Thoughts On Next Season?

VolnJC

We gotta find a leader to replace Josh. Armani, Hubbs, or Punter? none will be the same as Josh but we need someone to step up

Every player showed improvement over the year imo..Hubbs improvement is on the same level as McRae from FR to Soph years

We gotta bulk up and get a JUCO/graduate PG to be successful next year

and most importantly we have to get the NCAA stuff behind us so we can recruit

Reactions: 1 person
I believe we will be slightly better than last year. It will be one more year in the system, and the gym for our returning players. They will have a better understanding of CDT's defense, and should be able to run it better. Hopefully we sign 4 star PF Jackson, and land a true PG too. If we don't land a PG, we're putting a lot of faith into Bond's abilities. I believe Bonds will turn out to be a good player for us, but it still wouldn't hurt to have another true PG on the roster. I think Hubbs will finally step up and be the man, and Punter and Baulkman will be better too. Moore needs to work hard on his mid range shot, and 3 pointers. He could turn out to be the biggest surprise for us next season with a lot of hard work put in during the off season.

Hubbs has to be the man and from what I saw late in the season, I think he's heading in the right direction.

Unless Moore develops an outside shot, he will continue to be very limited and teams will just pack it in when he has the ball. His motor and ability to rebound will still be an asset though.

Punter was a solid contributer this year IMO and is a decent defender. I see no reason he won't continue to do the same next season.

Reese is good for 8 points and 5 boards a game and gives you another option outside.

Baulkman may be the most under the radar player going into next season. I like his game and if he continues to develop, I think he can be a solid contributor.

Mostella has A LOT of work to do.

Carmichael and Owens both have some skills, but need to spend about 12 hours a day eating and hitting the weights. We have got to have more of an inside presence next season.

Can someone please tell me about the current commits/recruits? Haven't followed it.

I see about the same record next season, but hopefully CDT will have some players coming in who can contribute right away.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Hubbs has to be the man and from what I saw late in the season, I think he's heading in the right direction.

Unless Moore develops an outside shot, he will continue to be very limited and teams will just pack it in when he has the ball. His motor and ability to rebound will still be an asset though.

Punter was a solid contributer this year IMO and is a decent defender. I see no reason he won't continue to do the same next season.

Reese is good for 8 points and 5 boards a game and gives you another option outside.

Baulkman may be the most under the radar player going into next season. I like his game and if he continues to develop, I think he can be a solid contributor.

Mostella has A LOT of work to do.

Carmichael and Owens both have some skills, but need to spend about 12 hours a day eating and hitting the weights. We have got to have more of an inside presence next season.

Can someone please tell me about the current commits/recruits? Haven't followed it.

I see about the same record next season, but hopefully CDT will have some players coming in who can contribute right away.

I agree with everything except Punter. He's just not an SEC player.

Reactions: 2 people
The player I'm most excited about next year is surprisingly tariq Owens. I know he's not the popular pick among the majority of VN members, but as the year went on he continued to get better! I think he had 7points and 4rebs last night, but I'm not 100% on that. He has some major hops and has a nice shooters touch at 6'10" which is rare, and he showed steady improvement throughout the year. If he bulks up to at least 220 he could be our starting C and average probably 8ppg and about 8rpg and probably around 2bpg. That would be good production from him, and that's what he's capable of if he fills out into that lanky body of his Lol.

Better get a PG. That's true but crap happens. Need a backup at point as well. Can't go into a football season with just one QB. Same thing at point. A true big would be very helpful as well. In short, we have lots of holes to fill. How DT handle that task will obviously determine out season in '15-16.

I agree with everything except Punter. He's just not an SEC player.

He has to work on the turnover issue. His passing is horrible at times. He's a good defender though. Finished the season with the second most steals on the team I believe. He also has the ability to get hot. He's SEC material, just not SEC starting material for most teams...

He'd be a great option off the bench when we need scoring. Baulkman is the same way. Unfortunately, we don't have the depth to put them in the "Nate Robinson" role in which we put them in for a scoring spark and if they don't produce put them back on the bench. Still, I'm a fan of both Baulkman and Punter. Both should be huge players for us next year.

Last edited:
Better get a PG. That's true but crap happens. Need a backup at point as well. Can't go into a football season with just one QB. Same thing at point. A true big would be very helpful as well. In short, we have lots of holes to fill. How DT handle that task will obviously determine out season in '15-16.

If we land these guys
Trent PG
Gray PG
Then Bonds backs them up I think we'll be alright at PG.

Dude he had double digits in almost every conference game... Enough about him not being an SEC player!

That doesn't mean much. He turns it over way too much, has bad shot selection, and is overrated as a defender. He only plays because we had no depth this year.

Dude he had double digits in almost every conference game... Enough about him not being an SEC player!

Yeah, for sure. Without actually looking, Punter had to be our second leading scorer, I'm sure. He was good for at least 10 points just about every single game. His production should go up a couple points next year too. He is for sure a SEC player. He may not ever be a star, but he belongs on this level.

The way Owens was flying around like a boss last night combined with McGee doing the same I like our chances next year. All players returning left it on the floor every night and will all improve during the off season. It will be a different team that has the capability to be 5-7 games better next year.
They are not going to replace JR. Watching JR do his thing this year has taught every player how to defend and score better. Moving forward with that knowledge and being veterans of CDT's enigma zone will equal improvement. We should be able to run and play lock down defense, that will be an even more exciting and successful season than this year.
The SEC will be better next year and competition will be tougher throughout the league, it looks like Tennessee will be ready.

If we get a legit starting PG, Baulkman gets healthy, Hubbs takes a leap, and one of Mostella/Phillips/Schofield can give you 10-15 solid mpg...none of which is unreasonable, I wouldn't even have Punter is the rotation.

The sunshine pumping in this thread - smdh. Unless some freshmen step up, the Vols will struggle to get 14 wins

Reactions: 3 people
The sunshine pumping in this thread - smdh. Unless some freshmen step up, the Vols will struggle to get 14 wins

The Vols as currently constructed, adding just Gray and Jackson, is not a tourney team nor a 20 win team right now.

I think we'll be better. In my opinion, McGee would have been the difference in a couple games this year. I felt he was growing quite well. I trust CDT to figure out the pg thing.

Unless you replace Josh with some consistent scorers (3 of them), next season will be another struggle.

Fix whatever problems there are with Miller and get him here to run point.

McGhee will also be in the mix inside next season and Moore and Reese will need to step up and take Richardson's leadership position.

The Vols as currently constructed, adding just Gray and Jackson, is not a tourney team nor a 20 win team right now.

Agree. The zone might be better next year with more of his type of players. It's the scoring that worries me.

I'll be here cheering but I have a hard time believing we're going to be even as good as next year much less better. Yes most will have a year experience but so many need a ton of improvement. Replacing Josh is a lot bigger deal than I feel many are acting like.

VN Store

Back