2014-2015 Player Grades

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
It's possible Tennessee gets an NIT bid but even then I think it's fair to starting grading the players and how they did this season. My grades are based on expectations going into the season, actual production, and improvement throughout the year. There are no grades for Jabari McGhee or Ian Chiles because of injury.

Josh Richardson: A+

Stats: 16.0/4.5/3.6/.05/2.1/36.3
Slash Line: 46.1/35.9/79.8

I'm not sure there was anything else Josh Richardson could do this year. Playing out of position, Josh literally carried this team. He was the best scorer, passer, defender, and leader on this team and is the only reason this season wasn't under .500. He led the conference in minutes per game and considering he was the only offensive option at times, he had a very impressive 56% true shooting percentage and 1.4 AST/TO ratio. He should get All-American consideration but sadly won't.

Kevin Punter: C+

Stats: 10.2/2.1/1.9/0.2/1.6/31.0
Slash Line: 41.9/35.2/68.5

Punter has a decent season, finishing third on the team in points, second in minutes and second in steals. He's a streaky shooter that can play the passing lanes and finish in the lane when he attacks the rim and provide Tennessee with a decent scoring punch. He has a lot of flaws and settles too much for jumpers, along with shoddy defense, but he is not in the best position to succeed. He can become a good player with a lot of work, but with a JUCO All-American junior coming as a starter this year Tennessee needs more consistency from him. Also, I just didn't see much improvement from him throughout the year but that might because of tired legs.

Robert Hubbs: C+

Stats: 7.2/2.9/0.9/0.5/0.1
Slash Line: 40.9/33.3/72.7

If Hubbs was a top 75 four star recruit instead of a top 25 five star recruit, the grade probably goes up and the fanbase's perception of him changes. He has talent and athleticism and can be an All-SEC type player but considering how much he improved from December to March was pretty impressive. He's an underrated defender and really helped out in the rebounding department. He was too inconsistent and needs to develop a more complete offensive game, especially because he can finish around the rim and has a quick first step. If he can improve his ball handling, pull up game, and mindset he can become a dangerous player. I think this is a fair grade.

Armani Moore: B+

Stats: 10.3/6.8/2.2/1.4/1.2/30.9
Slash Line: 44.5/18.2/61.7

Here's the interesting argument about Armani. Are his numbers better because he doesn't play out of position and he is actually a PF? Or is he actually a SF playing out of position? Armani was Tennessee best rebounder and inside shot blocker and he shower an improved post game. He is a good defender even though he fouls too much and he is really tough around the rim. He must develop a three point shot and I think if Tyndall recruits correctily he should move to the three spot which would improve his efficiency. I also would like to see Armani be a smarter defender and improve his ball handling to be more of a threat on the fastbreak. Either way, I really did like what I see from Moore and considering he's a 6'5 PF, had a really nice season.

Derek Reese: B

Stats: 6.0/5.3/0.9/1.4/0.7/0.3/25.3
Slash Line: 40.6/33.3/73.7

Reese gets a ridiculous amount of criticism he doesn't deserve. He's a 6'8 skinny stretch four that had to play way too much time at center. He's a good rebounder and okay shooter with the weirdest driving game that semi works I've ever seen. He can guard inside and outside effectively at times and also hustles as much as any one on the time. He isn't as bad at turnovers as his stats suggest (1.2 per game in 25 minutes per game) but he is very weak with the ball in his hands. He doesn't a good shot selection and sometimes just doesn't move his feet enough on defense but considering he played more out of position than Moore and had ridiculously unfair matchups I'm not sure there was much more he could have done. He's not a 25 minute per game player in the SEC but he is an effective player you can use off the bench at the 4 spot.

Willie Carmichael III: D+/B]

Stats: 3.0/2.3/0.3/0.2/0.4/14.8
Slash Line: 51.9/0.0/62.5

I'm probably lower on Carmichael than most on here because I just don't see it with him but he probably shouldn't be playing this year and had to because of the situation at Tennessee. He's a decent finisher around the rim and hustles his ass off on defense but he isn't a smart basketball player right now. He has to improve his rebounding to become a legitimate SEC player and he doesn't provide much on the offensive end. Honestly, he was probably Tennessee's worst rotation player and he has a lot to work on. The good news is that he is an athletic 6'8 freshman post. You never know with these guys.

Devon Baulkman: B

Stats: 4.7/2.3/0.6/0.6/0.1/14.7
Slash Line: 38.1/38.2/79.5

I wonder what his season would have looked like if he wasn't injured. I honestly believe if he was 100% healthy he would have been a full time starter. He's a very good shooter, active defender, and doesn't do too much. I really like what he brings to a team. He can't dribble at all which limits him and he isn't as good defensively as I thought, but his positives definitely outweigh his negatives. He's also a good rebounder for his size and next year I think he has a real shot to become a starter. Honestly I thought he should have gotten more minutes.

Detrick Mostella: D

Stats: 3.4/0.6/0.5/0.3/0.0
Slash Line: 27.6/27.2/70.0

I'm going to get a lot of hate for this and that's okay. Maybe I'm being unfair. But I was incredibly disappointed with Mostella this year. He came in as a top 100 recruit and played bad. I think he has a ton of potential, but he was Tennessee's worst defender and shot 27% from the field. I truly believe that if Ian Chiles or Jabari McGhee was healthy (where Moore would have played more wing) Mostella would have barely seen the court during conference play. There was a couple games where he really got going early in the year but it just never carried over. He looked way too lost. He has a nice first step and a pretty jumper but he a lot of work before becoming a regular SEC player and needs to show more effort on defense.

