Vols Basketball

rickyyrs

OK I just watched Belmont beat Murray State for the OVC championship in Nashville. I seen a lot of kids on both team who can shoot lights out. My question is why can't Tennessee get some of those players. I think both of those teams tonight could beat UT.

Reactions: 1 person
Those guys are playing against lesser competition in the OVC. I do hope that UT can sign some deadeye shooters in the future.

Those guys are playing against lesser competition in the OVC. I do hope that UT can sign some deadeye shooters in the future.

Shooters are shooters. I'd take Rembert from ETSU any day of the week. He could out shoot anyone on our team, and he didn't seam to have any problems lighting us up this year. Competition doesn't matter in terms of shooters. They all shoot from the same distance. What matters is size and speed, which is something most smaller school players lack. Still, we need us a Rembert at all cost...

Reactions: 4 people
What you see in shooting is because they have no size. Belmont has only two players over 6'6. Makes me think of how many guys have come into college as highly touted deep shooters, and yet struggled statistically to put the ball in the hoop? A lot. Seems like every year UK gets a couple of them.

OK I just watched Belmont beat Murray State for the OVC championship in Nashville. I seen a lot of kids on both team who can shoot lights out. My question is why can't Tennessee get some of those players. I think both of those teams tonight could beat UT.

It is difficult, if not impossible, to find a good shooter when CDT came on board. Martins recruits abandoned their committments and 99%of decent high school player had already signed . Returning players decided to transfer to another school. We were lucky to sign 8 players a couple who did to make it into school. Belmont coach hs been there for decades and Murray State has had good teams for years.

Now that the NCAA has stuck its smelly nose into CDT's tour at USM, most good recruits can not wait much longer for CDT to find out his punishment,if any. I doubt we will not get the better recruits until late Summer or Fall. The future is fuzzy and hopefully, we will get things rolling in the near future, including a PG and some shooters.

Reactions: 5 people
It is difficult, if not impossible, to find a good shooter when CDT came on board. Martins recruits abandoned their committments and 99%of decent high school player had already signed . Returning players decided to transfer to another school. We were lucky to sign 8 players a couple who did to make it into school. Belmont coach hs been there for decades and Murray State has had good teams for years.

Now that the NCAA has stuck its smelly nose into CDT's tour at USM, most good recruits can not wait much longer for CDT to find out his punishment,if any. I doubt we will not get the better recruits until late Summer or Fall. The future is fuzzy and hopefully, we will get things rolling in the near future, including a PG and some shooters.
I understand. But from what I seen tonight in that game. There are some SEC players on that floor. I just don't understand why Tennessee can not get any of those shooters. The way Belmont shoot 3s they will upset someone again in the NCAA tourney this year.

Reactions: 3 people
I understand. But from what I seen tonight in that game. There are some SEC players on that floor. I just don't understand why Tennessee can not get any of those shooters. The way Belmont shoot 3s they will upset someone again in the NCAA tourney this year.

I don't think many of the Belmont players are guys who can play 20+ minutes in the SEC. Maybe they can play a role as a shooter but not play a lot of minutes. Remember when Buzz Peterson recruited Matthew Dotson and when Pearl was hired, he told him that he wasn't good enough? Dotson went to Belmont.

I don't watch any OVC basketball, but Cameron Payne at Murray State is about the only player I know of that could probably play at the SEC level. Even then, he would have 6'5" or 6'6" guards in his face instead of what he faces in the OVC. Just a different game.

Reactions: 3 people
I don't think many of the Belmont players are guys who can play 20+ minutes in the SEC. Maybe they can play a role as a shooter but not play a lot of minutes. Remember when Buzz Peterson recruited Matthew Dotson and when Pearl was hired, he told him that he wasn't good enough? Dotson went to Belmont.

I don't watch any OVC basketball, but Cameron Payne at Murray State is about the only player I know of that could probably play at the SEC level. Even then, he would have 6'5" or 6'6" guards in his face instead of what he faces in the OVC. Just a different game.

I agree with your overall point, however there's more guys than you think who possess the skills needed to play well at the SEC level, with guards making up the bulk of them. For example, Jalen Riley from ETSU could easily play backup PG here. He's averages 20 PPG at ETSU, and he shoots the ball very well from 3.

When you start looking there's guys out there who could be great bench players. Starters? Probably not...Still, good shooters who have the ability to scorer big points against weaker competition probably possess the ability to play in the SEC. Look at Punter for example. He's a JuCo 20+ PPG scorer, he comes here and becomes our best 3 shooter...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I agree with your overall point, however there's more guys than you think who possess the skills needed to play well at the SEC level, with guards making up the bulk of them. For example, Jalen Riley from ETSU could easily play back up PG here. He's averages 20 PPG at ETSU, and he shoots the ball very well from 3.

