Vols Wouldn't Accept CBI Bid

VolnJC

Heard guy on SportsTalk today say that Vols wouldn't accept a bid to the CBI because they would lose money..he also said that even if Vols made it to the championship game it probably wouldn't be enough to make the NIT..not sure I agree but no doubt they didn't exactly finish strong down the stretch

Who is the "guy on sports talk"?

If they make the sec championship game, they are all but a lock for the NIT

Reactions: 6 people
I believe only a very few fans would have any interest in seeing the Vols in the CBI anyway . A good portion feel the same about the NIT.

Reactions: 2 people
im not familiar with the show... Was it a caller? Or a panelist or expert of some kind?

it sounded like he was talking to John Wilkerson so it would have been the afternoon show..could have been Vince Ferraro, he fills in for Hyams sometimes

only thing I could find online

The Vol Colonel ‏@TheVOLColonel · 12h12 hours ago
@TonyBasilio No great revelation here but I've heard there will be no CBI or any other tourney for the Basketball #Vols unless it's the NIT

I agree.

But regardless, as it's been stated many times, the extra practice and PT would benefit this team

he did say that CDT would support any tourney but it was the admin who wouldn't accept anything lower than NIT

Losing money makes sense. But I gotta disagree about if they made the secc not making the nit.

Would not be an uncommon move to decline the CBI. Indiana, Marquette, Maryland, UNLV, Washington, and Ole Miss all declined last year.

Heard guy on SportsTalk today say that Vols wouldn't accept a bid to the CBI because they would lose money..he also said that even if Vols made it to the championship game it probably wouldn't be enough to make the NIT..not sure I agree but no doubt they didn't exactly finish strong down the stretch

If Tennessee wins two SEC Tournament games and finishes 17-16 they will probably be in the NIT.

IMO, any tournament experience would be useful for the young guys. As far as extra practice, I don't think that it's a big deal. They pretty much practice in some form or another year round. It's not the same thing as 95 guys on a football team getting extra practices.

I agree.

But regardless, as it's been stated many times, the extra practice and PT would benefit this team

It's not that big of a deal for one or two more games. If they go on a run and play to NYC then yes, but you're asking this team to win something like 6 out of 7 games all against very good teams. How realistic is that?

People say that the extra practices would help, but I feel like that's more the case with football than basketball. Does 8 extra days (some of which are focused on travel and not even practice) really have any affect on next season? I can't imagine it would.

Sorry, but that's the exact opposite of what Coach Tyndall said. Seems to me that this is the beginning of the propaganda talk by the same folks who didn't want the Vols going to the NIT. Texas A&M, the team that finished 9th in the conference, similar to Tennessee's finish this year, and with an 18-16 record did play the CBI last year. Tennessee will play in it this year if they don't get a couple of wins to get in the NIT, and could well beat the other 15 teams.
:good!:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Sorry, but that's the exact opposite of what Coach Tyndall said. Seems to me that this is the beginning of the propaganda talk by the same folks who didn't want the Vols going to the NIT. Texas A&M, the team that finished 9th in the conference, similar to Tennessee's finish this year, and with an 18-16 record did play the CBI last year. Tennessee will play in it this year if they don't get a couple of wins to get in the NIT, and could well beat the other 15 teams.
:good!:

Contrary to your personal belief, Donnie Tyndall doesn't run the athletic department at the University of Tennessee. If Dave Hart steps in and says the CBI isn't happening because Tennessee will lose money, then it isn't happening. Unless, of course, CDT wants to fit the bill.

Now, I haven't heard Hart explicitly say that the CBI isn't an option, but his authority trumps Tyndall's, regardless of what CDT has said, is saying, or will say about the CBI.

It's not that big of a deal for one or two more games. If they go on a run and play to NYC then yes, but you're asking this team to win something like 6 out of 7 games all against very good teams. How realistic is that?

not very. Might as well pack it in.

Now we r playing in the loser loser tourney.. Geez make sure every little jimmy gets to play or it isn't fair.. Lol

The extra practice in bb is overblown n the players are tired n working their butts off all season. N you know they had a goal of x n the loser loser bracket show isn't one of them..

Acknowledge you stunk it up this season n move on n recruit better players n let the current ones get an education they r going to need it.

Here's the confusion...

1. The school has to pay to play in the CBI. This story is two three years old...

The CBI has a minimum ticket guarantee, the amount a school pays to host a game: The guarantees are $35,000 for first-round games, $50,000 for the quarterfinals and $75,000 per game for the semifinals and the best-of-three finals.

Read more: Despite cost, Pitt happy to host CBI | TribLIVE

2. CDT has said he's generally not for playing in the CBI but would consider making an exception for this team because of the youth saying the extra practice time would be a benefit.

3. Several media sources have said the administration won't go for it, Mike Strange said he had a "source" from the administration that said we would not play in the CBI.

The bottom line, enough people would have to attend the games (assuming we'd host) to cover the cost and maybe the administration feels like that is a losing proposition.

FWIW

Here's the confusion...

1. The school has to pay to play in the CBI. This story is two three years old...

Read more: Despite cost, Pitt happy to host CBI | TribLIVE

2. CDT has said he's generally not for playing in the CBI but would consider making an exception for this team because of the youth saying the extra practice time would be a benefit.

3. Several media sources have said the administration won't go for it, Mike Strange said he had a "source" from the administration that said we would not play in the CBI.

The bottom line, enough people would have to attend the games (assuming we'd host) to cover the cost and maybe the administration feels like that is a losing proposition.

FWIW

If Tennessee goes 17-16 they'll go to the NIT but if they're 16-16 they'll go to the CBI.

IMO, any tournament experience would be useful for the young guys. As far as extra practice, I don't think that it's a big deal. They pretty much practice in some form or another year round. It's not the same thing as 95 guys on a football team getting extra practices.

You have a point, but the actual tournament experience for the young guys could be helpful.

This team ain't making the final round, so move on.
Too many players regressed. Baulkman, Mostella and Carmichael were dissapointing.

VN Store

Back