It's been a tough season but...

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
I'm not sure exactly what this will accomplish, but I guess this is just some overall thoughts on the season in general. Hopefully it makes sense.

I think strictly coaching wise Tyndall can get the job done. Other than some defensive adjustments, I'm not sure there is anything else he can do at this point and with this team. It's a damn shame Chiles and Woodson didn't work out, along with the injury to McGhee. I think we all agree that it would be a different season. Maybe not a tournament team, but we would definitely have a winning season.

Anyways, I do have to clarify something. I hate zone defense. HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE. It's not that I don't think it could work or anything but it's just a general principal I have. I just don't like zone defense. Tyndall plays it every minute of every game. Just in that sense it drives me crazy. I think there are holes in the zone. Obviously this isn't a perfect roster to work with by any stretch of the imagination. If you have to play Derek Reese (poor kid) at center twenty minutes a game you are most likely going to struggle. Yet it's absolutely frustrating to see all the length we have on the perimeter and see easy, open three point shots going in. I get and agree with the strategy if you are going to play zone: Pack it in, rely on your length on the perimeter, and crash the boards. However, there are problems. We don't rotate well and it is a big problem. Too many times Tennessee bigs are guarding perimeter players and it's a bad mismatch. There is way too many traps that are not effective. It really hurts the rotation on defense. We double post players that shouldn't be doubled. For example, Florida's first bucket came out of a double team of Jacob Kurtz. That is stuff that cannot happen. I assume Tyndall will stick with the zone for his tenure at Tennessee. He definitely needs players, but he is going to have to fix some of those holes in them too.

I don't like the idea of giving up three's to sacrifice for two's as much as we have. If you follow some analytic ideas, a general principal is that three pointers are the most important shots in the game. Quite simply, they are worth more. While I agree with a strategy to pack the defense in the paint with this personnel, I think Tyndall is leaning too much to that right now. Tennessee doubles too much when they don't have to. Tennessee doesn't get out too shooters enough. They lose guys from previous spots relying too much stopping paint drives. I understand the strategy. It's most likely a personnel matter. Hopefully it gets corrected but I don't like the stubbornness to an extent. You are 2-10 in your last twelve games. I think it won't hurt to at least try something different just to see how it goes for one game.

I like the offensive sets. When Donnie came in he said that he runs a Kansas like high-low offense. Obviously he doesn't have the players for it, but I see very little high-low offense. Mostly just pick and rolls and isolations. I do mostly like his offensive sets however. The ball movement is pretty decent, they do a nice job attacking the paint, and usually shooters are open. I think the spacing can be improved some and I believe Tennessee relies too much on the mid range jumper (side note: Kevin Punter, stop with the "I have an open three but I'm going to pump fake and take two dribbles for an eighteen footer that won't work. It's killing me). I would really like to see what a true low post scorer can do in the offense because he runs some really nice sets to get Armani Moore open in the post. I'm not very much worried about the offensive side of the ball, especially with some improvements from individual players in their offensive development.

Overall, I'm fairly confident that Donnie Tyndall can get the job at Tennessee in terms of the X's and O's. Recruiting wise, it's a tough situation because Tyndall's track record isn't strong enough on its own merits and of course the NCAA investigation on him that probably is really killing Tennessee. If Donnie Tyndall has a show cause situation, you have to let him go. Assuming everything turns out well for Tennessee, Tyndall will need to recruit better and fix his zone. Overall, I'm not confident to say Donnie is a championship level coach and it's also silly to assume he won't work out here. He's going to have work on next year's roster but it's too early to worry and fret over it. My hope is Tennessee will finish with a winning season and while I think goals should be higher (and Donnie Tyndall would agree) a winning season would be a positive year for the program.

Go Vols!!!!

Reactions: 2 people
OK zjc...hand over your fan card. You're obviously not a true fan if you question a coach of this University. (Blue font)

I don't dislike the zone per se, but am hoping CDT will mix it up with some man if he's able to recruit some players that can actually match up.

I shudder to think about Carmichael or Owens trying to match up man-to-man with LSU's post players.

He's a great X & O coach, IMO...but how long of a tenure he has here is going to depend on what kind of classes he gets the next couple of years.

This team has nothing left. I hope it's better in 2015-2016 but right now i think it'll most likely be worse. The 2016-2017 season could be a brutal season for CDT with a blazing hot hotseat. That is if the NCAA doesn't deliver the letter of inquiry that will pretty much force UT to fire CDT next season.

