The 3rd Vanderbilt Postgame Report (SECt edition)

cncchris33

I was prepared for this to be my final report of the season, and for the better part of 34 minutes, save for some periodic glimpses of hope, it looked like it would be. Within that 34 minutes, I saw a highlight of errors that were a microcosm of the many things that have ailed us this season. Vandy was shooting 50%+, Tennessee couldn't find the open shooters, Tennessee couldn't create offensive looks, Tennessee went long stretches without scoring, a lot of silly fouls (with plenty of phantom calls), etc. I had planned on using this game as a general reflection of the deficiencies of the entire season.

And then...this team went out and totally redeemed themselves in one of the least likely comeback wins I've seen in a long time. Should I be shocked though? This is the 3rd time these two teams have played, and in all three games, the eventual loser has had the lead with under 8 to play, and in 2 of the 3 games, the eventual loser had a double-digit 2nd half lead with roughly 12 minutes or less to play.

The Good...
1. Josh Richardson simply willed this team to win. He started the game shooting 2-9, and finished hitting 6 of his last 7 shots and going 6-6 at the FT line. You don't get more clutch than that, and you can tell he wasn't ready for his career to end on March the 12th. 22 pts, 6 rebs, 2 stls, 3 assts, and only 1 TO while playing 38 minutes. That fatigue will likely catch up to him today, but what a performance.

2. Robert Hubbs hit a huge 3 to start the comback surge that really lifted the team, and then hit another to give Tennessee the lead for good at the 2:30 mark. He really came on in the 2nd half from a scoring perspective. 16 pts, 1 reb, 1 asst, and 0 TOs.

3. Devon Baulkman was key too. He really has a beautiful stroke, probably best on the team in terms of aesthetics. He also attacked the basket and rebounded well. 12 pts, 6 rebs, 1 asst, 2 stls, and 0 TOs. Maybe his best all-around game of the year.

4. Derek Reese had his typical couple WTH plays, but he led the team in rebounding, and did while strapped with 4 fouls from roughly the 15-minute mark of the 2nd half. He also had a clutch 3 in the stretch run when we came back.

5. 9 stls to Vandy's 2, only 6 TOs to Vandy's 12, and 17 pts scored off of TOs to Vandy's 8.

6. If you had told me that we finished tied at 33 on the boards and that we outrebounded Vandy on the offensive boards 11-9, I'd have called you a liar. In fact, I'd have guessed Damian Jones, who is a fantastic player btw, outrebounded us by himself.

7. The decision to switch up the defensive look was genius, and an answer to my personal plea to please ditch the zone when we allowed Vandy to run the exact same play to isolate the corner 3 about 137 times.

The Bad...
1. We let Vandy run the exact same play to isolate the corner 3 about 137 times. We have to learn to rotate quicker and find the open shooter, especially against a good outside shooting team like Vandy. Fortunately, they weren't hot on this particular night, or they'd have run us out of the gym.

2. Not Armani's best performance. From the cheap shot to pick up his 1st foul, he just looked frustrated for the rest of the game. He is very emotiona, which fuels his fire as an undersized PF, but he has to have more composure when things don't go his way early. It affects the entire team.

3. Wade Baldwin is someone I'm going to love to hate the next three years.

4. We got very little from the 3 freshmen, and it is apparent that CDT prefers to simply ride his 6 upperclassmen into the dirt at this point. Can't say I blame him, but that will backfire in a tournament setting. We had 4 guys play over 30 minutes last night, and they come back to face a rested Arkansas team that likes to press and run on a 24-hour turnaround. We will be running purely on adrenaline.

5. Officiating is just bad right now. From D. Jones' foot being entirely out of bounds, to the phantom foul on Reese for going for a loose ball. Even the commmentators seemed miffed by several of the calls.

Bottom line...
With 8 minutes to go, I thought our season was over, and we'd have a losing record for the first time in 10 years. I didn't think this team had enough fight in them to overcome a 12-point deficit with 6:30 to play. That was a defining moment for a team that has been very up and down, and a fitting tribute to their leader, Josh Richardson, despite what happens today. A great adjustment by CDT to switch up the defense when the 2-3 wasn't working. Just an awesome win to beat Vandy like that in Nashville, and live to fight another day. Survive and advance. It's tourney time.

