Tyndall on SEC officiating

iKrager

After watching the Bulldogs shoot 35 free throws to 17 for the Vols, the Tipoff crowd was eager to hear Tyndall’s take on the officiating.

He bit softly.

“There is a procedure in place where you can rank these officials and complain,’’ Tyndall said, “but a lot of times it can be counterproductive.

“A lot of these officials are basically tenured. They’re locked in, got a good resume. If you call in and complain and they hear you called in to complain, it can almost work against you.

“I don’t do much of that. You’ve got to be good enough to play through the mistakes of the officials.’’

Found on the same article SeniorDrill linked you to in the recruiting, just thought I'd share this bit of info.

Donnie Tyndall on recruiting:

Reactions: 6 people
I agree with him! It will hurt us more if he complained. They would definitely have it out for him and the team.Just have to play the opponents and the referees! Meaning ...work extra hard!

I didn't understand why the refs didn't go to the replay when they gave the ball to Miss. St saying it touched a UT player when the replay showed it didn't. The play ocurred just before half time and gave Miss St a two point lead.

Reactions: 1 person
:loco:
What number do I call to rank the officials and lodge a complaint?

Supervisor of SEC basketball officials is John Clockerty. No "zebra" ever hated Tennessee more! Lack of integrity is a severe understatement when describing this nest of vermin. :hi:

Reactions: 2 people
At some point, everyone will realize how bad officiating is in the leagues. It's been going downhill for the past 5 years. Unfortunately, the AA and SEC don't see it because, ahhhhhhhhh, nose up in the air...........we gotta a good job of doing nothing, etc. Officiating from the pro's down to the college level is horrible, to say the least. Some say that you have to just play through the calls. Why? Why would you have to play through egregious calls that color the complexion of the game? We need good officiating in all college sports and we need it now.

I love UT basketball. Have loved it for 5 decades. But I've had my fill. If UT doesn't want to take this issue on, why should I care? It's becoming like pro wrestling. One big farce. And it's not just our games, it is pathetic in other teams' games as well.

The rest of the nation knows how SEC officials are in both basketball and football. Corruption is hard to hide.

Reactions: 3 people
It's pathetic that the coaches and referees can't have a level of communication. The refs are such egotistical, power hungry fools that they can't allow their ego to get checked. God forbid a coach call in and complain. I remember when Martin publicly stated that Stokes wasn't getting fair treatment in games. The next game against Bama he got a number of calls. Maybe Tyndall needs to do that.

Reactions: 3 people
I love UT basketball. Have loved it for 5 decades. But I've had my fill. If UT doesn't want to take this issue on, why should I care? It's becoming like pro wrestling. One big farce. And it's not just our games, it is pathetic in other teams' games as well.

The rest of the nation knows how SEC officials are in both basketball and football. Corruption is hard to hide.

It's not just the SEC, officiating in college football and basketball is at it's lowest point. The AA needs to be relegated to the back rooms from whence it came.

It's pathetic that the coaches and referees can't have a level of communication. The refs are such egotistical, power hungry fools that they can't allow their ego to get checked. God forbid a coach call in and complain. I remember when Martin publicly stated that Stokes wasn't getting fair treatment in games. The next game against Bama he got a number of calls. Maybe Tyndall needs to do that.

Good point.

College basketball officiating is the worst of any major sport IMHO. It's by far the most inconsistent, and way too much is dictacted by the individual refs and however they are feeling that night.

At some point, everyone will realize how bad officiating is in the leagues. It's been going downhill for the past 5 years. Unfortunately, the AA and SEC don't see it because, ahhhhhhhhh, nose up in the air...........we gotta a good job of doing nothing, etc. Officiating from the pro's down to the college level is horrible, to say the least. Some say that you have to just play through the calls. Why? Why would you have to play through egregious calls that color the complexion of the game? We need good officiating in all college sports and we need it now.

I agree officiating should be monitored much better. This might sound extreme but I think it should be monitored by legal professionals and experts(former players and officials) Theirs way too much at stake and nobody truly holding them accountable.

College basketball officiating is the worst of any major sport IMHO. It's by far the most inconsistent, and way too much is dictacted by the individual refs and however they are feeling that night.

Yup, and that is why I favor college football over it. There are few sports where a ref holds as much control over the game as basketball. You mix that with a ref that has a huge ego and is a power hungry buffoon (read: Teddy Valentine) and then you have a bad mixture. I can't think of any other sport where a ref craves the attention like they do in basketball and makes a mockery of it when they make their calls.

Found on the same article SeniorDrill linked you to in the recruiting, just thought I'd share this bit of info.
Donnie Tyndall on recruiting:
Nice highlight from the article, Krag. I think you just pointed out another reason this coach is exceptional. If you don't criticize the officials in a game that your opponent hit 25 of 35 free throws while you hit 11 of 17 (double) because you think it might hurt your team in the future, that's coaching. I don't know about your team has to be good enough to play through the officiating remark. It seems like the deck was stacked in this game.

