it was ok for the football team

Manvol

What's My Age Again?
To make it to "any" bowl game for the practice time and game experience but for the basketball team making it into the NIT is "useless", "waist of time", "who cares." These are a few quotes I've read on here. Obviously the NCAA is the tournament to be in, but any practice and extending the season is good for the team..right?

Reactions: 7 people
To make it to "any" bowl game for the practice time and game experience but for the basketball team making it into the NIT is "useless", "waist of time", "who cares." These are a few quotes I've read on here. Obviously the NCAA is the tournament to be in, but any practice and extending the season is good for the team..right?

Exactly what is the measurement for a waist of time....probably at least a 44 right? :)

Reactions: 5 people
Nobody is saying that the extra practice and games is a bad thing.

In the in the end, it means nothing as far as accomplishments. Just like winning whatever god forsaken bowl game the football team won. It means nothing beyond the development of the players.

Plus, people were saying that making a run in the NIT is better than making the NCAAT, which is where this all got started.

Reactions: 3 people
Plus, people were saying that making a run in the NIT is better than making the NCAAT, which is where this all got started.

This is what seems to fly over everyone's head. I'm 100% sure if we make the NIT we will all cheer the Vols on and hope they win it all, but fans aren't going to pretend like we are super excited that we are there instead of the NCAA.

The publicity and notoriety you get from the NCAA tournament is awesome even if you lose in the first round. You get talked about on every bracket show, and you better believe that every young recruit notices. Some analysts may pick you as an upset. Then you get to play in games that everyone in the nation cares about. You don't take off work to watch the NIT. However, the first weekend of the NCAA is like Christmas all over again for college basketball fans. Maybe your team goes on a miracle run and Josh Richardson becomes a household name. Who knows?

When you're in the NIT your score gets scrolled on the bottom line on ESPN and that's about it. You get a few highlights maybe if it was a good game. There are no NIT selection shows or NIT bracket challenges that people actually care about. Going to the Garden is cool but it's just not the same as the first weekend of the NCAA.

This is what seems to fly over everyone's head. I'm 100% sure if we make the NIT we will all cheer the Vols on and hope they win it all, but fans aren't going to pretend like we are super excited that we are there instead of the NCAA.

The publicity and notoriety you get from the NCAA tournament is awesome even if you lose in the first round. You get talked about on every bracket show, and you better believe that every young recruit notices. Some analysts may pick you as an upset. Then you get to play in games that everyone in the nation cares about. You don't take off work to watch the NIT. However, the first weekend of the NCAA is like Christmas all over again for college basketball fans. Maybe your team goes on a miracle run and Josh Richardson becomes a household name. Who knows?

When you're in the NIT your score gets scrolled on the bottom line on ESPN and that's about it. You get a few highlights maybe if it was a good game. There are no NIT selection shows or NIT bracket challenges that people actually care about. Going to the Garden is cool but it's just not the same as the first weekend of the NCAA.

Very well said!

Better to be in NIT then sitting at home

One good thing about getting to the NIT Championship game is that it is on April 2nd. That is good because there are no games played during the NCAA tournament after the Elite 8 from March 29th until the Final Four starts on April 4th. So the NIT does have that time slot for anyone wanting college hoops.

Reactions: 1 person
Exactly what is the measurement for a waist of time....probably at least a 44 right? :)

UIC_06fF.jpeg

This is what a waist of time looks like.

Not according to the elite basketball fans. This perception is TOTALLY FAN DRIVEN!!!! As some might make you think, it has ZERO to do with what the players think. If the stigma had not been created by the fans for the NIT, you would see the basketball team showing the same excitement for being selected for the NIT after being predicted to finish 13th in the SEC by the media as the football team showed being selected for a 10th tier bowl game (not playoff) not to even consider the excitement if they cut the nets down in Madison Square Garden.
It is totally unfair to the players for those FANS like the ones on here who constantly demean the NIT to create that stigma. Quite frankly, it is sickening. I guess that's the difference between football fans and basketball fans. Most of these FANS never show their face in the football forum.
After not going to a bowl game since 2010, those football fans were overjoyed to beat the Big 10 in a bowl game. Coincidentally, the Big10 won the NIT last year.
The rest of the SEC knows the deal. Tennessee, Florida, and Kentucky played in the NCAA last year. Georgia, LSU, Missouri, and Alabama played in the NIT. Texas A&M played in the College Basketball Invitational.
Our ELITE FANS want Tennessee to join Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Mississippi, Arkansas, and Auburn in the bottom half of the conference that has no post season tournament. Give me a break and don't bother cheering for the football team. You're not wanted there.

