Bruce's return to Knoxville.

BurninOrange

All about dem Vols!
Nice read for anyone who wants to.

NCAAM Bruce Pearl returns to Knoxville - ESPN

Bruce Pearl returns to Knoxville
Chris Low [ARCHIVE]

ESPN.com | January 30, 2015

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Bruce Pearl elevated Tennessee basketball to unprecedented heights during his six electrifying seasons as the Vols' pied piper of hoops.

As shrewd a showman as he was a coach, Pearl went to the NCAA tournament every year, including three Sweet 16 trips and the school's first-ever Elite Eight appearance, and even took the Vols to a No. 1 ranking in the polls for a week during the 2007-08 season.

But just like that, he was gone, fired after lying to NCAA investigators about a cookout at his home that was attended by recruits and subsequently shackled with a three-year show-cause penalty.

Bruce Pearl wants to make something clear: Auburn is his home now.
Tennessee fans were distraught, and many of them are still bitter to this day, that something so good could end so badly, especially when Pearl's transgressions didn't involve either one of the NCAA's supposed no-no's -- money changing hands or academic fraud.
In what's sure to be a surreal setting, it all comes full circle on Saturday when Pearl returns to Thompson-Boling Arena on the "other" bench to lead his Auburn team against Tennessee (noon ET, ESPN2 & WatchESPN.com).

He's not sure what kind of reception he'll receive, but insists the good memories for him far outweigh the bad.

"It was a special time and a very rare run," Pearl told ESPN.com this week. "Tremendous things happened in that building for me and my family, from Chris Lofton hitting that 3-pointer from the hash mark over Kevin Durant when we beat Texas, to my children's high school graduations and college graduations, to me and [wife] Brandy hosting "An Evening in Orange" and raising $1 million for the Cancer Institute at UT Medical Center."

That fundraiser, by the way, was held a month after Pearl was fired, further proof that he left a little piece of himself on Rocky Top. In fact, he and Brandy are scheduled to help with another charity event Friday night in Knoxville to benefit children with multiple handicaps.

"Just because you leave doesn't mean you forget," Pearl said. "We still have a lot of family and friends in Knoxville, a lot of people who supported us, and we still stay in touch. But I live in Auburn now, have a home in Auburn, and Auburn is home.

"I'm an Auburn man. There's no confusion there."

Reactions: 1 person
It's like being with a girl you had a serious relationship with, went through a lot a good times. Then, all of the sudden you break up, and starts dating one of your friends and you see her all over town. Why couldn't he just went somewhere we don't have to see him all the time.

Reactions: 1 person
Tennessee will send Bruce back to Auburn a loser. Tennessee will win by 5

Buck Fruce

wow for a man who did so much for this university and basketball program thats a pretty classless post, he's not said one bad thing about Tennessee since he left in fact he's done nothing but pump UT up and talk about how special it is here.

Reactions: 11 people
Bruce come back. I miss your personality, the winning, your recruiting, the winning, your love for the ladies, and most of all , the winning.

Reactions: 8 people
wow for a man who did so much for this university and basketball program thats a pretty classless post, he's not said one bad thing about Tennessee since he left in fact he's done nothing but pump UT up and talk about how special it is here.

He's no longer the head coach so who cares

Reactions: 2 people

He's holding out hope that he'll be hired back if Donnie gets fired

Heard Bruce Pearl this afternoon on 104.5 talking about the upcoming game in Knoxville. He was very gracious & quite complimentary of the job CDT has done at UT. Want the Vols to win, of course, but I hope the fans in Knoxville give Bruce a warm reception.

It'd be funny to see BO fans hoisting hotdog posters . He's down on the farm now and UT is only a memory . :birgits_giggle: Cue the flamers.

Wish I could go. Whoever goes, do me a favor.

-Cheer loud when he's introduced. Make him feel welcome and appreciated. We owe a great deal to the man for breathing life into our basketball program. He did not leave by choice. (Cheer even louder for Donnie)

-Do not boo. He lied to the NCAA. That's his only crime. He was doing his best for our school and did a damn fine job.

-Be the sixth man. Get loud at the game and do your part to send him home feeling respected, but send him home a loser!

Go Vols!

Reactions: 3 people
Yep. The cool thing is to act like you dont care for him, and forget about the success during that time.

I like DT and all but Id take BP over him before tip off tomorrow. But I do hope Tennessee wins though.

VN Store

Back