age will likely help him relate to the players.

I say we bring in D. Dooley. (1) He took La. Tech to a bowl game, so obviously he can coach (2) He worked for Saban at LSU when they won a national championship, so obiviously, since he worked for Saban, he can coach like Saban. (3) Coaching is in his DNA. You know his father is VInce Dooley. (4) He grew up in Georgia, so he knows the area well and can recruit that area well. (5) Better to have him than someone who knows little about the S.E.C. (6) He is a young and up and coming coach in the college ranks. His age will likely help him relate to the players.

He could also be the AD, maybe that would go over well with the "lady vols" crowd since he doesnt have a set.

Very nice post thought you were talking about Tyndal. Hiring his assistant would be like hiring fat Sal.

If a change is made when it's not possible to ink a proven coach, and if Al is 100% cleared of NCAA violations, then absolutely try to get him agree to be the interim coach. Then if he does a good job, offer the permanent HC position in the middle of the season. If he doesn't accept, then open up the nation wide search.

He will never be anything than the interim head coach at UT if something crazy happened during next season. We just wouldn't hire him as our real head coach for numerous reasons.

Why do people wanna make this more than it is........????

Tyndall will not be fired because of the NCAA's investigation.

No matter what the feculent ncaa decides against Donnie, we wouldn't have to fire him any more than we had to fire Coach Pearl. Bruce was fired more to appease the maleficent organization that oversees college sports than because he committed some unprecedented and unforgivable transgression. I say no more kowtowing to Mark Emmert and his mafia.

I do not know about Mr. Pinkins but the thing that bothers me is the recruiting part of what is going on or should I say lack of interest from young athletes due to the situation with Donnie. I am sure all other coaches are using this to their benefit, the whole thing needs to get settled now rather than later so Donnie and the program are not in a state of limbo.

VN Store

Back