Cal, Auburn, and Vols all in NIT?

VolnJC

That would be a fun matchup to see DT vs one of UTs former coaches in a tourney setting.

Auburn is 11-11
Cal is playing better and has won 3 in a row 14-9
Vols 13-9

It would be cool for Tennessee to play California in the NIT Final 4 or Championship game in Madison Square Garden.

Reactions: 4 people
Auburn has work to do if they're going to make the NIT. They're 11-12 and they likely lose the majority of their remaining games.

Reactions: 1 person
Only Cal will make it. UT and Auburn will be done when they're eliminated from the SECT.

Of course I would love to see us in the NCAA..but I just want to see the season prolonged as much as possible..to bridge the downtime till football season..I would normally be excited for softball but I don't think we are going to be great this year

I will never be excited or interested in an NIT game.
Silly to say that even if our Vols are playing in the CBI. Most probably don't know the lower tier tournaments. This is still the top 1/3 of NCAA basketball Division I teams:
1. NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship (Big Dance, March Madness)
Created in 1939, 32 Division I conference champions plus 36 at large teams
2. NCAA National Invitation Tournament (NIT, Little Dance)
Created in 1938, any team that won it's Division I regular season championship but lost its tournament (13 teams last year) plus at large bids to make a 32 team field, televised by ESPN, final 4 in Madison Square Garden
3. Gazelle Group College Basketball Invitational Tournament (CBI, May I have this dance? )
Created in 2007, 16 teams that were not selected for the NCAA or NIT, competes directly with CIT but does include major conference schools, championship is best 2 of 3 games.
4. College Insider.com Post Season Tournament (CIT, mid-majors only, majors not invited to this dance)
Created in 2009, 32 teams oriented toward mid-major schools that did not get selected to go to the NCAA or the NIT

Last edited:
They lifted the rule requiring .500 team or better, but they haven't had any so far.
Yet there are some "basketball purists" who think it would not be a significant accomplishment to win a 32 team tournament with 12 conference champions, 30 teams with 19 or more wins, and a couple with 17. Yet there are some like volfanhill who say, "I will never be excited or interested in an NIT game." A statement like that I don't understand and most people here would be interested in the Vols playing in a postseason tournament, I think. My opinion was that would be great to get in the Big Dance, but winning the NIT would mean more for this team than losing in the NCAA. I don't think there is anyone who would think they could win the NCAA, but what do I know, Connecticut, a #11 seed won it last year beating Calipari's pros in the process.

Yet there are some "basketball purists" who think it would not be a significant accomplishment to win a 32 team tournament with 12 conference champions, 30 teams with 19 or more wins, and a couple with 17. Yet there are some like volfanhill who say, "I will never be excited or interested in an NIT game." A statement like that I don't understand and most people here would be interested in the Vols playing in a postseason tournament, I think. My opinion was that would be great to get in the Big Dance, but winning the NIT would mean more for this team than losing in the NCAA. I don't think there is anyone who would think they could win the NCAA, but what do I know, Connecticut, a #11 seed won it last year beating Calipari's pros in the process.

Yea, there was so much interest in the NIT when we played Mercer as a 2 seed.

Attendance: 4,468

Mercer Bears vs. Tennessee Volunteers - Box Score - March 20, 2013 - ESPN

Reactions: 2 people

Most people here wouldn't be excited about a NIT bid.

No wonder the players didn't give a crap, the fans didn't either.

That's the point SD can't seem to grasp. He keeps acting like we're some kind of basketball snobs, the fact is the NIT is generally ignored by the vast majority of the entire fanbase.

And for all the "research" he keeps doing (i.e. copying and pasting), he fails to mention that several major conference teams have refused to play in it after not getting into the NCAAT. And UCLA won the NIT in 1985 yet do not have a banner hanging nor do they hardly mention it.

VN Store

Back