I hope they go to the N.I.T and play to win ,not just give up because they didn't go to NCAA as in the past.Would be good for a young team.

Reactions: 4 people
Not according to the elite basketball fans. This perception is TOTALLY FAN DRIVEN!!!! As some might make you think, it has ZERO to do with what the players think. If the stigma had not been created by the fans for the NIT, you would see the basketball team showing the same excitement for being selected for the NIT after being predicted to finish 13th in the SEC by the media as the football team showed being selected for a 10th tier bowl game (not playoff) not to even consider the excitement if they cut the nets down in Madison Square Garden.
It is totally unfair to the players for those FANS like the ones on here who constantly demean the NIT to create that stigma. Quite frankly, it is sickening. I guess that's the difference between football fans and basketball fans. Most of these FANS never show their face in the football forum.
After not going to a bowl game since 2010, those football fans were overjoyed to beat the Big 10 in a bowl game. Coincidentally, the Big10 won the NIT last year.
The rest of the SEC knows the deal. Tennessee, Florida, and Kentucky played in the NCAA last year. Georgia, LSU, Missouri, and Alabama played in the NIT. Texas A&M played in the College Basketball Invitational.
Our ELITE FANS want Tennessee to join Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Mississippi, Arkansas, and Auburn in the bottom half of the conference that has no post season tournament. Give me a break and don't bother cheering for the football team. You're not wanted there.
If we don't win tonight you may want to start researching the CBI.
Just sayin.

Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.

Ok, if this program fails to reach any post season tournament for 3 years, THEN you can make that argument of people bad mouthing the NIT. People hated the NIT after Pearl left. Why? Because it is meaningless, especially after going to 6 straight NCAAs. Just like it is meaningless after going to the Sweet 16. If, after 3 years of going to the Sugar Bowl or playoffs, see how many people are excited about going to the Tax Slayer Bowl. There won't be nearly as many as there were this year.

People hated the NIT after Green too. Why? Because we had just gone to the NCAAT 4 straight times.

Buzz Peterson was canned because, wait for it, he never made the NCAAT. His lone home NIT game in 2003, his best year where we were a bubble NCAAT team, had 3000 show up. And that's announced attendance, probably closer to 1500 actual fans.

And it's not OUR fans who have the negative perception of the NIT; it's the vast majority of ALL college basketball fans.

Ok, if this program fails to reach any post season tournament for 3 years, THEN you can make that argument of people bad mouthing the NIT. People hated the NIT after Pearl left. Why? Because it is meaningless, especially after going to 6 straight NCAAs. Just like it is meaningless after going to the Sweet 16. If, after 3 years of going to the Sugar Bowl or playoffs, see how many people are excited about going to the Tax Slayer Bowl. There won't be nearly as many as there were this year.

I guess he wasn't around when we lost the SEC Championship game in 2001 and instead of the Rose Bowl, we got the Citrus. I remember how much the interest in the Citrus was rock bottom.

One good thing about getting to the NIT Championship game is that it is on April 2nd. That is good because there are no games played during the NCAA tournament after the Elite 8 from March 29th until the Final Four starts on April 4th. So the NIT does have that time slot for anyone wanting college hoops.

I don't think the NIT games are ever played on the same days as the NCAAT

If we don't win tonight you may want to start researching the CBI.
Just sayin.
Been there, done that in the Cal, Auburn, Tenn thread.

College Basketball Invitational

The pay to play scenario ended in 2010. This was when the tourney was establishing itself. The 2014 participants were:
2014 – Fresno State, Hampton, Illinois State, Morehead State, Old Dominion, Oregon State, Penn State, Princeton, Radford, Siena, South Dakota State, Stony Brook, Texas A&M, Tulane, UTEP, Wyoming

VN Store

Back