'16 TN SG/SF Clayton Hughes

CAVol

Composite 3 star and ranked in the top 200.

Clayton Hughes

Highlights

Holds a TN offer and currently has 2 Crystal Ball predictions with one of them being to us. Looks to be a pretty good shooter and athlete.

Last edited:
The kid has a pretty good shot on him. He's got pretty decent size, and is a good athlete. He's not overly athletic though, lacks the explosion of a McRae, Richardson type of athlete. If we're looking for a spot up shooter, he would be a good pickup. I believe he will work his way into the top 150 before he graduates. He just needs to keep going to camps and getting more exposure and could potentially end up earning that 4th star.

Disagree with the athleticism statement. Dude can rise up and dunk pretty well. May not be the best defensive player but he can put points up with the best in the region.

Yeah I thought so too, and then all these other guys on here acting like he's 7' tall like dirk Navitski or however its spelled lol.

Yeah. He may grow but I really like how he would fit in. Pure scorer for the team. Could get you 15 points a game by his junior year.

Yeah. He may grow but I really like how he would fit in. Pure scorer for the team. Could get you 15 points a game by his junior year.

Yeah I just hope we don't let him slip through the cracks, because he's a very good player we should not allow out of the state.

Disagree with the athleticism statement. Dude can rise up and dunk pretty well. May not be the best defensive player but he can put points up with the best in the region.

It was just my opinion. I'm not saying I'm right by any means. Yeah, he can rise up and dunk, he does have some hops. The difference to me though, is I'm not seeing the explosion.

Just because you can jump as high as another guy, doesn't mean you're as athletic as him. I just don't see that first quick step and explosion to the rim.

Compare his dunks to the guys I mentioned in McRae and Richardson.You can clearly see the difference. Well at least I can in my eyes. He definitely doesn't appear to be as fast/quick as either of them or other overly athletic players.

Even if I'm right about all of that, he would still be a great pick up for us. We need a couple of pure shooters on our team. I believe he will be recruited by us to be a spot up shooter, especially early in his career.

Reactions: 2 people
Biggest thing is this kid has a pure shooting stroke. The athleticism factor is just a bonus. He would be a great compliment to the big guys we are looking to sign in 2016.

Reactions: 1 person
It was just my opinion. I'm not saying I'm right by any means. Yeah, he can rise up and dunk, he does have some hops. The difference to me though, is I'm not seeing the explosion.

Just because you can jump as high as another guy, doesn't mean you're as athletic as him. I just don't see that first quick step and explosion to the rim.

Compare his dunks to the guys I mentioned in McRae and Richardson.You can clearly see the difference. Well at least I can in my eyes. He definitely doesn't appear to be as fast/quick as either of them or other overly athletic players.

Even if I'm right about all of that, he would still be a great pick up for us. We need a couple of pure shooters on our team. I believe he will be recruited by us to be a spot up shooter, especially early in his career.

http://youtu.be/jp2C2ZiP04E

I'll just leave this here and this.

http://youtu.be/5OR3m-4hgYY

McRae was more of a strider and dunker. Very polished and didn't need to rise very high to dunk. Richardson didn't have the explosion to dunk like he has until after his junior year. This guy is in high school and can do that. He has a lot of potential IMO.

Reactions: 2 people
Biggest thing is this kid has a pure shooting stroke. The athleticism factor is just a bonus. He would be a great compliment to the big guys we are looking to sign in 2016.
He does have a really nice stroke.

http://youtu.be/jp2C2ZiP04E

I'll just leave this here and this.

http://youtu.be/5OR3m-4hgYY

McRae was more of a strider and dunker. Very polished and didn't need to rise very high to dunk. Richardson didn't have the explosion to dunk like he has until after his junior year. This guy is in high school and can do that. He has a lot of potential IMO.

See now, I didn't see anything like that in the other videos posted. The explosion is definitely there in those two videos. Pretty dang sweet dunks, for anybody, at any level. Good find!

I wonder if he has the lateral quickness to defend SEC level players?

Last edited:
He does have a really nice stroke.

See now, I didn't see anything like that in the other videos posted. The explosion is definitely there in those two videos. Pretty dang sweet dunks, for anybody, at any level. Good find!

I wonder if he has the lateral quickness to defend SEC level players?
I'd say no, but who better to teach him that than Donnie. He can get him right on defense to where he is serviceable on defense and still can hit Threes and some good inside scores.

VN Store

Back