Last edited:
I agree that you should at least have different defenses prepared for different situations. I believe the zone can work with better personnel and player work. The 3 point shot can certainly be a game changer, but the only games that really got out of hand were LSU and Florida. Even with the barrage in the 2nd half, if the offense is better, we could have still beaten Vandy. We held Alabama to 56, UGA to 56, Ole Miss to 59, UK to 66, A&M to 68, and Arkansas to 69. I haven't looked it up, but I am betting all of those are below their season averages.

Boeheim has shown that you can play the same defense through the years and win at a championship level as long as your personnel is playing it well. Unfortunately, a lot of coaches are stubborn. Pearl refused to play anything other than a man. Cal only plays a man. Martin would only play man until he dabbled with the 1-3-1 late in his third year. Just the way coaches are.

As many have seen my comments throughout the last couple of days, I have made it known that I believe that Tyndall is a good coach. I totally agree that the NCAA stuff and therefore the recruiting is the big concern. He needs to add some talent, and he needs some offensive talent. I think he can recruit at a decent level because Chris Clarke and Romello White show that, but the NCAA stuff has to get out of the way. I believe he can get it done. JMO.

Last edited:
It's not right to mention Woodson and Chiles together. Chiles was hurt. Woodson practiced dumbassery.

If we even had McKnight. His numbers aren't great, but he is a 6'10" body. Still pisses me off. I have seen some talk about the NCAA, but that was an SEC denial. It was Slive's call. Then, I believe they changed the rule right after the denial because so many were upset.

Reactions: 3 people
@ZJC

I didn't get to watch tonight. I was driving back from the Predators game in Nashville. Was the double on Kurtz on the block or in the short corner? When I met Donnie and his assistants broke the zone down piece by piece for us, they explained that they trap the short corner every single time. Was he in the short corner when he was trapped?

Just trying to offer a bit of insight into the zone's principles as I have had it broken down to me piece by piece by the staff before .

If you read Tyndall's postgame transcipt after the Vandy game, he did switch defenses up. None worked. The fact is he doesn't have the personnel to be that effective right now. There is also a lot of game tape out there so we are being scouted much better. Combine that with an extreme lack of talent and depth then you get what we're getting.

He has won with the zone everywhere he has been. Unless he just bombs on the recruiting trail, I don't see why it won't work here. Read analysts and coaches who watch and know the game. They all say that Tyndall is a very good X's and O's coach. His in game coaching is the best we've had in some time. Most people on here have only known Pearl and Martin. Go back to Mears and go forward. Then ask people in the know about his coaching acumen. He knows what he is doing. He just doesn't have the pieces to fit what he wants to do yet.

Today's game was what I figured we'd get. A mad Fla team that had been embarrassed at Mizzou along with a team that was tired and is probably nearing frustration. The fact is we only have one consistent shooter on this team. Moore plays his ass off, but he's not a good shooter. Punter is probably our second best outside shooter and he is inconsistent along with Hubbs and Reese would be buried on most team's bench. We have to get better talent and depth. Period.

@ZJC

I didn't get to watch tonight. I was driving back from the Predators game in Nashville. Was the double on Kurtz on the block or in the short corner? When I met Donnie and his assistants broke the zone down piece by piece for us, they explained that they trap the short corner every single time. Was he in the short corner when he was trapped?

Just trying to offer a bit of insight into the zone's principles as I have had it broken down to me piece by piece by the staff before .

In the post.

Z nice job!! It's just so hard to tell anything by this year. I will say one thing they seem to be trying to play hard for CDT. Think that will serve him well with more talent!! GBO

Reactions: 1 person
The anti-Donnie Mike Slive didn't help us by disallowing that transfer. Can't think of the kid's name right now.

I don't dislike the zone per se, but am hoping CDT will mix it up with some man if he's able to recruit some players that can actually match up.

I shudder to think about Carmichael or Owens trying to match up man-to-man with LSU's post players.

He's a great X & O coach, IMO...but how long of a tenure he has here is going to depend on what kind of classes he gets the next couple of years.

He played some man against Vandy and still got torched. I don't think this team has enough gas to win another game. RichArdson is not the same player he was in January. We were predicted to finish 13th in the SEC and that's about where we will finish, 11th- 13th. Sad that with our resources and facilities we can't field a decent basketball team.

