The Ole Miss Postgame Report

cncchris33

Another game where you are left wondering where Tennessee lost based on final stats. We shoot better from the field, from 3-point line, near even from FT line, we decidedly win the rebound battle, have more assists, points in the paint, etc, yet find a way to lose 59-57.

The Good...
1. Armani Moore, sick or not, filled the statsheet once again. 15 pts, 9 rebs, 5 assts, 2 blks, 2 stls, and 3 TOs.

2. Kevin Punter has about the most technically flawed shot on the team, but when he gets hot, he gets hot. 12 pts on 4-10 shooting (4-8 from 3), 2 rebs, 3 assts, and 3 TOs.

3. Willie had his second straight decent outing. 4 pts on 2-2 shooting, 2 rebs, 1 asst, and 2 TOs. More importantly, only 1 foul in 19 minutes. That has to be a personal best.

4. JRich was again solid. 13 pts, 6 rebs, 4 assts, 1 blk, and 3 TOs.

5. We dominated the boards 37-28.

6. I thought we did well in defending without fouling. Better than most nights. We commit only 12 for the game, and stayed in it by not giving away free points at the FT line by putting OM in the bonus early in either half.

The Bad...
1. If you are looking for a reason that we lost...turnovers. We commit 13 and only force 6. Very un-Tennessee like this season, and it cost them this game, which may have been the most winnable of the remaining 3 road games on the schedule.

2. In that same vein, points off TOs heavily slanted in OM's favor, 14-5.

3. We shot too many 3s IMO. We don't really shoot well enough to justify shooting 23 3s in a game where we actually match up well from a size perspective. 39% is a respectable number on that many attempts, but I felt we settled for shots when we could have gotten better looks in the paint by driving or getting fouled.

4. Stefan Moody is really good, and he has no conscience from anywhere near the 3-pt line. That being said, I'm surprised that we allowed a 5-10 guard to get up 11 shots from out there. This was a game where I would have extended the zone to not allow him a clean look within 25 feet. Ole Miss is guard-oriented and not tall in the post, so we should have been able to neutralize them by extending the zone, and we failed to do that.

5. Baulkman and Mostella were just absent offensively. A collective 1-7 from the field. They did total 6 rebs, but gave us next to nothing from a scoring standpoint off the bench.

6. Reese was fairly quiet too. Only 5 pts and 3 rebs in 24 minutes. Not sure why, but Carmichael got more of his minutes in this game, perhaps because he played without fouling and was simply able to play more minutes as a result.

7. I was disappointed to see Tariq only get 3 minutes.

Bottom line...
You have to value the basketball when you are a team that limits possessions with your defense. We can't only force 6 TOs, and then give it away 13 times ourselves. That will get you beat more often than not. I would have liked to seen JRich initiate contact with Moody as time expired on his final shot. Moody jumped and tried to block it and JRich allowed him to clear before shooting. Coukd have resulted in 2 FTs to tie the game instead of a decent look that went halfway down and rimmed out. Oh well, hindsight is always 50-50 according to Cam Newton.

Reactions: 3 people
The bad … we lost. Josh's shot went in the cylinderbut pin balled out, damn the luck ! :realmad:

Given our luck with refs, I'm not sure Josh would have gotten a foul called.

Given our luck with refs, I'm not sure Josh would have gotten a foul called.

He might not have, but worth the try IMO, especially since he jumped across his path. I'm not beating him up since it was a split-second decision and he still got a good look.

2-9 since 1/24.

I hope the team can still hold on to make the SEC Tournament and the NIT. The lack of sound fundamentals and good decision making doomed an NCAA Tournament bid. Sad really.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks Chris!! Tough lost for sure!! Man we are so close to being decent team, with a little luck!!! Hope they can make the NIT and make some noise, or win the SEC Tourney!!! LOL Tall order I know!! GBO

2-9 since 1/24.

I hope the team can still hold on to make the SEC Tournament and the NIT. The lack of sound fundamentals and good decision making doomed an NCAA Tournament bid. Sad really.

Think they are a lock for the SEC tournament. Not 100% sure though.

Reactions: 2 people
2-9 since 1/24.

