NCAA Basketball Postseason Men's Tournaments

SeniorDrill

Thought this would be of interest since most probably don't know the lower tier tournaments:
1. NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship (Big Dance, March Madness)
Created in 1939, 32 Division I conference champions plus 36 at large teams
2. NCAA National Invitation Tournament (NIT, Little Dance)
Created in 1938, any team that won it's Division I regular season championship but lost its tournament (13 teams last year) plus at large bids to make a 32 team field, televised by ESPN, final 4 in Madison Square Garden
3. Gazelle Group College Basketball Invitational Tournament (CBI, May I have this dance? :))
Created in 2007, 16 teams that were not selected for the NCAA or NIT, competes directly with CIT but does include major conference schools, championship is best 2 of 3 games.
4. College Insider.com Post Season Tournament (CIT, mid-majors only, majors not invited to this dance)
Created in 2009, 32 teams oriented toward mid-major schools that did not get selected to go to the NCAA or the NIT

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
So there's 1 people care about and 3 others most everyone doesn't.

I think most people did know this.

Reactions: 1 person
For a while, there was a weird streak where teams that did well in the CBI did unusually well the next year in the regular season/NCAAT.

2010: VCU wins CBI, goes to Final Four next year
2011: Creighton finishes runner-up, goes 29-6 next year and to Round of 32
2012: Butler goes to CBI final four, goes 27-9 and to Round of 32 next season

Last edited:
For a while, there was a weird streak where teams that did well in the CBI did unusually well the next year in the regular season/NCAAT.

I thin Butler's success prior to 2012 had more to do with their post 2012 success.

Round of 32 isn't very good

RTT, "You never know the exact size of the NIT field, but last year 13 major conference teams got in with RPIs ranging from 49-88. For the Vols' RPI to finish in that window before we get to Nashville, RPI Forecast projects the Vols need to finish 17-13 (9-9), which means winning three of our last five games." I think 17 wins including a tourney win would also work.
Tennessee Basketball: NIT Bracket Math & Ole Miss Preview - Rocky Top Talk

I like the dream of winning out and taking the SEC title for an automatic NCAA bid.

Reactions: 3 people
I think Tennessee will make it to the NIT with a 16-14 regular season record and a win in the SEC Tournament.

RTT, "You never know the exact size of the NIT field, but last year 13 major conference teams got in with RPIs ranging from 49-88. For the Vols' RPI to finish in that window before we get to Nashville, RPI Forecast projects the Vols need to finish 17-13 (9-9), which means winning three of our last five games." I think 17 wins including a tourney win would also work.
Tennessee Basketball: NIT Bracket Math & Ole Miss Preview - Rocky Top Talk

You seem to keep missing the point that all this is LAST YEAR. That had zero bearing on what is going to happen THIS year. What if there are zero upsets in conference tournaments? Hmmm? That would really screw everything up regarding your argument for the NIT. ...

Reactions: 1 person
Where r all the posters saying we were an NCAA tourney team? They are at exactly where a lot of people thought but they all hated us..lol

This team n staff have a long way to go to be contenders but that's what you get when your ad goes for door #3..

Where r all the posters saying we were an NCAA tourney team? They are at exactly where a lot of people thought but they all hated us..lol

This team n staff have a long way to go to be contenders but that's what you get when your ad goes for door #3..

Well we still are,we just gotta get some wins up

#3 is better than what you could do, this is a good staff, and the team plays hard with no give up. be positive instead of acting like you have all the answers.
I didn't predict anything, but I don't act like I know more than the AD, he's doing a good job too.
GO VOLS!!!

Well buddy, most people including all media and coaches had Tennessee projected to be last or next to last in the SEC with no post season tournament birth. So they are actually still doing better than most everybody thought. The NIT or CBI would be an accomplishment and step in the right direction getting back to the NCAA.

Well buddy, most people including all media and coaches had Tennessee projected to be last or next to last in the SEC with no post season tournament birth. So they are actually still doing better than most everybody thought. The NIT or CBI would be an accomplishment and step in the right direction getting back to the NCAA.

I disagree on CBI, seemed most preseason expected to make the NIT.

VN Store

Back