Willie c feature

Has miles to go to become a solid role player, let alone a great one. He needs a ton of skill work and the game has to slow down for him at some point.

Has miles to go to become a solid role player, let alone a great one. He needs a ton of skill work and the game has to slow down for him at some point.
Can't that be said about freshmen in general, of most sports? I mean you heard Tyndall himself say they would have redshirted Willie but out necessity, they had to play him.

Can't that be said about freshmen in general, of most sports? I mean you heard Tyndall himself say they would have redshirted Willie but out necessity, they had to play him.

No....typically u hope a freshman comes in miles ahead of where willie is right now.....Mostella is more like what u r referring too.....The guy is oozing with skill but the game just needs to slow down for him to be great.

No....typically u hope a freshman comes in miles ahead of where willie is right now.....Mostella is more like what u r referring too.....The guy is oozing with skill but the game just needs to slow down for him to be great.

To be fair,Carmichael has skill he just needs experience and about 12 trips to golden corral,same with Tariq

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I'd say Carmichael is contributing more than Mostella at this point in SEC play wouldn't you say? EDIT: You expected an unrated 3* to come in and immediately contribute??

I'd say Dallas hit it on the nose. If Carmichael can get some more weight on, I don't think he'll pick up nearly as many fouls. You often see WC3 get overpowered and he tries to block their shot resulting in a foul.

Last edited:
From the video, it sounds like his growth spurt hurt came late. If he had played most of his high school years at or near his current size, I would maybe be a little more disappointed at his production this year. Cause he would have likely been playing AAU against other quality bigs. But Willie redshirts on 93% of d1 teams this yr. IMO

Last edited:
Here's the thing, you would ideally not have to be starting or even playing an unranked 3* major minutes. You look at Josh Richardson, he was a top 150 3*, year 1 he only played 16mpg, year 2 he jumped to 30mpg and has increased from there.

Armani Moore, unranked 3*, year 1 12mpg, year 2 13mpg, year 3 a huge increase to 30mpg...

The type of freshman who you want to be starting and or playing 20+mpg are typically your 5* or high 4* players, and right now we aren't getting those kinds of guys. Ideally Willie and Tariq probably redshirted this season, McGhee was more physically ready, but as Tyndall said out of necessity both had to play.

Hopefully going forward we aren't forced to throw guys into the fire and they have time to grow and improve, with our depth on the wing I think you'll see Schofield and Phillips get more time to develop which should help them long term.

Reactions: 2 people
I'd say Carmichael is contributing more than Mostella at this point in SEC play wouldn't you say? EDIT: You expected an unrated 3* to come in and immediately contribute??

I'd say Dallas hit it on the nose. If Carmichael can get some more weight on, I don't think he'll pick up nearly as many fouls. You often see WC3 get overpowered and he tries to block their shot resulting in a foul.

I think he fits the system well but this is why u don't recruit unrated 3*.....he star rating from high school means nothing once we hit the court. Im not looking at production from this yr but what their potential is.....U can watch Mostella play and tell he has elite skills. Its kind of like Mcraes freshman numbers were not much different than Reese but u could tell right away that Mcrae was an elite talent while Reese was marginal at best. Willie can definitely grow and develop as a player but more times than not that growth curve is too much.

Here's the thing, you would ideally not have to be starting or even playing an unranked 3* major minutes. You look at Josh Richardson, he was a top 150 3*, year 1 he only played 16mpg, year 2 he jumped to 30mpg and has increased from there.

Armani Moore, unranked 3*, year 1 12mpg, year 2 13mpg, year 3 a huge increase to 30mpg...

The type of freshman who you want to be starting and or playing 20+mpg are typically your 5* or high 4* players, and right now we aren't getting those kinds of guys. Ideally Willie and Tariq probably redshirted this season, McGhee was more physically ready, but as Tyndall said out of necessity both had to play.

Hopefully going forward we aren't forced to throw guys into the fire and they have time to grow and improve, with our depth on the wing I think you'll see Schofield and Phillips get more time to develop which should help them long term.

This is a great post.

