Is it just me, or . . .

goodnight_vol

Are there way more three-point "shooters" flopping and throwing themselves into defenders to draw a foul this year? I hate this trend.

Reactions: 4 people
Never been a fan of that. If it affects your normal shooting motion it should be a foul. If you change your motion to initiate contact, then it shouldn't imo

Reactions: 3 people
Its part of the game, smart basketball really. If the defender leaves his feet, by all means, take advantage.

Are there way more three-point "shooters" flopping and throwing themselves into defenders to draw a foul this year? I hate this trend.

I agree and blame the officials. If they're going to continue to call the obvious lean into the defender, then guys will continue to do it. I understand in most cases the defender has left his feet. But I believe he is still entitled to his space. Or maybe its a rules thing. Either way, it needs to be addressed and changed. imo

Its part of the game, smart basketball really. If the defender leaves his feet, by all means, take advantage.

If the defender jumps towards the shooter then ok; but when the defender goes straight up and the shooter jumps or leans into the defender, that shouldn't be a foul.

Reactions: 1 person
This can and should be addressed by the NCAA rules enforcement. If they can mess with the interpretation of the hand check rule, they can fix this. Easier fix.

Reactions: 1 person

I think Andy Kennedy at Ole Miss must teach it to his 3-pt shooters as Stephon Moody did it numerous times in the Rebel's game last night, especially down the stretch when they were trailing (and I suspect his teammates might have gotten tired of his ball-hogging). Marshall Henderson also would literally launch himself at the defender on 3-pt. shots, apparently trying to always get 4-pt plays as most of what he threw up always seemed to go in (or at least that appeared to be the case when the Rebels were playing UT).

That crap is annoying. I feel if the offensive player initiates the contact, it should be a no call or an offensive foul.

Remember the Reggie Miller kick? He would go up for a 3 and if the defender was running by he would stick his leg out in mid-air drawing contact. It was amazing how often he got that call. I remember Pippen and Jordan going ballistic when he did that.

If you want to see a great example of someone who makes a living doing this look at Jamal Crawford. He tends to extend his legs and leans funny when he shoots and draw a lot of fouls. I think he owns the record for most 4 pt plays in NBA history.

Moody did it in the UK game too. Seems like Andy teaches his shooters to do it in certain situations.

Like it or not, teams will do anything they can to get an advantage. Some guys just have some innate ability to draw contact AND make the basket. For others, its just a point of emphasis by their coaches.

Remember the Reggie Miller kick? He would go up for a 3 and if the defender was running by he would stick his leg out in mid-air drawing contact. It was amazing how often he got that call. I remember Pippen and Jordan going ballistic when he did that.

I loved me some Reggie...slight homo

Like it or not, teams will do anything they can to get an advantage. Some guys just have some innate ability to draw contact AND make the basket. For others, its just a point of emphasis by their coaches.

John Thompson used to coach grabbing the jersey and waistband and dragging the guy down if it was hidden from view of the refs. Georgetown had it down to a science. From the front it looked like the offensive player was just backing over the defender.

VN Store

Back