I would also add a lack of really good talent, experience, and depth. Armani Moore, our 2nd best player right now, wouldn't even start for roughly half of the other 13 SEC teams, and he plays out of position for us. A backloaded schedule in a better than usual SEC always made an NCAA tournament bid a faint hope, and I'm not sure that better execution here and there would overcome the overall lack of talent, experience, and depth to secure one. Realistically, we were/are playing for a winning record.

I would also add a lack of really good talent, experience, and depth. Armani Moore, our 2nd best player right now, wouldn't even start for roughly half of the other 13 SEC teams, and he plays out of position for us. A backloaded schedule in a better than usual SEC always made an NCAA tournament bid a faint hope, and I'm not sure that better execution here and there would overcome the overall lack of talent, experience, and depth to secure one. Realistically, we were/are playing for a winning record.

I used to be in the group that thought this as well, but through this season I have changed that, I think the 4 is definitely what suits Armani best. If Armani was playing the 3 this season I think you'd see less PPG and RPG from him, he doesn't have the outside shot to be a legitimate threat, and his quickness is his biggest strength which would likely be neutralized by being guarded by opposing 3's instead of 4's.

Jmo

2-9 since 1/24.

This team has probably already over achieved based on their talent, or lack thereof. Pretty amazing they have won 14 games with smoke and mirrors and found a way to beat some pretty decent teams in Butler and Arkansas. An NIT bid would be quite an accomplishment. Will need at least 3 more wins to make it IMO. ( this includes SEC tourney)

5. Baulkman and Mostella were just absent offensively. A collective 1-7 from the field. They did total 6 rebs, but gave us next to nothing from a scoring standpoint off the bench.

Hubbs was a no show too!

Surprised to see you post that stat, games that are that close typically say a lot about a coaches ability.

Not surprising that you'd say that.

I believe that is in SEC play. 5 of those 7 (by my count) are likely NCAA Tournament teams. Games that we probably shouldn't have been in to begin with. Also, Tyndall has got our guys some great looks at the end of games to win it and the shots just didn't fall.

In my opinion we have a coach who can put us in position to win. We just need a few better players, more experience and a full roster.

Honestly, I think we were one or two decent players away from a twenty win season this year.

I believe that is in SEC play. 5 of those 7 (by my count) are likely NCAA Tournament teams. Games that we probably shouldn't have been in to begin with. Also, Tyndall has got our guys some great looks at the end of games to win it and the shots just didn't fall.

In my opinion we have a coach who can put us in position to win. We just need a few better players, more experience and a full roster.

Honestly, I think we were one or two decent players away from a twenty win season this year.

We were one good post away from a 20 win season

Josh had a solid game but we need more from him as "the player". Its what expected. Hubbs needs to keep emerging as well. Can't afford to have "no shows" from him. I would like to see more scoring consistency from baulkman and mostella off the bench.

I used to be in the group that thought this as well, but through this season I have changed that, I think the 4 is definitely what suits Armani best. If Armani was playing the 3 this season I think you'd see less PPG and RPG from him, he doesn't have the outside shot to be a legitimate threat, and his quickness is his biggest strength which would likely be neutralized by being guarded by opposing 3's instead of 4's.

Jmo

Poor wording on my part. I meant to say that he is not an ideal PF. It may be his best position because of his individual abilities, but he is not the ideal player for the PF position.

And not surprising you would take the opposite stance, to each their own.

Just so I'm clear....You're saying that Tyndall is why we lose close games? And we should have a better record? Is that what you're saying?

Not at all, I'm saying that stat is a commonly used stat to support ones argument as to whether a coach is good or not. In fact, I recall that stat being used multiple times about our previous coach to help support the stance that he was a bad coach, it's just funny to me how hypocritical some people are, and how many double standards exist.

Reactions: 2 people
Not at all, I'm saying that stat is a commonly used stat to support ones argument as to whether a coach is good or not. In fact, I recall that stat being used multiple times about our previous coach to help support the stance that he was a bad coach, it's just funny to me how hypocritical some people are, and how many double standards exist.

It's all about context.

1. Are you losing close games to a bunch of terrible teams?

2. Is your head coach able to draw up a play to give your team a chance to win?

3. How do you use your timeouts? Do you use them at all or do you take most of them home with you?

4. Is your team overachieving just to be in the games?

5. Are you losing them because you just need another player or two? Or is it because of coaching? Point guards are big in close game situations.

VN Store

Back