Reactions: 22 people
Nice write up. I agree with the defense being they key to victory, I'm just not really sure what they were playing. It looked like man on the top of the key with two guards, and zone on the 3 post players on baseline extended out to stop the 3 in the corner, but thats only a guess.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks much for the effort you put into the post game anaylyses. They have been very good. I think with the Vandy win that the Vols locked up a CBI invitation. If they win tonight, I think they will lock up the NIT bid. Of course, if they win it all, they will go dancing.

I really hate to say anything bad about the players that left, I know they had personal reasons (Fans) calling for CCM head.

But what could have been is lost forever, inside presence along with a PG that would have helped the team in more ways than we know.

Wish them luck, and thanks for the excitement from 2014 run in the NCAA tournament.

Wow: I know for the regulars on this board, I'm stating the obvious--but we have no bigs at all, do we? I watch highlights throughout the year and I'm not sure I've even seen a post player on the floor. It's seems like we play 5 wingers every game. I think DT can coach--but as always it's about recruiting. Nice to see that Hubbs has come on some this year.

Nice...and thanks. It's almost like you could just paste this analysis and used it throughout this season. Josh...what can you say...heart of a true competitor.

GO VOLS!

If I was a Vandy fan, I wouldn't accept anything less than performances like this from Jones from here on out. How that guy only averages 6 rpg is unbelievable. He showed last night that it's all about effort.

4. Derek Reese had his typical couple WTH plays, but he led the team in rebounding, and did while strapped with 4 fouls from roughly the 15-minute mark of the 2nd half. He also had a clutch 3 in the stretch run when we came back.

:lolabove::lolabove::lolabove:

couldn't have said it better myself

So many things we can take away from this game. Josh was true Josh with his collegiate career on the line. Baulkman stepped up to show that he can be a legit scoring threat. And Reese, Punter, and Hubbs hit huge threes when we had to have them. But my biggest take away was Tyndalls adjustment on D. It was brilliant and it completely derailed Vandy's game plan. Stallings is always revered as such a great "X's and O's" coach but Tyndall embarrassed him. This NCAA crap needs to blow over so he can get the players he needs in his system. The man can coach!

I am watching the replay right now. We are down 59-56. But I am not seeing that great end of game defensive this forum is talking about. At 59-47 Vanderbilt took 4 wide open 3s. Not a soul around them. They just plain missed them. Plus on another trip they missed a wide open layup inside. Kid was just moving too fast to finish, but again not a soul around him. I am excited we won but we didn't choke Vandy off down the stretch. They just went cold.

Update: Now at 59-57 Vandy misses a 5th wide open 3. Nobody around the shooter.

But the offense was great down the stretch. Lots of big 3s.

Great summary as always..Thank you. I look forward to your lucid, well thought out, on point summaries all year..well done. In regards to tonight, the type of run we made at the end of the game can carry a team to peel off a few wins in a row. The back to back does concern (depth fatigue) but I am hoping that the shooting is what sustains..Build an early advantage bomb a bunch of 3's then hang on for the W

Reactions: 2 people
And then...this team went out and totally redeemed themselves in one of the least likely comeback wins I've seen in a long time. Survive and advance. It's tourney time.

Me watching the game yesterday.

Just-When-I-Think-You-Couldnt-Possibly-Be-Any-Dumber-You-Go-and-Do-Something-Like-This..-and-Totally-Redeem-Yourself-In-Dumb-and-Dumber.gif

Reactions: 2 people
I'm not saying Vandy LOST this game vs us winning it. But it was crucial they were uncharacteristically cold from 3 land.

That was their worst shooting night in SEC play.

I'm not saying Vandy LOST this game vs us winning it. But it was crucial they were uncharacteristically cold from 3 land.

Our defense in the 2nd half confused them . Hell, it confused me lol Looked like we were morphing back and forth like an acordian from the zone to man defense . Very effective

Same thing we would run into during Pearl's years when we lived and died by the three. It's not a great style for tournaments. High pressure setting in new and usually larger gyms make it easier for three point shooters to go cold.

Our defense in the 2nd half confused them . Hell, it confused me lol Looked like we were morphing back and forth like an acordian from the zone to man defense . Very effective

I've heard people say it's very similar to the old amoeba defense that UNLV played when they had great teams.

VN Store

Back