I think he fits the system well but this is why u don't recruit unrated 3*.....he star rating from high school means nothing once we hit the court. Im not looking at production from this yr but what their potential is.....U can watch Mostella play and tell he has elite skills. Its kind of like Mcraes freshman numbers were not much different than Reese but u could tell right away that Mcrae was an elite talent while Reese was marginal at best. Willie can definitely grow and develop as a player but more times than not that growth curve is too much.
How doesn't he fit the system? Offensively, he can run the floor, get rebounds and get put back baskets. Defensively, if we had a legitimate big man center, Carmichael wouldn't be forced to guard the opposing teams best big man. I've said it before, but Carmichael is a work a holic, which sometimes can out work talent. I bet we'll continue to see Carmichael improve his game - including his mid range jumper, he's tried a few this year and only hit one or two.

If they are looking at Schofield and Phillips as wings, they should not have to play a lot next year. But if they are looking at Schofield as a 4 and Phillips as PG, they'll have to play a good bit next year.

It would be a good sign if Schofield came in and instantly competed for a PF/4 spot.

"Most freshman" is such a broad term, but I think a lot of freshmen who come in and play 16 minutes/gm contribute a lot more. WC is no further along riggt now than he was in November IMO. Mostella, Owens, and McGhee all have shown more promise, and all average(d) less mpg, though were McGhee healthy, I doubt Carmichael plays much at all, if any.

He is way behind in terms of skill development, and the mental aspect of the game has not slowed down for him yet. In fact, his best plays happen when he just reacts without thinking at all.

To Dallas' point, as I said, he has miles and miles to go to become a "great player" (his words). With natural progression and work, I think he can develop into about what an average SEC role player is as a junior and senior. Anything beyond that will require an accelerated learning curve and major improvement in both the physical and mental aspects of the game.

Reactions: 1 person
It would be a good sign if Schofield came in and instantly competed for a PF/4 spot.

Admiral is 6-5, 210-220. I hope we transition out of playing 6-5 guys at PF in the future. He is much more suited for the SF position IMO. He is a decent ball-handler with a pretty good shot.

Last edited:

Remind you of another UT scenario?

GO VOLS!

were McGhee healthy, I doubt Carmichael plays much at all, if any.

This.

Woodson is a head case, Chiles can't stay healthy, and McGhee breaks a foot. Don't know about Chiles but I bet we're at least a couple games better with either of the big guys.

Admiral is 6-5, 210-220. I hope we transition out of playing 6-5 guys at PF in the future. He is much more suited for the SF position IMO. He is a decent ball-handler with a pretty good shot.

Schofield may be 6-5, but he looks a lot heavier than 210-220 to me. I'm betting he plays at 240. I see him being more like Maymon - albeit with a better shot.

Schofield may be 6-5, but he looks a lot heavier than 210-220 to me. I'm betting he plays at 240. I see him being more like Maymon - albeit with a better shot.

Even then, hes 2" shorter than Maymon. I have seen him listed from 210-220. Even if he's 6-5 & 230, that is Armani-sized (+/- a few pounds), and I think we all agree that PF isn't his ideal position for his height.

"Most freshman" is such a broad term, but I think a lot of freshmen who come in and play 16 minutes/gm contribute a lot more. WC is no further along riggt now than he was in November IMO. Mostella, Owens, and McGhee all have shown more promise, and all average(d) less mpg, though were McGhee healthy, I doubt Carmichael plays much at all, if any.

He is way behind in terms of skill development, and the mental aspect of the game has not slowed down for him yet. In fact, his best plays happen when he just reacts without thinking at all.

To Dallas' point, as I said, he has miles and miles to go to become a "great player" (his words). With natural progression and work, I think he can develop into about what an average SEC role player is as a junior and senior. Anything beyond that will require an accelerated learning curve and major improvement in both the physical and mental aspects of the game.
Probably should've said key player instead of great lol

No offense, but what skills have you seen?

Fouling...jk but he's had a couple moments like that block against Texas southern and a couple offensive put backs and he scored twice on uk on a put back I think, he has good timing when jumping he just gets boxed out easily and gets called for over the back

VN Store

Back