Tariq Owens: B-

Stats: 1.2/1.1/0.1/0.2/0.5/7.6
Slash Line: 35.3/52.6/0.0

To be honest, Owens should never have played this year but had to. A redshirt would have been most beneficial but considering how much of a disadvantage he was, I really like him. He's a nice shot blocker and has good touch on his shot so he has a chance. He can't rebound at all and he's almost scared inside the paint when he shoots but he has really good potential. Overall, I don't think there was much more Owens could provide and I actually think he should have gotten more playing time during some points of they year.

Reactions: 1 person
Reese shouldn't be on an sec roster I'm sorry. The absolutely worst starting player imo in the last ten years. I understand that they got as much as possible out of him so I understand the grade I just think reese is a waste and his scholarship is a waste.

Reese shouldn't be on an sec roster I'm sorry. The absolutely worst starting player imo in the last ten years. I understand that they got as much as possible out of him so I understand the grade I just think reese is a waste and his scholarship is a waste.

I completely disagree.

Reese has flaws. He isn't a starter. He can still contribute. He's a really solid rebounder and he is a decent enough three point shooter from the post spot. With a better team and a real point guard around him his efficiency would go up. Let's say that we had Darius Thompson and a true 6'10 center on this year's team. That would really help Reese get more open shots on the perimeter and guard players he should be guarding.

Also his floor spacing is solid, which helped Moore and J-Rich get drives to the lanes. That is also a very positive part of his game.

Reactions: 8 people
I completely disagree.

Reese has flaws. He isn't a starter. He can still contribute. He's a really solid rebounder and he is a decent enough three point shooter from the post spot. With a better team and a real point guard around him his efficiency would go up. Let's say that we had Darius Thompson and a true 6'10 center on this year's team. That would really help Reese get more open shots on the perimeter and guard players he should be guarding.

Also his floor spacing is solid, which helped Moore and J-Rich get drives to the lanes. That is also a very positive part of his game.

+1

I completely disagree.

For his size he is an average rebounder no leaping ability and constantly bobbles the ball. Reese is basically an average guy playing college ball with height. At that size I could guard hit threes and grab some rebounds too doesn't mean I deserve a scholarship to Tennessee.

For his size he is an average rebounder no leaping ability and constantly bobbles the ball. Reese is basically an average guy playing college ball with height. At that size I could guard hit threes and grab some rebounds too doesn't mean I deserve a scholarship to Tennessee.

Yeah it's a lot harder than that. He's a 6'8/215 4 playing center. It's not that easy being a college basketball player.

Reactions: 2 people
O I agree. The fact is tho most people that play competitive pickup basketball could do exactly what reese does if they were 6'8. That's my point most college players would be an improvement.

O I agree. The fact is tho most people that play competitive pickup basketball could do exactly what reese does if they were 6'8. That's my point most college players would be an improvement.

You're trying to make a ridiculous argument. Reese isn't a scrub that cannot contribute. He's a decent player. You act like he has no ability and only plays basketball because he's 6'8 and that's not even that tall

Reactions: 2 people
Let's put it this way reese would barely play at murray state and he wouldn't start at Belmont most likely. You will never win anything with players like that.

Oh Belmont and Murray State are both very successful mid majors that would beat a good amount of SEC teams so bad example.

Mostella was a disappointment but then most freshman who aren't named Jarnell or Tobias are. I expect him and Tariq to be much improved by next season.

This is Hubbs team next year. He has to step into that role or this team will have zero identity.

I also believe that a healthy Baulkman can make some noise. He's obviously a natural scorer, just battled a shoulder all season.

Punter is a role player. Solid on defense and can offer decent shooting but was extremely streaky this season.

I completely disagree with your assessment of Reese. Yeah he had a couple of nice performances (1st Vandy meeting) but his overall decision making on the floor turned him into a liability instead of an asset. He barely sees minutes on any other team. We had to play him. I cringed the same way I did when Steven Pearl entered games.

Oh Belmont and Murray State are both very successful mid majors that would beat a good amount of SEC teams so bad example.
They still aren't playing against sec level teams night in and night out. My argument is not that derek can't do something Bc obviously he did this year. My point is that he is not talented and on a good team would barely see the floor. I want to win and be a ncaa tourney team nit have a bunch of derek reeses running around.

I think we all know a lot of tall people who can't play college basketball. That's ridiculous.

If you don't think a 6'8 guy who is somewhat athletic can grab some rebounds in a college basketball game then I just don't know.

If you don't think a 6'8 guy who is somewhat athletic can grab some rebounds in a college basketball game then I just don't know.

While playing out of position...and also hits 3's and plays a lot of minutes for an SEC team. No, not just any somewhat athletic 6'8" guys can do that. But we get your opinion.

Reactions: 1 person
This argument about Reese basically describes his season. Sometimes he played pretty good, but other times not so good. I will agree that you can't win with that type of player.

This argument about Reese basically describes his season. Sometimes he played pretty good, but other times not so good. I will agree that you can't win with that type of player.

That's all I'm really trying to say. Reese in a starting lineup or playing major minutes is not a good thing.

solid rankings all but Reese. He did have to play out of position and came up big a couple lf times but overall I thought he was selfish and out of control too much. I wish we had the depth to bury him on the bench but we dont. I think WC and Owens both are better players by next year

VN Store

Back