When you start looking there's guys out there who could be great bench players. Starters? Probably not...Still, good shooters who have the ability to scorer big points against weaker competition probably possess the ability to play in the SEC. Look at Punter for example. He's a JuCo 20+ PPG scorer, he comes here and becomes our best 3 shooter...

Now, I do think you could find a solid PG at the mid major level. We needed a ball handler to allow Josh to play the 3. Just handle the ball and hit the occasional shot.

I don't doubt that there are mid major players who can play in the SEC. But it just isn't as easy as the OP suggested.

Now, I do think you could find a solid PG at the mid major level. We needed a ball handler to allow Josh to play the 3. Just handle the ball and hit the occasional shot.

I don't doubt that there are mid major players who can play in the SEC. But it just isn't as easy as the OP suggested.

Not easy at all, and like I said most will be guards who can shoot and score. Good post players are a rare commodity, and I'm willing to bet you couldn't find anymore than 6-7 post in the lower end conferences that could make a real impact here. Most post players at ETSU, etc are just really solid athletes with no post game. Wilson is like that for ETSU. He plays PF some for ETSU, but he'd be strictly a 2 guard here. That's the problem you would run in to with most lower conference post players. That's why most small schools play fast, shoot threes, and play solid defense.

Over the years there has been star mid major players who would of been stars on any team, at any college level. Shoot, some of them have go on to be stars in the NBA. They are far and few in between, but they are out there though. There is no doubt in my mind there is probably 30 players at the mid major level right now that could go to any school and be starters. They would be key players and put up good stats too.

Last edited:

Well, time is elusive and when you start with hardly no time to get those guys then you're behind. Think about what DT came into. I believe he's trying but...right now...wait and see. Remember...NCAA issues.

GO VOLS!

Belmont is not far from being a Butler type team under Brad Stevens if they aren't there already. As to why we don't get any of their players...well just look at the makeup of their roster...those type kids are the ones who get lost in the shuffle now...the type kids who only go to places like Belmont and make them consistent winners...of course Rick Byrd has a lot to do with that as well.

This has been my complaint with UT basketball for as long as I can remember. We haven't had a good pure shooter on this team since Lofton, and he's one of the few we have ever had. It seems like more often than not, we recruit guys that are great athletically, but are lacking in basketball skills. Other teams don't seem to have a problem finding shooters, but we always do.

Shooters are shooters. I'd take Rembert from ETSU any day of the week. He could out shoot anyone on our team, and he didn't seam to have any problems lighting us up this year. Competition doesn't matter in terms of shooters. They all shoot from the same distance. What matters is size and speed, which is something most smaller school players lack. Still, we need us a Rembert at all cost...

Yeah shooters are shooters until you have to play defense in the SEC against much bigger players

Yeah shooters are shooters until you have to play defense in the SEC against much bigger players

Well, I saw Lofton light up Durant who had a solid 10 inches on him. He also wasn't getting killed on defense either. Shooters find ways to score. Stephen Curry is the best three shooter in the NBA, and he's what, 6'3"? Yea, shooters find ways to get open and get the ball. That's also what coaches are for...As for defense, we run a zone, again, that's what coaches are for... You find ways to utilize shooters. Every team does it. Plus, it's not like every college basketball player is a prolific scorer. In the end, if you have shooters you have to find ways to get them on the floor.

On top of that, most these shooters are good athletes. Many great three shooters play defense and shoot 3's. The issue comes in finding elite shooters who are also elite scores across the board. That's what makes Curry so special.

Last edited:
Belmont has consistently shot the 3 ball well for years.

I agree with your overall point, however there's more guys than you think who possess the skills needed to play well at the SEC level, with guards making up the bulk of them. For example, Jalen Riley from ETSU could easily play backup PG here. He's averages 20 PPG at ETSU, and he shoots the ball very well from 3.

Our roster is full of players that belong at ETSU or Belmont. ( Baulkman, Punter, Reese, Owens, Mostella,Carmichael)

Reactions: 2 people
Our roster is full of players that belong at ETSU or Belmont. ( Baulkman, Punter, Reese, Owens, Mostella,Carmichael)

True, but this group was recruited when DT had little time to get a class together . It's from here on out that we should judge his recruiting ability.

This is the same ole song and dance. Until we get a recruiter in here nothing and I mean nothing is going to change.

VN Store

Back