Post Weight Gain

SeniorDrill

We all seem to be counting on the Vols' post players gaining weight and muscle to compete in the SEC next year. I was wondering if any of you could remember any past Tennessee players who came in light and became dominant players in the paint by gaining a lot of weight and muscle. Also, some of you may have knowledge of how easy or how hard this is to do with the proper techniques.
I did a little research to see how much they had gained from their arrival on campus until now. The initial weights were from 2014 recruiting websites. Here is what I found. Tariq Owens came in at 190 and now weighs 205 according to the UT website. Willie Carmichael came in at 205 and now shows at 210. Jabari McGhee came in at 195 and now weights 210. I realize this may or may not be accurate but would like to know if all of these players can get to 225-230?

Butch's peanut butter. The football side knows how to do it, so I think they can figure it out.

We need Owens to get to at least 230 next year and if he can refine his raw offensive skills, he might be pretty good. McGhee will be good as well.

I'd like to see our players put on about 20-30 pounds of talent, no matter what their weight might be.

I'd like to see our players put on about 20-30 pounds of talent, no matter what their weight might be.

A talent is something we do naturally. It is something that we do not think about we just do it. You can't put on talent. You either have it or you don't.

On the other hand a skill is something that we learn. Skills are developed. You can be trained to learn a skill. You get better as you practice that skill.

You can master a skill such that it appears to be a talent. Our team may not be as talented as others but they had something that coach needed and wanted or he wouldn't have offered them. It may be raw, but a good coach will developed their raw skills.

In checking freshmen stats of past players I can tell that they had some problems early in their careers as well. Jarnell Stokes had 78 personal fouls and 68 turnovers in his freshman year, but look where he is today. He got so good he dropped TN like a hot potato and ran to the NBA draft. Surely he worked hard and had help developing his skill set to get to this point. IJS....

IMO, This team will develop into a team that Tennessee will be proud of instead of one that their fans poke fun at.

Last edited:
A talent is something we do naturally. It is something that we do not think about we just do it. You can't put on talent. You either have it or you don't.

On the other hand a skill is something that we learn. Skills are developed. You can be trained to learn a skill. You get better as you practice that skill.

You can master a skill such that it appears to be a talent. Our team may not be as talented as others but they had something that coach needed and wanted or he wouldn't have offered them. It may be raw, but a good coach will developed their raw skills.

In checking freshmen stats of past players I can tell that they had some problems early in their careers as well. Jarnell Stokes had 78 personal fouls and 68 turnovers in his freshman year, but look where he is today. He got so good he dropped TN like a hot potato and ran to the NBA draft. Surely he worked hard and had help developing his skill set to get to this point. IJS....

IMO, This team will develop into a team that Tennessee will be proud of instead of one that their fans poke fun at.

Maybe they can put on 20-30 lbs of skill then.

Reactions: 2 people
During one game, the commentators were talking about Tariq needing to gain weight, and one of them quoted (paraphrasing) CDT as saying "Tariq needs to gain about 30 lbs, but we may only be able to get 15 more on him. He doesn't have a wide shoulder frame." TIFWIW

During one game, the commentators were talking about Tariq needing to gain weight, and one of them quoted (paraphrasing) CDT as saying "Tariq needs to gain about 30 lbs, but we may only be able to get 15 more on him. He doesn't have a wide shoulder frame." TIFWIW
That would put him at 220. Derrick Reese is listed as 6'8", 220. I suppose that would be a nice target for both him and Jabari. Willie might be able to get to 225 since he came in at 205.

That would put him at 220. Derrick Reese is listed as 6'8", 220. I suppose that would be a nice target for both him and Jabari. Willie might be able to get to 225 since he came in at 205.

It's not about what you come in at. It's about your frame. Tariq is very very thin (captain obvious here) but also has a narrow frame. He may not be able to add as much as he needs to. Willie and Jabari seem like they have the frames to add on what they need to.

It's all about the gains bro!!!! Willie needs to gain about 25 more pounds so he can foul people harder since that's about all he does anyways.

It's all about the gains bro!!!! Willie needs to gain about 25 more pounds so he can foul people harder since that's about all he does anyways.

Willie is still new to the game and it's good thay he fouls a lot cause with his improvements in the off season he will recognize that he doesn't react so slow which causing him to foul.

We all seem to be counting on the Vols' post players gaining weight and muscle to compete in the SEC next year. I was wondering if any of you could remember any past Tennessee players who came in light and became dominant players in the paint by gaining a lot of weight and muscle.

Isaiah Victor and Marcus Haislip were both extra skinny dudes who gained enough weight to compete in the post. I'm not sure what Haislip did, but he went from benching 185 to 350 in one off season. It was unbelievable. Turned himself from obscure Spring signee into a lottery pick.

Isaiah Victor and Marcus Haislip were both extra skinny dudes who gained enough weight to compete in the post. I'm not sure what Haislip did, but he went from benching 185 to 350 in one off season. It was unbelievable. Turned himself from obscure Spring signee into a lottery pick.

Nice picks. After a little research, I found that both players entered the NBA draft and were on RTT's All Decade Team as post players. Victor played at 6'9", 220 lbs, an attainable goal for Owens.
Haislip didn't play much as a freshman and sophomore but exploded in his junior year gaining more than 20 pounds from his freshman year and playing at 6'10", 230 lbs. He averaged 17 points and 7 rebounds. So 230 is an attainable goal for Carmichael.
I think that Jabari may come in at 220-225.

These are the two I thought of as well. Haislip was heavily pursued in that spring period, and I believe even had UK looking at him. IIRC, he was a late signee because he was a borderline qualifier. He improved every year, but the SO to Jr transition with him was unreal.

Let's see if anybody catches the references "so you wanna make some gains? That's good man! That's real good!"

We all seem to be counting on the Vols' post players gaining weight and muscle to compete in the SEC next year. I was wondering if any of you could remember any past Tennessee players who came in light and became dominant players in the paint by gaining a lot of weight and muscle. Also, some of you may have knowledge of how easy or how hard this is to do with the proper techniques.
I did a little research to see how much they had gained from their arrival on campus until now. The initial weights were from 2014 recruiting websites. Here is what I found. Tariq Owens came in at 190 and now weighs 205 according to the UT website. Willie Carmichael came in at 205 and now shows at 210. Jabari McGhee came in at 195 and now weights 210. I realize this may or may not be accurate but would like to know if all of these players can get to 225-230?
I think Tariq will get to around 220 by next basketball season. Carmichael was never 205 when he got here was more like 190 himself expect he can get to 220 as well. I think Jabari will progress more than the other two expect to see him at a very strong 225 next season. I don't think either of them will reach their full development by next season that will come the next season. I do think all three will be able to compete in the SEC next season at a level much higher than we saw this season.

Reactions: 2 people
Here are 2 former Tennessee post players that controlled the paint. I know your qustion is about weight gain from enrolling through their career but both these players controlled and patrolled the paint. I couldnt find much college footage but these 2 clips are identical to what they did at the collegiate level.

2 OF MY FAVORITES

Marcus Haislip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aXqwUXy2cw

Ron Slay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogd0RXrx-wI

VN Store

Back