Rather like fire marshals & food inspectors. :detective:

Rather like fire marshals & food inspectors. :detective:
You can't convince me there is not money changing hands in some of these games especially with "tenured" officials. Think about how valuable it would be if you turn a 9 point underdog into a winner. There is no other excuse for a team shooting 35 foul shots to our 17 with a coach emphasizing no fouls to his team like Tyndall has. It's called get rich quick. Those who have been around a while know how to play the game. There is too much money in college basketball to not have corrupt officials.

I've posted this a bunch of times, that at the end of the day games are won by players, not refs. But this year has seen some of the ugliest games in the SEC ever. For all the crap you give UK about refs, there are have been some terribly called games for the Cats. Vols have some ugly ones too. Wish the conference, and nation could do something about it.

Here are the total fouls in SEC play. Tennessee: 166, opponents played: 164. Not a big difference. To me, in any sport, if you resort to blaming refs, you've reached the bottom rung. As an athlete, you must adapt and if you're incapable of adapting, you deserve to lose.

Last edited:
Here are the total fouls in SEC play. Tennessee: 166, opponents played: 164. Not a big difference. To me, in any sport, if you resort to blaming refs, you've reached the bottom rung. As an athlete, you must adapt and if you're incapable of adapting, you deserve to lose.
That is apples and oranges. We are talking individual games with different crews. yep, real insightful for sure. Your team deserves to lose if one bad call gives the victory to the other team much less a dozen. That has to be the stupidest statement I ever heard On par with the call that lost the Super Bowl.

Wait, I thought if the team had a bunch of calls against it , it is the coach's fault? Shouldn't Tyndall be getting some techs or screaming and hollering on the sideline?

That is apples and oranges. We are talking individual games with different crews. yep, real insightful for sure. Your team deserves to lose if one bad call gives the victory to the other team much less a dozen. That has to be the stupidest statement I ever heard On par with the call that lost the Super Bowl.

In 9 SEC games, Tennessee out fouled it's opponent 3 times. That's it. Blaming officials is the easiest argument with the least substance. There's always SOMETHING the team or coach could've done to win. Hit more of the free throws taken, don't miss as many layups, etc. Or in the case of Tuesday, not slam a game tying dunk off the back of the rim. But, no, it's only the refs fault. There was even a game when the TV announcers said that the Tennessee players need to quit complaining about the refs and play. That's awful when you get called out like that.

Last edited:
In 9 SEC games, Tennessee out fouled it's opponent 3 times. That's it. Blaming officials is the easiest argument with the least substance. There's always SOMETHING the team or coach could've done to win. Hit more of the free throws taken, don't miss as many layups, etc. Or in the case of Tuesday, not slam a game tying dunk off the back of the rim. But, no, it's only the refs fault. There was even a game when the TV announcers said that the Tennessee players need to quit complaining about the refs and play. That's awful when you get called out like that.

Do you think TV announcers aren't biased?

If you reach a point where officiating is altering either team's play, then you, as an official, are doing your job completely wrong. You don't change the flow of the game, you simply let it happen. If you leave the arena and the entire crowd knows your name (or is tweeting at you, and you are blowing kisses to the fans, etc) then you have failed at your job. You are to be invisible if possible.

Course, that's just what a 30+ year umpire and basketball referee taught me when I was doing training to ump high school baseball, maybe all those years and being hired by the state to teach were wrong.

Do you think TV announcers aren't biased?

If you reach a point where officiating is altering either team's play, then you, as an official, are doing your job completely wrong. You don't change the flow of the game, you simply let it happen. If you leave the arena and the entire crowd knows your name (or is tweeting at you, and you are blowing kisses to the fans, etc) then you have failed at your job. You are to be invisible if possible.

Course, that's just what a 30+ year umpire and basketball referee taught me when I was doing training to ump high school baseball, maybe all those years and being hired by the state to teach were wrong.

I umpire too. I don't change what my strike zone is just because the players don't like it. That's the point. They have to adapt to what's being called. If they can't adapt, then they deserve to lose. I'm not saying the refs are perfect. They're not. But to blame them for a loss is the most petty thing you can do on the field/court.

Do you referee basketball also?

My father refereed 15 years or so. I know enough.

The point is, if the refs are calling hip checks, don't hip check. Don't whine and cry about it. Adjust. Don't say "well this crew didn't call it". Who cares? It's a different day. That's the equivalent of a pitcher saying the last game the outside black was a strike, but today it isn't. Who cares? I'm not calling it today, he's got to start adjusting.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back