Congratulations Hopson

The level doesn't matter, 52 points is impressive no matter how you look at it.

Funny enough a lot of the youtube video and NBA places that have highlights have fans asking why their teams won't try and pick him up.

Reactions: 1 person
I have scored 52 points numerous times in Pop A Shot and in video games and trust me I did not even impress myself..LOL...good job Scotty!!!

Isn't Reno the team that runs the Grinnell system?

Congrats Scotty! Awesome accomplishment

The level doesn't matter, 52 points is impressive no matter how you look at it.

Funny enough a lot of the youtube video and NBA places that have highlights have fans asking why their teams won't try and pick him up.

His shot is 1000x better. His elbow is tucked in closer to his body, and he puts good rotation on the ball. He used to put way to much arc on his shots due to him forcing the ball out of his hand. Looked like a rainbow at times. He looks like an NBA shooter now, and that's coming from someone who's been adamant that Hopson would never be an NBA playing player.

Reactions: 2 people
His shot is 1000x better. His elbow is tucked in closer to his body, and he puts good rotation on the ball. He used to put way to much arc on his shots due to him forcing the ball out of his hand. Looked like a rainbow at times. He looks like an NBA shooter now, and that's coming from someone who's been adamant that Hopson would never be an NBA playing player.

Looks like he's also improved his handle.

As far as his shot goes, he looks like a completely different player than when he was at UT. His shot looked smooth and natural in that video. Still as athletic as he always way.

An NBA playing player? So just an NBA player then.

Anyone see what he did the other night? If not, enjoy reading about it and watching highlights...

Video: Former Vol Hopson sets scoring record

He would have benefited by staying his senior season and playing for Martin. However; there were rumors that his grades were not up to par and he may not have been academically eligible his senior season.

Hopson averaged 17ppg his junior season. Were you waiting on him to become the next Jordan?

This. Unfortunately it's glossed over because he didn't cure cancer and solve world hunger while winning 3 NCAA championships.

This. Unfortunately it's glossed over because he didn't cure cancer and solve world hunger while winning 3 NCAA championships.

People seem to forget how good he was at times just because he didn't turn into the next Michael Jordan. Averaging 17 ppg. is no easy feat in any conference, or level.

good for him maaaan......always been a hopson fan. think we can sneak him back on the court in a uni?

Anyone no why he's back in the d league so quick?

He was used as a trading piece multiple times. Probably in the D league because you get looked at by NBA guys far more there, and having the NBA contracts he's probably set for money for a while.

Plus, a 52 point game in the D league will get mentioned by some talking heads, especially local sports writers for the teams that played. No chance he gets anything like that even if he drops 70 in Europe.

Had to zoom in a couple times because it didn't look like Scotty at all. His game looks way more mature than before. His handle and shot have improved a lot. The NBA development league is really developing him.

And he went to the NBA draft then what happened ?

What's your point? You compared him to Hubbs, I asked why that would be such a bad thing (Lord knows we could use a 17ppg scorer next season, especially with Richardson graduating), and now you bring up Hopson leaving early and going undrafted? How is that relevant to your original point?

What's your point? You compared him to Hubbs, I asked why that would be such a bad thing (Lord knows we could use a 17ppg scorer next season, especially with Richardson graduating), and now you bring up Hopson leaving early and going undrafted? How is that relevant to your original point?

That 17 PPG is a little deceiving... Against the best teams in the SEC he averaged around 13 PPG, outside FL. FL couldn't guard him. He scored 20+ on them in the SEC tournament but he also had something like 8-9 points against Arky the game before. Very inconsistent. I will always pull for him, but Hopson should have stayed his senior year. His shot was very inconsistent and he couldn't dribble the ball here. He turned the ball over a ton when he brought it up the floor.

Hopson took a lot of heat as a five star player, but 17 PPG isn't shabby. Problem is, he did it with a very good team. Harris, Goins, Williams, McRae, Golden, and Tatum were all on his team. Fields was a good shot blocker as well.

IMO, not that this is relevant, Josh's 16-17 PPG is much more impressive. You put Josh on the 2011 team with Pearl and he may average 20+ a game. Hopson had loads of potential, but we are just now seeing that talent come full court. He's a night and day different player now. His shot is much better.

That's exactly why I came back here to post. He has obviously done a lot of work there. Said it better than I could have tho.

Hope Scotty gets a solid long term deal in the League. He is gifted enough to produce there IMO.

That 17 PPG is a little deceiving... Against the best teams in the SEC he averaged around 13 PPG, outside FL. FL couldn't guard him. He scored 20+ on them in the SEC tournament but he also had something like 8-9 points against Arky the game before. Very inconsistent. I will always pull for him, but Hopson should have stayed his senior year. His shot was very inconsistent and he couldn't dribble the ball here. He turned the ball over a ton when he brought it up the floor.

Hopson took a lot of heat as a five star player, but 17 PPG isn't shabby. Problem is, he did it with a very good team. Harris, Goins, Williams, McRae, Golden, and Tatum were all on his team. Fields was a good shot blocker as well.

IMO, not that this is relevant, Josh's 16-17 PPG is much more impressive. You put Josh on the 2011 team with Pearl and he may average 20+ a game. Hopson had loads of potential, but we are just now seeing that talent come full court. He's a night and day different player now. His shot is much better.

Qualifying his 17 ppg avg vs a select few opponents but excluding Florida seems pretty picky, and a bit of a stretch.

And of the teammates you mentioned, Golden and McRae hardly played as freshmen that season, and Goins and Williams were offensive role players not counted on for much in the way of scoring. Harris helped ease the scoring pressure off of Hop, Tatum as well to a much lesser degree.

VN Store

Back