Let's dispute your claim about the Tyndall Terror Defense that SEC teams have averaged a paltry 63.8 ppg through 16 games against this year with the players we now have short in numbers and size. The beauty of it is it is never figured out by the opposing teams because it constantly morphs. It has worked since Tyndall invented it with 26 and 29 win seasons at Southern Miss the two years prior to coming here. You add the players to fill the gaps especially a post player who can lockup the area under the basket and guards who are not so exhausted they can't stop the dribble penetrations so that help defense is not so necessary and the 3 point shooters can be guarded and you are in an entirely new world. Then you throw in consistent offensive output and the zone, zone, zone defense will do just fine and run circles around the man-to-man. When it gets to that point this defense will win an SEC championship.

We essentially have a roster of 4 people short including 3 post players. Can't get a feel for Tyndall, but if he gets show cause you have to let him go. If not you essentially are giving up next year too. Just not sure who we get, would Dave Hart actually open up the checkbook at that point?

This defense will be fine when we're not playing guards in the post positions.
Match up problems would have been even worse switching off and trying to play man to man.

With the NCAA cloud still lingering , winning seasons could be 2 years away.

I honestly think that if Tyndall is going to get any kind of punishment, we may just need to let him go and move on. We need to recruit big time players or at least guys who can come in and contribute right away, enough of these guys who we have to develop. We are not a mid-major here. Unfortunately that is the kind of guys we are recruiting. A lot of it has to do with the ncaa thing, but if this is already his 2nd/3rd time dealing with the ncaa then we may just need to move on.

I do think he is a good coach, but if he is constantly going to be hounded by the ncaa then we need to move in a different direction, because our recruiting will be hindered big time. When you have a bad recruiting class that sets you back 2-3 years in basketball, so we need to either get this thing cleared up soon, or let him go after the season and actually hire a coach with a clean background with the ncaa.

What a quagmire. No gas, nothing left, coach in the dog house, where do we go from here. This is getting old way to fast. Who in the heck would we get to replace DT anyway? Also, who says Hart won't throw him under the bus at the end of the season. :banghead2::banghead2: :mf_surrender:

GO VOLS!

We essentially have a roster of 4 people short including 3 post players. Can't get a feel for Tyndall, but if he gets show cause you have to let him go. If not you essentially are giving up next year too. Just not sure who we get, would Dave Hart actually open up the checkbook at that point?

If CDT has to be let go then hart should be fired.. U don't waste a hire at any major school as an ad. That shows lack of leadership n should get u fired. Imo

Reactions: 3 people
If CDT has to be let go then hart should be fired.. U don't waste a hire at any major school as an ad. That shows lack of leadership n should get u fired. Imo

Hart had no clue about any investigation. It came after the hire. I criticized Hart for the way he handled the football hire, but you can't blame him for hiring Tyndall. Unless you expect someone to be able to foresee into the future.

Let's dispute your claim about the Tyndall Terror Defense that SEC teams have averaged a paltry 63.8 ppg through 16 games against this year with the players we now have short in numbers and size. The beauty of it is it is never figured out by the opposing teams because it constantly morphs. It has worked since Tyndall invented it with 26 and 29 win seasons at Southern Miss the two years prior to coming here. You add the players to fill the gaps especially a post player who can lockup the area under the basket and guards who are not so exhausted they can't stop the dribble penetrations so that help defense is not so necessary and the 3 point shooters can be guarded and you are in an entirely new world. Then you throw in consistent offensive output and the zone, zone, zone defense will do just fine and run circles around the man-to-man. When it gets to that point this defense will win an SEC championship.

Tennessee is not a good defensive team. We play at a snail' space. Go look at our opponents FG percentage and PPP

I'm glad you posted this number, it's a decent number, an above average number as UT Basketball goes. It's also about average what CDT's teams at Morehead and USM put up.

Last years team put up the best number going all the way back to O'Neil's first season, Overall, 61.7 points allowed, in SEC play 61 flat.

Nobody cared.

In both instances the common denominator is Josh Richardson, so...he's got to get some credit. I don't think either team puts up those numbers without him. That doesn't mean both teams wouldn't have put up good numbers. Both coaches value defense.

Unfortunately, points allowed isn't a bottom line number like wins and losses. I saw a retweet from Cal Basketball that said this year's team is allowing just 4.8 made 3s/game, fewest for Bears since the first year of the 3-pt arc (1986-87).

I bet most Cal fans are unimpressed with that about right now.:)

As it pertains to the stats you posted, points allowed (64) will be overshadowed by the fact that we score (62.8).

Another example, you have to go back to Wade Houston's final season and Kevin O'Neil's first season to find another UT team that has gone to the foul line less than this one. What does that mean?

Nothing. It might mean something if all of Tyndall's teams had done similarly, but they haven't.

VN Store

Back