We would have been 5 and 25 with CCM

TNV

I have read multiple negative comments about Donnie Knoxville. I just wanted people to think about this. There isn't a shadow of a doubt that our previous coach would have walked out of this season with one of the worst records in TN basketball history. Along the way he would have alienated many many more fans with his completely boring brand of basketball.

I witnessed a team (assembled in a new york minute and glued together with Elmers) with below average talent and virtually non existent shooting ability coached up into a team that preformed above expectations most of the year. There was never a time with the game on the line that CDT didn't have a play called to give us the win. They never lacked the heart but simply couldn't hit the shots when it counted and that had absolutely nothing to do with CDT. We got a coach thats for sure but he needs to have the Jimmys and Joes that can shoot before any judgement is passed.

Reactions: 27 people
Interesting how people justify this season by throwing out some random win loss if Zo were here. How about 6 and 24 or 20 and 11. That was fun. Why don't we just appreciate the season and the job CDT did. No one knows what Zo's record would have been with his recruits because he wasn't here. He was busy destroying Cals program but that doesn't mean your point has a lick of validity. But keep dwelling now that the season is over. The let me guess what the last guys record is old. We've moved on why don't you try it. You might like it.

Reactions: 9 people
Interesting how people justify this season by throwing out some random win loss if Zo were here. How about 6 and 24 or 20 and 11. That was fun. Why don't we just appreciate the season and the job CDT did. No one knows what Zo's record would have been with his recruits because he wasn't here. He was busy destroying Cals program but that doesn't mean your point has a lick of validity. But keep dwelling now that the season is over. The let me guess what the last guys record is old. We've moved on why don't you try it. You might like it.

Answer me one question...wait Zo did destroy Cal's program with a heck of alot more talent than CDT was left. Which was my original point anyway but who would have thunk that?:cray: #BBZO
not

Reactions: 6 people
Exactly, darkgable. I agree that theres no way to know. I like CDT a lot, but we don't know what would have happened because it would have been a different team...
phil-cofer.jpg

He and Thompson would have been nice to have this season, but CDT's got this. :thumbsup:

Answer me one question...wait Zo did destroy Cal's program with a heck of alot more talent than CDT was left. Which was my original point anyway but who would have thunk that?:cray: #BBZO
not
I'm amused at your supposed record if Zo were here. The tiresome what if game to amuse only you. But I can play that game too. I say if Zo were here with his recruits we have a better record than CDT After another petition and we're on the bubble right now. We win the play in game because the team apparently is pissed off and make a run to the sweet sixteen. Naw, that's not possible.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm amused at your supposed record if Zo were here. The tiresome what if game to amuse only you. But I can play that game too. I say if Zo were here with his recruits we have a better record than CDT After another petition and we're on the bubble right now. We win the play in game because the team apparently is pissed off and make a run to the sweet sixteen. Naw, that's not possible.

You fret too much over an internet click site that asked if Zo was fired, should Hart offer the job to Bruce Pearl...it was easy to click on and easily forgotten...except for people that WANTED it to be nefarious.

Reactions: 4 people
Martin would have had a better record this year. Not because he is a better coach but because he would have had better talent. The team would not have imploded if he had stayed. We would have actually had a point guard! Darius Thompson and AJ Davis were two transfers that would have REALLY helped this team.

Reactions: 5 people
Hey OP, it is the first day of the hoops offseason so you start a thread about the previous coach. I can't wait for you to finish that thread on "I think Fulmer has us declining". Let it go people! CDT coached his rear end off and the players played their jewels off. Ifs and buts... fruit and nuts...Christmas...

Reactions: 2 people
If DT is the greatest coach in the world, then who is responsible for recruiting? Funny how I forgot how DT performed this year, I guess I could ask Bruce, oh wait he is still coaching his team. Pretender vs Contender is where we are.

Reactions: 1 person
I have read multiple negative comments about Donnie Knoxville. I just wanted people to think about this. There isn't a shadow of a doubt that our previous coach would have walked out of this season with one of the worst records in TN basketball history. Along the way he would have alienated many many more fans with his completely boring brand of basketball.

I witnessed a team (assembled in a new york minute and glued together with Elmers) with below average talent and virtually non existent shooting ability coached up into a team that preformed above expectations most of the year. There was never a time with the game on the line that CDT didn't have a play called to give us the win. They never lacked the heart but simply couldn't hit the shots when it counted and that had absolutely nothing to do with CDT. We got a coach thats for sure but he needs to have the Jimmys and Joes that can shoot before any judgement is passed.

The only problem with this, as others have posted, there would've been more players retained from last year, and more recruits kept that would've been better. You can't compare the two at all because Martin would never have had this exact roster. Why can't people understand that?

Martin would have had a better record this year. Not because he is a better coach but because he would have had better talent. The team would not have imploded if he had stayed. We would have actually had a point guard! Darius Thompson and AJ Davis were two transfers that would have REALLY helped this team.

Not to mention we still probably have Stokes.

I prefer Tyndall, but this thread is absurd. Are you forgetting Cuonzo would have had Cofer and the other signees. Thompson playing pg meaning Richardson playing his true position. All kinds of unknowns. Not sure he would have 16 wins but its crazy to say he would have 5. Who knows?

Last edited:
Interesting that Cal is 18-15 and Tennessee is 16-16. Not a whole lot of difference considering the talent each had. Would love to see them meet in the postseason.

If DT is the greatest coach in the world, then who is responsible for recruiting? Funny how I forgot how DT performed this year, I guess I could ask Bruce, oh wait he is still coaching his team. Pretender vs Contender is where we are.

Most laughable thread of the day.

I'm not so sure Martin walked into a golden situation at Cal this season and only won 18-15 with a lot more talent that he would have had at UT.

Martin's track has proven that he's basically an average coach at best even with superior talent he loses games that he should win. He a career NIT coach.

Reactions: 3 people
Well first of all, we would have had a true point guard in Darius Thompson. And AJ Davis' presence could have helped as well.

I think had cuonzo returned we would have been in the same ballpark as we are now

The guy was a good man. Played by the rules and while the results didn't please the fans, I can't understand why UT fans are so intent on belittling the guy. We ran him off. Isn't it time to let it go and wish him success?

Reactions: 6 people
The guy was a good man. Played by the rules and while the results didn't please the fans, I can't understand why UT fans are so intent on belittling the guy. We ran him off. Isn't it time to let it go and wish him success?

They are putting him down so they can feel better about Donnie .

VN Store

Back