Coach T Post Season Comments

SeniorDrill

Tyndall said the NIT would be the top goal after the NCAA tournament. Tennessee has a long history with the NIT that includes a Final Four trip to Madison Square Garden in 1985 and home games in both 2012 and 2013.
“I just think any chance our team gets to play additional games as we move forward into next year, these practices and games will help a ton,’’ Tyndall said.

Tyndall hopes Vols have postseason opportunity - News Sentinel Story

Tennessee's postseason possibilities don't stop after the NIT. Although the Vols have never participated in the College Basketball Invitational, which started in 2008, it could be an option this season. With the NIT awarding automatic bids to regular season conference champions that miss the NCAA Tournament, spots in that event are hard to come by for teams that don't win their conference, thus dropping the Vols down a level.

Tyndall open to any postseason bid for Volunteers

Last edited:
With some of the pundits predicting as many as six Big Dance bids for the SEC this March, it's a shame that the chance for the Vols to be one of the six is looking very dim right now.

What is he supposed to say? He isn't going to publicly say they don't want to go to the NIT.

Reactions: 7 people
The NIT would be great for the team. They were predicted to be a bottom feeder this year. I know they probably are satisfied but I enjoy watching them scrap it out.

I have no agenda. I think Tyndall is a good coach. What I said wasn't wrong, though.

Oh I know you don't. I was saying sd's agenda to shove it in faces was clear,but he didn't say anything out of line to push it in your face in the post. If that makes any sense

NIT not the ultimate goal but I agree with Tyndall that any post season play is good for the guys.

Look, he knows that without a deeper bench the starters was going to wear down at the end of the year. Its been great to see these kids play their heart out, but the facts of a short bench just like out football team came into play 2013. Donnie the man that will take UT to the promise tournament, time is all he needs.

While the NCAA is always the goal, I wonder how many Vol fans would have jumped at the opportunity to play in the NIT or even the CBIT prior to the season starting? Or beat a ranked team on the road? I really like this team and the job CDT has done. They give their All for Tennessee and that is all I can ask.

While the NCCAT is every teams ultimate goal, participating in any post season tournament well be extremely helpful for our team. Being able to play extra games, and having more practice time doesn't hurt anything. Surely at the very worst we will be invited to the CBIT.

Edit: I wish the second word in CBIT started with a L.

Last edited:
Tbh this team will need all the additional games it can get to be better for next year and all the players need to participate in as many individual different offseason teams they can

Well SD did say it helps with recruiting. He just left out the part that 4 and 5* are not even thinking about the NIT
Absolutely ludicrous! To even think that elite basketball players would not want to play basketball at the University of Tennessee with its facilities, educational opportunities, etc. shows just how much you folks really think about this school. Like I said, "faux" fans! There was a minor problem last year since all the 4* and 5* were long gone on April 22 when we got our new coach. But some people can't see their hand in front of their face and blame that on Donnie Tyndall's recruiting. What you want to bet we land a 4* THIS YEAR? This will be Donnie Tyndall's first real recruiting class and I predict, as usual, it will be outstanding. We'll see, won't we, just like we've seen on all the predictions I've made such as how important the NIT is to the development of this team or even the CBI. Forest for the trees syndrome prevails in VolNation!

I'm pretty sure he said he prefers the NIT over the NCAA
Why do you resort to lying? You know that is not true. Let me give you a little lesson from Butch Jones. When he was asked after the Vanderbilt game how valuable the extra time with his team would be going to a bowl game, this was his response:
"Invaluable, for many reasons, to teach, to continue to progress the individuals that are red shirted, but also to get in the strength and conditioning room, to continue to be together to build our family environment, and the ability to develop individually will be extremely beneficial for our football program. And to just illustrate staying the course, we know we went through a stretch at the beginning of this year, and we knew if we would just stay the course, and let all the clutter and outside distractions get in, to focus on the process everyday of being a better football team, everything would take care of itself."
It is exactly the same with the basketball team and a post season tournament whether it be the NCAA, the NIT, or the CBI.

VN Store

Back