76ers HC on Jordan McRae

iKrager

Someone asked how Jordan was doing in Australia and after a quick "Google news search" I found an article talking about Jordan McRae's NBL career and Brett Brown's thoughts on McRae.

PS Brett Brown is the 76ers head coach.

McRae had played four years at the University of Tennessee and averaged 18.7 points as a senior.

He did not play on the Sixers' Orlando summer league team. He did lead the Sixers' Las Vegas summer league squad in scoring with 21.0 points per game, playing in four games.

The 6-foot-6 scoring guard was a welcome addition to a team looking to build on a 19-win season.

But McRae never joined the Sixers. Prior to training camp, he signed a contract to play professionally in Australia.

Four and a half months later, McRae is the leading scorer of the NBL, averaging 21.8 points per games playing for Melbourne United, a team near and dear to Brett Brown.

"[McRae] plays in a city that I lived in for 12 years and for the team I started my coaching career," Brown said. "I know his situation intimately."

Brown spent 14 years coaching in Australia. His familiarity with the league is a bonus. The NBL is not the NBA, nor does the league offer the competition found in Europe, but the Aussies are tough.

Melbourne United plays its last regular season game on Feb. 22 but is bound for the playoffs. The Sixers have a roster spot available and could add McRae if they so choose when his NBL season ends.

"We are always paying attention to Jordan," Brown said. "He is in a good situation. He is playing a lot of minutes. He continues to score. He is always in the back of our minds. What that means with what we intend to do with him now, that doesn't change too much. We are aware of his success. We are aware of the successes of all our guys overseas."

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 people
As a 76ers fan, I can't wait til Jordy makes his Wells Fargo Center debut as I'll be there in all my Big Orange gear!!! Love the guy, he's one of my Top 10 all-time favorite Vols!

As a 76ers fan, I can't wait til Jordy makes his Wells Fargo Center debut as I'll be there in all my Big Orange gear!!! Love the guy, he's one of my Top 10 all-time favorite Vols!

I'm a huge sixers fan too but I'm hoping they save him till next yr and can find him a league to keep improving right now

I'm a huge sixers fan too but I'm hoping they save him till next yr and can find him a league to keep improving right now

Selfishly, I'd love to see him get some minutes in the D-League as I live in Delaware...just minutes from where the 87ers play ball at UD...

Selfishly, I'd love to see him get some minutes in the D-League as I live in Delaware...just minutes from where the 87ers play ball at UD...

This is the first time in a long time I have felt the sixers were headed in the right direction....I'm going to make it to a sixers game when embiid and McRae start playing

Yeah they are giving him the Noel treatment....holding him out for next season....just skill work on the side

Thanks. Thats probably a good idea. He's still so young and there's no reason to rush a knee surgery. He might even put on a few lbs sitten around. lol

With the sixers trading their best player (MCW), I think that plays well for JMac future with Philly the next couple years.

76ers don't care about anything they have right now other than a couple of the last picks. They clearly want to rebuild in the next few drafts. Hoping McRae can find a spot, but it'll still be tough.

76ers don't care about anything they have right now other than a couple of the last picks. They clearly want to rebuild in the next few drafts. Hoping McRae can find a spot, but it'll still be tough.

Sam Hinkie of the Sixers is doing it the right way.....building towards a championship

VN Store

Back